Hypothetical coaching change breakdown

MrVolton

as I see it...

Barlow vs. Martinez - DB play, especially at corner, has been bad for years. I really like what the Shoop/Barlow combo was able to do at Vanderbilt. Upgrade.

Hoke vs. Stripling - Both have very good track records as DL coaches, but I gotta put a caveat on this one. If Strip stays on as support staff, it's an upgrade. If Strip retires altogether, I'd call it a push.

Wells vs. Mahoney - OL play has been so bad, I'd be reluctant to retain anyone that has been associated with it. But a ton of recruits, especially mid state, have spoken favorably of Wells all year long. He at least seems to be out-recruiting Mahoney in his role as QC, so I'm gonna call it an upgrade.

Scott/Canales Combo vs. Debord - I actually think Debord was solid. He had some great games, but there were some games he was either out-coached or the OL play was just flat out atrocious. However, even Urban Meyer is capable of laying an egg (see 2016 Fiesta Bowl). Apparently Jones feels good enough about Scott's contributions/adjustments late in the season to give him the nod at OC. If we're running Jones's system regardless, I'd just as soon we promote from within, and in that case, I'd just as soon it be Scott. He has a nice resume and he's a good recruiter. As far as Canales goes, if you flipped the front half of his career with the back half, I'd consider it an upgrade. I just think we should be able to get a Co-OC/QB with a better recent resume than any of the guys we've interviewed so far. But I guess having a QB coach > no QB coach at all, so I'll call this a Push. I just wish it was an upgrade.

Overall, it's a potential upgrade. But is it enough?

EDIT: Charlton Warren vs. Martinez. Looks like a huge upgrade to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Will all the changes have a negative impact on the team?

Tweaks are one thing but a complete overhaul could be a bad thing.

Sometimes change for the sake of change can be a backfire.

Release the Beast!

Will all the changes have a negative impact on the team?

Tweaks are one thing but a complete overhaul could be a bad thing.

Sometimes change for the sake of change can be a backfire.

Release the Beast!

Barlow has a good history with Shoop. There have been suggestions that the defensive staff did not mesh. This move could improve chemistry.

On the offensive changes, I think the point is keeping the system in tact. Scott and Wells have both been around the team for at least a year.

GBO!

Don't forget, if they do promote scott, qb coach still has to be addressed and I'd be good with Dorsey or weinke coming in as a CO-OC/QB coach.

Barlow has a good history with Shoop. There have been suggestions that the defensive staff did not mesh. This move could improve chemistry.

On the offensive changes, I think the point is keeping the system in tact. Scott and Wells have both been around the team for at least a year.

GBO!

I wasn't sure if the chemistry was speculation or inside info. Either way the coaches are paid professional, get in line. Nothing worse than an assistant that is undermining one's authority. Got to get rid of the poison at all cost. Butch Jones is not poison. Given time I think he can do it. With all his blunders the team had his back, even the players that are gone haven't talked trash on him. The players that leave either leave on their own, asked by the other players to leave, or are kick off by CBJ for "violation of team rules".

Release the Beast!

Reactions: 3 people
as I see it...

Barlow vs. Martinez - DB play, especially at corner, has been bad for years. I really like what the Shoop/Barlow combo was able to do at Vanderbilt. Upgrade.

Hoke vs. Stripling - Both have very good track records as DL coaches, but I gotta put a caveat on this one. If Strip stays on as support staff, it's an upgrade. If Strip retires altogether, I'd call it a push.

Wells vs. Mahoney - OL play has been so bad, I'd be reluctant to retain anyone that has been associated with it. But a ton of recruits, especially mid state, have spoken favorably of Wells all year long. He at least seems to be out-recruiting Mahoney in his role as QC, so I'm gonna call it an upgrade.

Scott/Canales Combo vs. Debord - I actually think Debord was solid. He had some great games, but there were some games he was either out-coached or the OL play was just flat out atrocious. However, even Urban Meyer is capable of laying an egg (see 2016 Fiesta Bowl). Apparently Jones feels good enough about Scott's contributions/adjustments late in the season to give him the nod at OC. If we're running Jones's system regardless, I'd just as soon we promote from within, and in that case, I'd just as soon it be Scott. He has a nice resume and he's a good recruiter. As far as Canales goes, if you flipped the front half of his career with the back half, I'd consider it an upgrade. I just think we should be able to get a Co-OC/QB with a better recent resume than any of the guys we've interviewed so far. But I guess having a QB coach > no QB coach at all, so I'll call this a Push. I just wish it was an upgrade.

The only thing I had a problem with is Scott as the OC alone. I think he needs some experience with him whom ever it may be.

Reactions: 1 person
think Butch tries to keep Coach Scott...if it's gotta be OC, then so be it...too valuable in recruiting...and, Butch's comfort level...as far as other changes...flip a coin...and, as always...

GO VOLS!

Do we need more speculations about hypotheticals?

If you have only been here since November and you are tired of it already? Maybe you just need to stick to other types of chat boards like ones about arts and craft or fishing.

Reactions: 3 people
as I see it...

For the most vocal, no. There are some who's patience for Butch has run out. If he loses, they will want to send a moving truck to his house. If he wins, he didn't win well enough. If he blow somebody out, they are bums who had no business playing Tennessee.

However, I agree with your analysis. As to Debord's departure, I only hated some of his 4th down calls. How much of it was a bad call and how much was Hurd being Hurd depends on who you talk to.

But unless some of the other coaches get offers, I would not cut any deeper than that. I hate thinking it has to go that far, but those position groups need to progress.

Martinez needs to go. He's been fired everywhere he's been for a reason. If the rumors are true that he and Shoop aren't meshing, and we keep him, then we've wasted a bunch of time and money on a handcuffed rockstar DC.

Reactions: 2 people
Martinez needs to go. He's been fired everywhere he's been for a reason. If the rumors are true that he and Shoop aren't meshing, and we keep him, then we've wasted a bunch of time and money on a handcuffed rockstar DC.

Exactly.

UT fans used to love seeing Georgia on the schedule thanks to Martinez.

It says something about Jones' judgement if he can't see how much of a liability the secondary has been under his tutelage under Jancek and now Shoop.

Pennington on Sports Source said he thought there was a chance Mahoney could get a shot at sticking around for strike 4 next year. He did go on to say the guys Mahoney is visiting vs. the guys Wells is visiting would seem to suggest a move though.

VN Store

Back