State of Athletic Dept

bnhunt

I know it's been talked about repeatedly, but how did the state of our athletic department get this damn bad? I cannot believe how bad our basketball teams are and the football team is only slightly less dysfunctional.

Reactions: 2 people
I know it's been talked about repeatedly, but how did the state of our athletic department get this damn bad? I cannot believe how bad our basketball teams are and the football team is only slightly less dysfunctional.

Really bad hires
It's all Daves fault
Jones is fixing things
Assistants suck

Reactions: 1 person
Really bad hires
It's all Daves fault
Jones is fixing things
Assistants suck

I would give Dave Hart a solid B with his hires. Warlick was the no brainer choice, timing was perfect for Barnes, and as I remember, Manning had something to do with the Jones/UT connection.

Also, Jones was the best coach available that was willing to take over the dumpster fire of post-Dooley UT football.

I think a more accurate statement would be that Jones was the best coach available, at the time, for the amount of money we were willing to spend. I don't care how bad the roster is, good coaches will follow the money.

Reactions: 6 people
I think a more accurate statement would be that Jones was the best coach available, at the time, for the amount of money we were willing to spend. I don't care how bad the roster is, good coaches will follow the money.
Who has ever wanted to coach here and ultimately didn't take the job because we weren't willing to pay fair market value?

Reactions: 2 people
Jones was available at a discount price.
Butch Jones is the 18th highest paid coach in CFB at about 4.1 million/year. At the time he was hired it was even higher than that (around #10). With an extra million per year, he'd currently be #7 in the country. What kind of discount are you talking about?

Reactions: 3 people
Butch Jones is the 18th highest paid coach in CFB at about 4.1 million/year. At the time he was hired it was even higher than that (around #10). With an extra million per year, he'd currently be #7 in the country. What kind of discount are you talking about?

And we have the 18th best team.

I would give Dave Hart a solid B with his hires. Warlick was the no brainer choice, timing was perfect for Barnes, and as I remember, Manning had something to do with the Jones/UT connection.

Yes, Manning approved of Jones.

And Jones has been a good hire. Those that have a problem wanted Gruden or someone else who wasn't interested in the job - and they have never gotten over that.

Bad hire = need to replace in year 2 or 3 because team is still losing badly with no bowl games and is not competitive on the field.

The truth is 3 successive winning seasons, 3 bowl games, 2 years in a row ranked at the end in the top 25. Season ticket sales last season were highest ever .... etc.

Yes I know some are going to point out who we lost to and what should have been - but there is no way to dispute that progress has been made and that Jones has re-established the football program to a level way above where it was when the down trend started.

Reactions: 5 people
For basketball it was Pearl being an idiot and lying about something stupid -- FB firing Fulmer with no decent name coach set up to replace him -- all Hamiltons watch and Hamilton should have been fired when Kiffin bolted

Reactions: 6 people

No way that's true. His initial contract was only for like 3.2 million per year.

No, Manning had tried to sell Butch to Colorado. Oddly enough, he soon wound up at UT.

And Jones has been a good hire. Those that have a problem wanted Gruden or someone else who wasn't interested in the job - and they have never gotten over that.

Bad hire = need to replace in year 2 or 3 because team is still losing badly with no bowl games and is not competitive on the field.

The truth is 3 successive winning seasons, 3 bowl games, 2 years in a row ranked at the end in the top 25. Season ticket sales last season were highest ever .... etc.

Yes I know some are going to point out who we lost to and what should have been - but there is no way to dispute that progress has been made and that Jones has re-established the football program to a level way above where it was when the down trend started.

Jones is better than Dooley more less.

i honestly would not count bowl games as a success. you just need to be .500 to go.

i would look at his success in recruiting and giving some type of stability. his recruiting helped ticket sales go up.

I don't believe this for a second

I believe it is true. When one refuses to look at the improvements made in every facet of the football program, they often make statements which are difficult for most people to comprehend. Keep trying.

VN Store

Back