Looking back at the Mike DeBord era

Titans Fan

How will you remember the DeBord era?

Second most rushing yards in a season in 2015. The Vols rushed for 2,908 yards in DeBord’s first season under Butch Jones, second only to the 1951 Vols (3,068). Tennessee finished with 2,668 rushing yards in 2016, ranking fourth all-time in school history, just shy of the 1950 Vols who rushed for the school’s third best in a season with 2,710 yards.

Tennessee’s offense averaged 443.7 yards and 36.4 points per game. Team 120 set a single-season school record of 63 total touchdowns. The Vols also produced 473 total points, the second most points in a season behind the 1993 team (484 points) and a year removed from scoring 457 points in 2015, just shy of the 1990 Vols’ 465 points (third all-time in school history).

Looking back at the Mike DeBord era on Rocky Top

Reactions: 11 people
I thought he did a good job. Conservative and predictable but still did well against previous Vol teams. It a new era for football, I want our new OC to compete against the best in all of football not just last year's #s.

Release the Beast!

Reactions: 3 people
How will you remember the DeBord era?

Second most rushing yards in a season in 2015. The Vols rushed for 2,908 yards in DeBord’s first season under Butch Jones, second only to the 1951 Vols (3,068). Tennessee finished with 2,668 rushing yards in 2016, ranking fourth all-time in school history, just shy of the 1950 Vols who rushed for the school’s third best in a season with 2,710 yards.

Tennessee’s offense averaged 443.7 yards and 36.4 points per game. Team 120 set a single-season school record of 63 total touchdowns. The Vols also produced 473 total points, the second most points in a season behind the 1993 team (484 points) and a year removed from scoring 457 points in 2015, just shy of the 1990 Vols’ 465 points (third all-time in school history).

Looking back at the Mike DeBord era on Rocky Top

Yep. He was a freaking genius

Attachments

• 84963712dc918a16e4c11b8a4f08dc4f.jpg
    84963712dc918a16e4c11b8a4f08dc4f.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 678
Reactions: 1 person
Grossly underutilized Alvin Kamara. We went 9-4 with a quitter starting at RB 8 games into the year. Imagine if Kamara got all those snaps instead..

Reactions: 5 people
I don't understand it. There's not many rational Vol fans that argue the fact that our offense put up a lot of yards and a lot of points. The issue with DeBord was the fact that he ran a vanilla, predictable offense. Like many others have said Dobbs, AK, and Malone frequently turned terrible plays into huge gains. Also, the offense worked when they were clicking but stalled when they were not. Many times the opposing coaching staffs made adjustments and smothered our offense. A good OC should be able to adjust the plan in-game to players who are in rhythm and get the offense clicking, not solely relying on the players to do so. I'm glad he's gone. We need new ideas and fresh takes on our offense. We have got to step up our coaching staff and play on the field. However, I'd rather him have stayed if we make the supposed hires.

Why does DeBord get the credit for those offensive numbers if we then blame Butch for controlling the offense and not relinquishing control to an OC?

I don't understand it. There's not many rational Vol fans that argue the fact that our offense put up a lot of yards and a lot of points. The issue with DeBord was the fact that he ran a vanilla, predictable offense. Like many others have said Dobbs, AK, and Malone frequently turned terrible plays into huge gains. Also, the offense worked when they were clicking but stalled when they were not. Many times the opposing coaching staffs made adjustments and smothered our offense. A good OC should be able to adjust the plan in-game to players who are in rhythm and get the offense clicking, not solely relying on the players to do so. I'm glad he's gone. We need new ideas and fresh takes on our offense. We have got to step up our coaching staff and play on the field. However, I'd rather him have stayed if we make the supposed hires.

Why does DeBord get the credit for those offensive numbers if we then blame Butch for controlling the offense and not relinquishing control to an OC?

I agree except about keeping him. This scheme would sucked without Dobbs and AK, for the most part.

Some people just won't get it

I agree except about keeping him. This scheme would sucked without Dobbs and AK, for the most part.

Some people just won't get it

The players make or brake our offense.

Can't wait to see how JK and QD/JG handle business. With Byrd and Brandon on the edges, let's get this show on the road. Come on Oline figure it out.

Release the Beast!

Please tell me one team that executes flawlessly every single game. Clemson won the Title and if North Carolina St kicker could make a chip shot field goal they are not in Playoff. Alabama if not for a few playmakers making plays their offense looks bad. OL play at all levels are fluid each game injuries in the OL can decimate an offense match ups are off ect. Ohio St and the great Urban Meyer gets one OL injury and it train wrecks the entire game plan against Clemson. All you can do to evaluate a coach is body of work and circumstances that happen.

Reactions: 3 people
It is also interesting to quote our offense's numbers and pat DeBord on the back, but what did we accomplish? No SEC championships, no SEC East championships, and no Sugar Bowl. I know we went from 5-7 to 7-5 and now back to back 9-4 seasons. We have been to three bowl games in a row for the first time in a while. And we have a Battle at Bristol trophy. I appreciate what the coaching staff has done, but it is time for Tennessee to take the next step towards real championships. I am tired of Tennessee underachieving and being a joke across the country. I love this University and team, I will not settle for anything short of the best.

I think Dobbs abilities skewed the rushing stats. Not a bad thing. Passing definitely improved last year.

VN Store

Back