TN made a mistake letting Martinez go

secking

Not as an on field coach, but since you have to pay his buyout, why not put him in the support role as a recruiting analyst? He has plenty of Miami ties, seems to be wasting money just to pay him to go away when you could reduce his salary, still save money, and increase support staff without having to increase payroll.

Argument is he wouldn't accept, he probably would as he is looking at Ga Southern as a landing spot, not nearly his pay at TN (so TN still has to pay difference in salary). If offered the role and he refuses, then he submits resignation and no buyout is due. Missed opportunity in my humble opinion.

Reactions: 5 people
Not as an on field coach, but since you have to pay his buyout, why not put him in the support role as a recruiting analyst? He has plenty of Miami ties, seems to be wasting money just to pay him to go away when you could reduce his salary, still save money, and increase support staff without having to increase payroll.

Argument is he wouldn't accept, he probably would as he is looking at Ga Southern as a landing spot, not nearly his pay at TN (so TN still has to pay difference in salary). If offered the role and he refuses, then he submits resignation and no buyout is due. Missed opportunity in my humble opinion.

Martinez had to 'sit out' the Bowling Green game in 2015 for some recruiting shenanigans. Maybe there was more of that going on that we do not know about and CBJ decided to cut bait?

Reactions: 8 people

I really don't see this as a way to get around a buyout. He signed to be a DB's coach on a contract. He can refused a demotion. He's signed to that job till he quits or you fire him. He(And anyone else) would want that buy out money. It's just part of the business. Paying him 390,000 to be a Recruiting Analyst, while someone else coaches all of your DBs would be harsh.

Just gotta cut him lose, bandage up your financial wounds, and sign the best coach you can find to replace him. Which I feel like we attempted to do. I think it's a very solid hire.

Reactions: 6 people
Futurama-Fry.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
So you're more interested in saving money than improving our team?

No, fire him as 'coach', hire him as recruiting analyst since you are paying him anyway. Make him earn the buyout, he can recruit, if he refuses he resigns and UT can put that extra money on a QB coach.

This had to happen after the way our Dbs were abused all year if we were going to have any remote hope that we could turn it around.

People were saying that Shoop and Martinez were at odds as though that were news. How could they not be when upper classmen are getting destroyed and employing bad technique week after week.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
His contract was for him to be the DB coach. You can't just "move him to recruiting analyst" and avoid the buyout without his consent.

Reactions: 1 person
Martinez' contract had expired. It was NOT renewed, and was not extended when the other position coaches were. The University of Tennessee does not owe him any money.

Reactions: 10 people
I'm sure the season ticket holders would gladly pay a few extra dollars to make up for his buyout if they asked. Nonetheless, UT can afford it.

No, fire him as 'coach', hire him as recruiting analyst since you are paying him anyway. Make him earn the buyout, he can recruit, if he refuses he resigns and UT can put that extra money on a QB coach.
Analyst and coach are two different contracts. Would still have to buy out

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back