Ridiculed for taking time?

madbamahater

Many threads have discussed the current state of affairs of the athletic department and the athletic teams at UT. Over the last 8 years or more everyone has ridiculed Tennessee for making knee jerk reaction decisions about everything.

Is it possible that the powers that be just want to get all of this right for once? Not rushing into a fix something quickly decision?

The firing of Fulmer may have been past due but it was handled poorly and in a knee jerk way. Hiring Kiffin was purely knee jerk and the structuring of his contract led to his immediate in the heat of the night departure.

Dooley was a knee jerk reaction to that....

For once Tennessee is slow walking (appears to be) this AD process as well as OC process.

Could it be....they've learned from the past 8/9 years?

Your thoughts......

Reactions: 16 people
My thoughts are they knew this was coming. Hart didn't just quit. Look competent for once.

Reactions: 24 people
A good administration or business has a contingency plan if something happens

A good AD would have a list of potential coaches in case one of the current coaches decided to leave, get fired, etc.

The same would be for our BOT. Then, if something happens, you immediately start interviewing your list of top candidates. No search firm needed. Just good common sense

Our BOT is as useless as tits on a boar hog. Have been for decades

Reactions: 20 people
I think the biggest issue with this board is that there are a lot of regular Joe's who wish they were insiders. They don't like anything dragging out because of our Twitter/instant gratification society.

I love this board, but the only real thing we have control over is ticket and merchandise sales. Unless we want to start another coach petition or follow another recruit's cousin on Instagram.

Wear your Orange proudly and wait for Spring practice. That is when football starts.

Reactions: 10 people
The University will screw this hire up. The more time it takes, the more incompetent the school appears.

Reactions: 4 people
I think this ad search thing is a made up story for something to talk about. If Hart doesnt announce his retirement, UT could be doing this behind the scenes. But they are responsible for how it looks.

I feel a lot more confident that this will not be screwed up now with this big money donor future NFL team running guru is in on it....

Peyton-Manning-Thumbs-Up-Broncos.gif

Reactions: 5 people
Many threads have discussed the current state of affairs of the athletic department and the athletic teams at UT. Over the last 8 years or more everyone has ridiculed Tennessee for making knee jerk reaction decisions about everything.

Is it possible that the powers that be just want to get all of this right for once? Not rushing into a fix something quickly decision?

The firing of Fulmer may have been past due but it was handled poorly and in a knee jerk way. Hiring Kiffin was purely knee jerk and the structuring of his contract led to his immediate in the heat of the night departure.

For once Tennessee is slow walking (appears to be) this AD process as well as OC process.

Your thoughts......

Hart announced his pending retirement 6-7 MONTHS ago. This isn't a case of "taking time" to get it right. It certainly appears that it's a case of having no plan and having unhealthy dissension among the decision makers, especially with what appears to having 2 ideal candidates within an hour and a half radius of the campus.

Compare that to Alabama, who evidently got word from Bill Battle that he would retire in very recent days/weeks.....they hired his replacement before even announcing publicly that the position was even open. Who looks/is more competent with their respective AD searches?

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people

Your thoughts......

The firing of Fulmer was in no way a knee jerk reaction.

Reactions: 3 people
Hart announced his pending retirement 6-7 MONTHS ago. This isn't a case of "taking time" to get it right. It certainly appears that it's a case of having no plan and having unhealthy dissension among the decision makers, especially with what appears to having 2 ideal candidates within an hour and a half radius of the campus.

Compare that to Alabama, who evidently got word from Bill Battle that he would retire in very recent days/weeks.....they hired his replacement before even announcing publicly that the position was even open. Who looks/is more competent with their respective AD searches?

This is what makes it look worse, IMO. Our biggest rivalry is ruling the SEC in football and seems to have an answer for everything. Whereas, the UTAD would die of starvation while holding a sandwich.

Reactions: 2 people
Hart announced his retirement on August 18, 2016. There's no excuse to have not named a replacement by now as there are at least two good candidates (CPF and Blackburn). No excuse.

Reactions: 3 people
This is just a matter of bad timing. The AD's boss wants a say in who gets hired and she doesnt start for another month. Just sucks. Maybe im wrong but Blackburn must not be the grandslam hire we all think he is. There's no way he isnt more qualified than Fulmer is though. I wont be mad if Phil ends up getting the job but im not sure he's the best choice. But like most of us on here, I dont know $h#t about it.

Also, I dont think Blackburn's tweet about Bama hiring their new AD quickly did him any favors. Seems a tad childish????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
A good administration or business has a contingency plan if something happens

A good AD would have a list of potential coaches in case one of the current coaches decided to leave, get fired, etc.

There are some coaches on the Vol staff who I wish would decide to get fired.

This is just a matter of bad timing. The AD's boss wants a say in who gets hired and she doesnt start for another month. Just sucks. Maybe im wrong but Blackburn must not be the grandslam hire we all think he is. There's no way he isnt more qualified than Fulmer is though. I wont be mad if Phil ends up getting the job but im not sure he's the best choice. But like most of us on here, I dont know $h#t about it.

Also, I dont think Blackburn's tweet about Bama hiring their new AD quickly did him any favors. Seems a tad childish????

I agree the timing in all of this is bad. Knowing this, with the new chancellor to be named, why didn't Hart just stay on for another year or announce his retirement after Jan. 1? As Bama proved, they had their successor in a matter of minutes.

Am ok taking time for right person if there's truly a good reason for the delay. Think it's one of two things...either the new chancellor is causing delay (not on purpose, but b/c she's new, and wants to get it right), or more likely, there is a disconnect b/t administration and big boosters...you've got Copper Cellar folks posting their vote for Blackburn on social media, parallel to Fulmer interest, where certainly, just like VN, there will be some for and some against...which, of course, means it will probably be neither.

The firing of Fulmer was in no way a knee jerk reaction.

It most certainly was, the way it was handled. Fulmer could have been and possibly should have been fired 3 seasons before.....

Hamilton fired Fulmer in poor fashion and largely in part of freaking out because the fan base. He should have retained Fulmer one more season or at the very least, wait until end of that season and made a much better decision.

Hamilton was running around like a chicken with his head cut off and made very knee jerk, irrational decisions. The few times I was personally around him, you could tell he was very scatterbrained (especially during that time).......

Reactions: 2 people
Harts still ad. Don't know why we feel they should act fast. We need to let the chancellor get settled. I honestly don't care.

That's not really allowable. Being in control of your emotions and not immediately taking an uninformed position is no way to be a fan. :p

There's taking responsibility and executing your office and then there's setting behind a nice desk, surfing the internet for recipes, while getting a fat check for nothing.

I think the biggest issue with this board is that there are a lot of regular Joe's who wish they were insiders. They don't like anything dragging out because of our Twitter/instant gratification society.

I love this board, but the only real thing we have control over is ticket and merchandise sales. Unless we want to start another coach petition or follow another recruit's cousin on Instagram.

Wear your Orange proudly and wait for Spring practice. That is when football starts.

My brother was in the Navy in Viet Nam timeframe. He said ther commander would often have the sailors swab the deck with freshwater during a rainstorm to keep them occupied. Kept them busy complaining about something instead of sitting below stewing.

Whole university seems to be taking one of Butch's famous quotes to heart (or Hart): "F$*& all of them."

VN Store

Back