Dan Wolken on UT AD Search:

LifeisO&W

MaconVol
"Already hearing people in the industry grumble about Alabama out-maneuvering Tennessee on the AD hire. Have heard wacky stuff on Vols."

"Very political. Not your standard AD search."

"Typical search = Hire search firm, find best up and coming AD with appropriate resume. This isn't going that way as of now."

All quotes from Twitter.

Reactions: 4 people
"Already hearing people in the industry grumble about Alabama out-maneuvering Tennessee on the AD hire. Have heard wacky stuff on Vols."

"Very political. Not your standard AD search."

"Typical search = Hire search firm, find best up and coming AD with appropriate resume. This isn't going that way as of now."

All quotes from Twitter.

Twitter is not a source. It's a platform.

Care to attribute the sources?

Reactions: 10 people
It's obvious the pilot folks have an issue with Blackburn. Seeing Calhouns come out and publicly endorse Blackburn is a telling sign. Fans need to keep standing up for what they believe. Time to take back this athletic department and restore our name in sports.

Reactions: 7 people
Who all can we write to voice our concerns? I'm sending emails to everybody and I'll start hand writing letters if I have to. Will they ever be read? Probably not. But at least I'll feel like I made a difference. Lol

Reactions: 1 person
I don't understand people's irrational hate of Twitter.

Agreed. Most of these people have jobs as journalists, whether we like them or not (Travis Haney - I like him), and they're not gonna post anything on twitter that hasn't been verified by multiple sources. They don't wanna look like fools in front of their the world and, more importantly, their journalistic peers. Usually things that come from Wolken, Haney, Feldman, FootballScoop, and many others can be taken as fact.

it's obvious the pilot folks have an issue with blackburn. Seeing calhouns come out and publicly endorse blackburn is a telling sign. Fans need to keep standing up for what they believe. Time to take back this athletic department and restore our name in sports.

#mtga

Maybe I'm crazy here, but I'm not really worried about Blackburn getting passed over. This lady, Beverly Davenport just got the job. She is going to dot all her "i's" and cross all her "t's" in this age of social justice. She has to give time to applicants of all race and gender and not have it look like this is a choice made only by the good old boys money club at UT. Honestly, I tend to think she's just trying to cover her ass in her first big task at her new job. First female chancellor...she doesn't want to screw this up.

Reactions: 9 people
Until the Admin and BoT get serious about making UT sports top notch again nothing good will get done.

We need a new AD whos main goal is making ALL of our UT sports programs top notch again with the Admin and BoT agreeing to spend the $$$ to accomplish those goals like other programs have done.

We need 3 things IMO...

1...A serious online petition written by someone with a legal background to state our case but in language that the average person can understand it all.

2...The same petition on paper so that hundreds or more can be printed and circulated everywhere for people to sign.

3...A serious committee put together to get these things done, get emails flying and get people involved everywhere out and about getting the paper petitions signed.

This needs to get going NOW because we're running out of time!

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I wrote this email to President DiPietro:

"I write you to stress my concern for the way my beloved University is being ridiculed and laughed at across the country. I attended Tennessee for almost 7 years. I received my bachelors with honors and I graduated from Tennessee Law where I was in the top of my class. My point is academics are important to me, but that's not why I came to Tennessee.

I'm glad the University takes academics seriously and strives to become a top 25 public institution. I know there is value in my degrees. I'm happy to look around and see the new construction and campus growing. However, when did we lose focus on our athletics? I chose to come to Tennessee because I remember holding my parent's hand as we rushed to make kickoff. I remember learning to sing Rocky Top, battling the freezing cold to see some amazing games, watching some of the best players in the history of football play in Neyland, seeing Pat cut the nets down, and so many more amazing, cherished memories on Rocky Top. The Vols make fan's Monday's better, their hard times easier, and give them a reason to smile in a tough world. The University of Tennessee Volunteers brought my family together, they bring this State together, and they bring people together all across the country.

The current administration has embarrassed Tennessee and made us look like fools. We are frequently mocked and the punch line of many jokes. I'm sure you've seen where we finished dead last in the SEC in fall sports. I wonder if you have seen the numerous tweets, articles, and letters from national media members detailing how our beloved University is incompetent, "whack-o", and other foolish names. How we are being outdone by Alabama, Kentucky, Florida, and other schools all across the country. It seems our University is more in the news for trying to eliminate gender pronouns and Christmas parties than athletic success.

