Nearly 100 Underclassmen Declare For The Draft

VolnJC

That's a record number...so 92...that's almost 3 full rounds and would represent 36 percent of the entire draft...if they all get drafted.

Here is what Walter Campbell thought of the 3 Vols that declared.

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Height: 6-3. Weight: 268.
Projected 40 Time: 4.75.
Projected Round (2017): 1.
This decision can't have shocked anyone. Derek Barnett was one of the top pass-rushers in the country this past season, accumulating 13 sacks. He also set the school record for most sacks (33) over a career. He had nothing left to prove at Tennessee, and he's a likely top-10 pick, making his choice a no-brainer. I currently have him No. 8 to the Bengals in my 2017 NFL Mock Draft.

The Verdict: Obvious move

Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee
Height: 6-3. Weight: 198.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2017): 5-7.
Josh Malone made some clutch catches for Tennessee this season, and he finished with 50 receptions for 972 yards and 11 touchdowns. That could be attributed to the struggles at quarterback. Still, Malone isn't considered to be anything more than a third-day prospect. With that in mind, I can't say I support Malone's decision.

The Verdict: Bad move

Alvin Kamara, RB, Tennessee
Height: 5-10. Weight: 215.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2017): 1-2.
I wrote earlier that I'm fully behind any running back declaring when he's been projected to be chosen in the first four rounds. Alvin Kamara is much better than that, as he projects as a second-rounder who has a shot to be chosen late Thursday night. This is close to being an obvious move, but either way, there's absolutely no reason for Kamara to go back to Tennessee.

The Verdict: Good move
Read more at WalterFootball.com: 2017 NFL Draft Underclassmen

Here is the complete list of underclassmen who are making the choice to enter the draft.

Tracking underclassmen intentions for 2017 NFL Draft - NFL.com

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with all three. I saw a mock yesterday that had DB falling all the way to the 20s to my Atlanta Falcons. While this would please me to no end, there is no bleeping way he will last that long.

Prediction sure to go wrong:

Someone drafts Garrett 1-3, Barnett goes around 10, and in 5 years we look back at the draft and everyone says, "Garrett is ok, but Barnett was there for the taking!!! Fahr ______!!"

Reactions: 3 people
I dont blame malone for leaving with the new qb coming in and we dont know how the oline will perform. Work out for the combine and go get paid.

Reactions: 1 person
That's a record number...so 92...that's almost 3 full rounds and would represent 36 percent of the entire draft...if they all get drafted.

This decision can't have shocked anyone. Derek Barnett was one of the top pass-rushers in the country this past season, accumulating 13 sacks. He also set the school record for most sacks (33) over a career. He had nothing left to prove at Tennessee, and he's a likely top-10 pick, making his choice a no-brainer. I currently have him No. 8 to the Bengals in my 2017 NFL Mock Draft.

Josh Malone made some clutch catches for Tennessee this season, and he finished with 50 receptions for 972 yards and 11 touchdowns. That could be attributed to the struggles at quarterback. Still, Malone isn't considered to be anything more than a third-day prospect. With that in mind, I can't say I support Malone's decision.

I wrote earlier that I'm fully behind any running back declaring when he's been projected to be chosen in the first four rounds. Alvin Kamara is much better than that, as he projects as a second-rounder who has a shot to be chosen late Thursday night. This is close to being an obvious move, but either way, there's absolutely no reason for Kamara to go back to Tennessee.

Here is the complete list of underclassmen who are making the choice to enter the draft.

I believe there were 107 last year. Still time to top that number - this statement not accurate

Found an article that said 96 was number. I had 106 in my spreadsheet which was a number I picked up over a year ago. Have that many names and now I will need to research to see which ones ended up not going to draft.

looked at bottom of link. 11 players had graduated and even though they had another year of eligibility they went out to the draft. that is where I got my number

List of underclassmen granted eligibility for 2016 NFL Draft - NFL.com

Last edited:
I believe there were 107 last year. Still time to top that number - this statement not accurate

Found an article that said 96 was number. I had 106 in my spreadsheet which was a number I picked up over a year ago. Have that many names and now I will need to research to see which ones ended up not going to draft.

looked at bottom of link. 11 players had graduated and even though they had another year of eligibility they went out to the draft. that is where I got my number

List of underclassmen granted eligibility for 2016 NFL Draft - NFL.com

Here is one that says 107
A record 107 total underclassmen entering the 2016 NFL Draft - CBSSports.com
and this one says 30 went undrafted
2016 NFL Draft: 30 underclassmen left undrafted, but trend is positive - CBSSports.com
In 2014, 39.2 percent of underclassmen who declared early went undrafted. That number decreased to 28.6 percent in the 2015 NFL Draft and 28 percent this year. Those numbers are higher than ideal, but are trending in the right direction.

Last edited:
Barnett could be a big-time NFL player: if he doesn't go top 10, teams are screwing up. Malone's stock could go up but he's not going top 3 rounds.

I think there are a lot of overrated WRs in this draft class and could see Malone jumping a lot of them throughout pre-draft evaluations. I think he could have had a chance to be a 1st/2nd round draft choice if he replicated his production next year, but there is a risk with that considering he would have had to acclimate to a new QB, new coordinator, and risk injury..he is getting hot and might as well cash in..In the end I think he goes 3/4th round, but no later than 5th.

What the writer isn't considering is this:

What are the odds that with a new QB, new #1 RB, and new OC that Malone's numbers improve next year?

He may not be NFL ready but it's hard for me to call it a mistake for him to declare. I'd say he's a steal in the 5th-7th round.

Does Malone even get a combine invite? We had a safety last year who put up some impressive UT Pro day numbers and still didn't get drafted? If the draft projection doesn't predict you as round 4 or higher, then it seems like the better odds are for coming back and trying to improve your stock. IMHO, TIFWIW, AARP

Josh Malone stood the opportunity to gain the the most by staying. His 4.5 time is average for NFL. With that speed, a player has to run really crisp routes to get open. Imagine if Wes Welker were to be at UT and could help the Receivers coach with Malone's route running. Hope for the best for him.

Not a big fan of all these young men bolting before completing their eligibility. While some will surely make it... many will not and leave their education and time to mature behind. Good luck to all those making the jump!

Go Vols!

Was pretty cool to see Malone take a 7yd slant across the field and outrun the entire FL secondary to the end zone. Not something we have seen from one of our receivers in a while. He is plenty fast, runs good routes and will do fine in the NFL.

VN Store

Back