Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer? (Merged)

How would you feel about Fulmer as AD?

• Total voters

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer?

"I have really enjoyed getting involved with Dr. (Joe) DiPietro on the President's Council and doing some things with him," Fulmer said of the university's president. "They've got a process (in hiring an athletics director) in place and I'm just anxious to see what that process brings." When asked on the local radio show "Jared & The GM" earlier this week what he thought about listeners who called in saying he should be the Vols AD, Fulmer said, "I think they're pretty smart."

Sounds to me like CPF is more than a little interested in the AD position and I'm not against it one bit. I know Blackburn seems to be the unanimous choice among the fan base but I personally believe Fulmer would make great AD.

Reactions: 34 people
1. How do you feel about Fulmer hiring and firing coaches, regardless of sport?
2. How do you feel about Fulmer performing all other AD duties?
3. If things don't well, how do you feel about having to fire Fulmer again?

If you are uncomfortable answering any of these questions, Fulmer as AD is a disastrous idea.

Reactions: 13 people
I would trust him with my kids.

I would vote yes, with no doubt in my mind.

Just worry about football the rest will follow.

Football should be the Flag Ship of UT Athletics.

I have no desire to be know as a Rugby School.

Release the Beast!

Reactions: 27 people

If you are uncomfortable answering any of these questions, Fulmer as AD is a disastrous idea.

He may not be able to do it. But he would give his all to win us NCs in football. Trickle down economics at it's best.

He can hire an Asst. for each sport an accountant and PR person too. This ain't no rinkydinkville production.

Release the Beast!

Reactions: 6 people
He may not be able to do it. But he would give his all to win us NCs in football. Trickle down economics at it's best.

He can hire an Asst. for each sport an accountant and PR person too. This ain't no rinkydinkville production.

Release the Beast!

AD is not solely about winning NC in football. It is not the same as coaching.

Reactions: 3 people

Release the Beast!

How do you feel about firing him if/when his hires fail? His track record of hiring coaches is a major concern.

I get that some of you felt bad watching him cry after he was fired, but he has no business being the athletic director.

Reactions: 9 people
:rock:At this stage in a search for an AD and a new incoming UT Chancellor with absolutely no athletic experience and Fulmer's age and experience, I think he could be the answer to our Athletic Director problem. Remember East Tennessee State hired him to completely re-establish their football program. Vol Fans lets get things moving in that direction.
:good!:

Fulmer has the credentials + he's a native Tennessean that was a helluva coach and player for us. Hell yeah ! Why not. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 8 people

This

I have tons of resoect for CPF, but isn't this like firing your yard man and then calling him back a few years later to see if he'd like to be your accountant?

Reactions: 8 people
Could Tennessee Vols' next AD be Phillip Fulmer?

"I have really enjoyed getting involved with Dr. (Joe) DiPietro on the President's Council and doing some things with him," Fulmer said of the university's president. "They've got a process (in hiring an athletics director) in place and I'm just anxious to see what that process brings." When asked on the local radio show "Jared & The GM" earlier this week what he thought about listeners who called in saying he should be the Vols AD, Fulmer said, "I think they're pretty smart."

Sounds to me like CPF is more than a little interested in the AD position and I'm not against it one bit. I know Blackburn seems to be the unanimous choice among the fan base but I personally believe Fulmer would make great AD.

Nope.

There's absolutely no way Butch Jones would stand for that. He's too arrogant and controlling. He would never ever work for a former coach especially since that coach was so much better.

Reactions: 2 people
Doug Matthew's said Fulmer isn't interested in the position on 104.5 in Nashville. Also the board made it a requirement that the new AD must be in the current position elsewhere. Pretty much eliminating a lot of shenanigans.

Reactions: 1 person
How do you feel about firing him if/when his hires fail? His track record of hiring coaches is a major concern.

I get that some of you felt bad watching him cry after he was fired, but he has no business being the athletic director.

It would suck to need to fire him again, maybe he could be interim for a couple of years. He could hire Peyton as an advisor.

Release the Beast!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back