Canales coming for second interview

Fingers

...for QB coach position.

Multiple sources told 247Sports reporters, including Ryan Callahan, that Mike Canales, the current running backs coach and assistant head coach at Utah State, will be brought back to Rocky Top within the next 24-48 hours for a second interview for the Vols’ known opening on its offensive staff.

Weinke is believed to have strong interest in the Vols’ job but also is hearing from other NFL teams. The former Heisman Trophy winner, a one-time professional baseball player as well as NFL quarterback, is a former coach at nationally renowned IMG Academy in Florida who has worked with the likes of Teddy Bridgewater, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson, among others.
Brice

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
There was a good laugh in the recruiting forum earlier about the Canales rumor thread, but I guess this has legs?

This tells you a lot about Jones and his status moving forward, this guy is a complete nobody iand high profile OCs obvious you're staying away

Reactions: 7 people
Canales would be ok for QB coach. Fingers added that clarification to the original message. Jake the Snake for OC please. Of course, that means someone else has to depart to create an opening.

Reactions: 1 person
Canales also has a Larry Scott connection. Both were together on the same staff at South Florida. Along with Walt Wells, current GA, and Nick Sheridan, departing GA.

I'm ok if he's the QB coach.

I am not ok with him for OC.

Jake Spavital will probably go to Auburn a light it up. Hope I am wrong. I would prefer Weinke over Canales for QB coach due to IMG Academy connections.

Reactions: 2 people
If he's in Knoxville for a 2nd interview then he's the next QB coach imo. If only Mahoney would move on and a more competent oline coach could be hired. Herb Hand would be fantastic.

If he's in Knoxville for a 2nd interview then he's the next QB coach imo. If only Mahoney would move on and a more competent oline coach could be hired. Herb Hand would be fantastic.

Mahoney won't be back, but it looks likely that Wells would replace him. Hand does not want to leave AU after one year, even though Gus could be gone after 2017. But so could Butch

If Azzanni leaves wouldn't be surprised if Butch hires TJ Weist to replace him. Coached with Jones at Cincy.

I'd think he's out.
As far as we know he's not being considered for any bigger role in the Offense even after being the passing game coordinator.

I hope it's a Co-OC race and Scott has filled one part of it.

Weist was the OC at South Florida last year. With Taggart leaving he will be on the move. Would be an upgrade over Azzanni if he indeed is out.

VN Store

Back