Guarantano--The Future

VOLFan65

Josh Dobbs was unbelievable. Anyone can see that. It has been great watching him the past two years when he was the full time QB. Did he have his struggles? Absolutely. The kid is one of the most scrutinized players in UT history, but there were times when he took the team and carried them. He ended up with one of the best careers from a yardage standpoint in UT history. He will be missed. Thank you, Josh, for giving your all and being the ultimate ambassador for UT.

That said, JG's ceiling is through the roof. Everyone talks about how Jacob Eason has a rocket launcher attached to his torso, and that's true. (See the laser at the end of the UGA game this year.) I think JG has that same kind of rocket launcher, and is more mobile. He needs to work on his finesse throws for sure, and that's why we need a QB coach. When he gets that, the sky is the limit. Excited to see this kid ball out for years to come. No telling how far he can take this team.

Reactions: 14 people
Don't really care who is QB as long as we win. Both have potential, and is a mistake to dismiss any QB from the competition...even Jones. Think both will struggle in different areas...Dormandy, though mobile, is not as mobile as Dobbs, and JG will be green, and don't know that we have time to be patient. Dormandy has been mop up duty, but has been in games and on squad longer, so you'd think he may have better maturity? Regardless, I think that both will play meaningful snaps during the season. Am excited about them both, but don't know that we have the true star power at RB/WR to take the pressure off them. The question is: can one of them quickly evolve from being a "serviceable" SEC QB to a top shelf difference maker. The answer to this question will determine how happy we are at the end of 2017 season.

Reactions: 1 person
Hinging the future on a mediocre coach and a QB that has never taken a snap in colege football.

Gotta love it.

Reactions: 4 people
Guarantano is walking a fine line of being the next Rod Wilks/Paul Bain (forgive me for saying their names in vain) on this board with how much he is getting hyped up. We need to all collectively pump the brakes and let him take a few snaps before we declare him the GOAT.

Reactions: 7 people
Not to take anything away from the kid but if I've learned anything from being a Vol fan 30+ years it's I will believe it when I see it.

Reactions: 13 people
It'd be nice if we could bring the mountain to Mohammed so to speak by linking him up with some easy targets. James Brown has the size although I know little else about him and I have no clue if he will be able to start this year. I don't want to harp on the spilled milk from OR, but he could've really helped us out here.

Guarantano is walking a fine line of being the next Rod Wilks/Paul Bain (forgive me for saying their names in vain) on this board with how much he is getting hyped up. We need to all collectively pump the brakes and let him take a few snaps before we declare him the GOAT.

And the sad thing is JG is actually not doing anything.

Hinging the future on a mediocre coach and a QB that has never taken a snap in colege football.

Gotta love it.

1778485438-pew-pew-me-shooting-you-with-little-rays-of-sunshine.gif

Reactions: 15 people
This. I think QD is probably the best passer on the roster. Can he move like JG? No. But he has better mobility than say Worley, Bray, and Crompton.

Don't care who wins the job but per stats Sr. year HS Dormady was a better runner than JG.
QD- 4.5 YPC
JG- 2.4 YPC
I think both are faster than the 3 mentioned but Bray had a uncanny timing to release the ball on time is why his sack total was low.

Reactions: 2 people

This "pump the brakes" business is it similar to lowering expectations? Why not let the Hype Train and expectations build rather than hold back on either one.

If CBJ came out and said "pump the brakes" on any expectation he would get blasted. That's why these guys came to Tn, to compete at the highest level with the highest expectations.

Honestly I "get" what you mean, but to "pump the breaks" is opposite to "put on more steam".

I'm a "put on more steam" kind of fan.

Go Vols!

Release the Beast!

Reactions: 5 people
This. I think QD is probably the best passer on the roster. Can he move like JG? No. But he has better mobility than say Worley, Bray, and Crompton.

No argument, but one of my favorite plays of our lost decade was when LSU came to Neyland and Crompton tucked the ball and absolutely trucked an LSU cornerback. He was not gonna back down, nor would he slide, and I liked it.

Reactions: 1 person
Eason has the best arm I've ever seen on a true freshmen imo. I sure hope JG has half his velocity and distance

You need to move back to Tennessee. Apparently, living in Alabama has made you a miserable human being!!:ermm:

So you think its wise to deem the future of the program on a QB that has never taken a snap and a coach that to this point has proven to be mediocre? If so, perhaps you need to move.

And for the reference, I would love to move back to Tennessee. Just not a realistic option.

This "pump the brakes" business is it similar to lowering expectations? Why not let the Hype Train and expectations build rather than hold back on either one.

If CBJ came out and said "pump the brakes" on any expectation he would get blasted. That's why these guys came to Tn, to compete at the highest level with the highest expectations.

Honestly I "get" what you mean, but to "pump the breaks" is opposite to "put on more steam".

I'm a "put on more steam" kind of fan.

Go Vols!

Release the Beast!

Didn't CBJ essentially say we needed to pump the brakes on the expectations this season?

VN Store

Back