I know academics are important, but so are athletics, especially at Tennessee. We can improve in both. Think about the results of a successful athletic department on the furtherance of the University's academic goals. More students, more money, more publicity, and the benefits go on and on. Tennessee is not an Ivy League school, while we can improve academically and be a top 25 public institution, our greatest asset is that we are the home of the Vols. We must be true to ourselves and be proud of our identity: A strong southern school that plays a little football on the weekends.

The University of Tennessee means a lot to a lot of people, including me. It is dear to my heart. I love the University of Tennessee and I will always advocate on its behalf. Tennessee deserves nothing but the best. It means something to wear that Power T on your chest. But lately people have been ashamed and embarrassed to show their pride for Tennessee because they know they'll be met with laughs and ridicule. We want our Vols back. We want David Blackburn for the athletic director of Tennessee. Please quit delaying this process and begin restoring Tennessee's national reputation. Thank you! "

Reactions: 26 people

"I write you to stress my concern for the way my beloved University is being ridiculed and laughed at across the country. I attended Tennessee for almost 7 years. I received my bachelors with honors and I graduated from Tennessee Law where I was in the top of my class. My point is academics are important to me, but that's not why I came to Tennessee.

I'm glad the University takes academics seriously and strives to become a top 25 public institution. I know there is value in my degrees. I'm happy to look around and see the new construction and campus growing. However, when did we lose focus on our athletics? I chose to come to Tennessee because I remember holding my parent's hand as we rushed to make kickoff. I remember learning to sing Rocky Top, battling the freezing cold to see some amazing games, watching some of the best players in the history of football play in Neyland, seeing Pat cut the nets down, and so many more amazing, cherished memories on Rocky Top. The Vols make fan's Monday's better, their hard times easier, and give them a reason to smile in a tough world. The University of Tennessee Volunteers brought my family together, they bring this State together, and they bring people together all across the country.

The current administration has embarrassed Tennessee and made us look like fools. We are frequently mocked and the punch line of many jokes. I'm sure you've seen where we finished dead last in the SEC in fall sports. I wonder if you have seen the numerous tweets, articles, and letters from national media members detailing how our beloved University is incompetent, "whack-o", and other foolish names. How we are being outdone by Alabama, Kentucky, Florida, and other schools all across the country. It seems our University is more in the news for trying to eliminate gender pronouns and Christmas parties than athletic success.

I know academics are important, but so are athletics, especially at Tennessee. We can improve in both. Think about the results of a successful athletic department on the furtherance of the University's academic goals. More students, more money, more publicity, and the benefits go on and on. Tennessee is not an Ivy League school, while we can improve academically and be a top 25 public institution, our greatest asset is that we are the home of the Vols. We must be true to ourselves and be proud of our identity: A strong southern school that plays a little football on the weekends.

The University of Tennessee means a lot to a lot of people, including me. It is dear to my heart. I love the University of Tennessee and I will always advocate on its behalf. Tennessee deserves nothing but the best. It means something to wear that Power T on your chest. But lately people have been ashamed and embarrassed to show their pride for Tennessee because they know they'll be met with laughs and ridicule. We want our Vols back. We want David Blackburn for the athletic director of Tennessee. Please quit delaying this process and begin restoring Tennessee's national reputation. Thank you! "
U told him!...My money says Blackburn will be named AD by noon

Reactions: 3 people
It's obvious the pilot folks have an issue with Blackburn. Seeing Calhouns come out and publicly endorse Blackburn is a telling sign. Fans need to keep standing up for what they believe. Time to take back this athletic department and restore our name in sports.

Based on what?

I don't feel any of this. So we are waiting to hire an ad. Ok, one will be hired soon. It will be ok.

Reactions: 4 people

A person coming from an educational point of view probably stopped reading at this point.

Reactions: 6 people
Tennessee getting "political" with the AD hire is code for they want anyone but a white male. And based on some of the social justice garbage we've seen on The Hill, it makes sense.

Reactions: 9 people
Maybe I'm crazy here, but I'm not really worried about Blackburn getting passed over. This lady, Beverly Davenport just got the job. She is going to dot all her "i's" and cross all her "t's" in this age of social justice. She has to give time to applicants of all race and gender and not have it look like this is a choice made only by the good old boys money club at UT. Honestly, I tend to think she's just trying to cover her ass in her first big task at her new job. First female chancellor...she doesn't want to screw this up.

This is probably right, and incredibly stupid.

It's gonna suck not having a parking pass anymore.

VN Store

Back