What round will Josh Dobbs get drafted in, if at all?

TennMan101

https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

Kirby Smart recently said he predicts Dobbs going in the 3-4 range.

Jimmy Hyams believes him to be another Terrell Pryor (Cleveland Browns) type player.

I believe a team will fall in love with him and draft him in round 4, or so.

Last edited:
https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php

Kirby Smart recently said he predicts Dobbs going in the 3-4 range.

I believe a team will fall in love with him and draft him in round 4, or so.

Depends on who you're asking… Most of us here feel that if he gets drafted it will be in the 3 to 4 range, possibly ffifth round. D4H believes he will be drafted before the draft even commences. :blink:

Reactions: 14 people
QB's always get drafted earlier than they should.

Dobbs is probably a 5th or 6th round players based on his passing but I agree 3rd or 4th seems likely.

Reactions: 1 person
It would be interesting to see him progress if he got picked up by someone like the Seahawks and learned behind Russell Wilson for a few years.

Reactions: 2 people
It would be interesting to see him progress if he got picked up by someone like the Seahawks and learned behind Russell Wilson for a few years.

I was thinking what if the Titans pick him up as a quality backup to Mariota? They are very similar and the rest of the offense wouldn't be too affected if Mariota goes down with injury (again).

Also, of course, he'd love to stay close to home, and the state of Tennessee loves him.

I'm sorry, but when I started thinking about it I got the same feeling I got when I hoped the Titans would draft VY and Derrick Henry.

Would it be bad to take a quality backup Quarterback in the 4th round if he's still up there?

Reactions: 4 people
Depends on who you're asking… Most of us here feel that if he gets drafted it will be in the 3 to 4 range, possibly ffifth round. D4H believes he will be drafted before the draft even commences. :blink:

:eek:lol: I heard D4H thinks he won't even have to attend the combine. He'll be picked up by limo and taken to a bidding station where all of the NFL teams will start the bidding at once, and then a fist fight will occur between the head coaches for his services.

Reactions: 3 people
(with appologies to Mr. Chuck Noris) DH4 believes that NFL Teams dont draft Dobbs.... Dobbs drafts an NFL Team :)

Reactions: 7 people
Dobbs picked first. Sutton picked second. Kamara picked 3rd. Barnett Mr. Irrelevant.-D4H

Edit - Myles Garrett drafted by Canton. Retires immediately to his HOF induction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
QB's always get drafted earlier than they should.

Dobbs is probably a 5th or 6th round players based on his passing but I agree 3rd or 4th seems likely.

Given that his passing is better than Locker's was in college, you have to wonder if the Titans will take him first!

I think if he shows out even a little at the Senior Bowl and then puts up good numbers at the combines, I'll go with 3rd round. If he doesn't look at sharp at the Senior Bowl, I'll be thinking 4th round. I think he has upside potential that a team can't let slide by to a later round.
I think he'll look good at the combines no matter what. I think he's got the arm and the legs to look really good. It's hard to judge his in game decisions since he seldom had a good O-line to give him much time to go through his progressions.
What's going to be interesting is his Wonderlic score. I will venture a guess that it will be one of the highest ever.

If he has a good week at the Senior Bowl, Dobbs could increase his stock to Round 2.

He's got all the measurables. He's got the intangible of being the smartest guy on either sideline. The simplified sets of the Senior game will just feed his strengths. He's going to interview like a CEO.

I've been saying he's a steal at Round 4 but someone could figure that out during Senior Week and move him up the board.

We'll know more after the senior bowl and combine.

If I had to guess, anywhere from early 2nd round-late 4th round is possible.

He's too physically gifted to fall past the 4th round. Some team (like Seattle) would take a flyer on him just based on the tools. However, if he kills it at the senior bowl and combine (which is very possible) he stock could sky rocket into the early to mid 2nd round.

Dobbs would be a good pick for a team without a decent future at OL. The guy just thrives on OL breakdown, and has had 4 straight years of serious experience at it. Plus, when things get too regimented and simple, Josh seems to have inaccuracy problems. I know that sounds nuts, but the USC game this year and Arky game last come immediately to mind.
I'm sure statistically he's more accurate while not under pressure. But most of the times I've "scratched my head" after a throw have been when he's perfectly protected and the pass is a short and easy one. Conversely, some of the biggest "OMG, did he really do that" moments I've ever seen in UT history have come when plays and protection break down.

Given that his passing is better than Locker's was in college, you have to wonder if the Titans will take him first!

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Bringing in Dobbs to back up Mariota could give him time to learn the system and adapt his skill set. And if they decide to move him to WR, they could add a whole new dimension to their offense.

Actually, that isn't a bad idea. Bringing in Dobbs to back up Mariota could give him time to learn the system and adapt his skill set. And if they decide to move him to WR, they could add a whole new dimension to their offense.

I thought about the Titans when I said the Seahawks could possibly pick him up but Dobbs isn't going to want to sit behind Mariota and be a full-time backup for his whole entire career!! Mariota is only in his second year which means Dobbs only gets playing time if Mariota gets hurt. I know I know Mariota has been hurt the past two seasons.

Late round possibly, though I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as an undrafted free agent. I don't think it's an extremely strong QB class this year, so that could definitely help him out.

I do think, that even if as a free agent, he'll be given a chance on a team somewhere. It may or may not lead to anything, but he'll be given a chance.

Even if teams don't like his play style, mechanics, etc., he's so damn smart they have to at least consider taking him. He'll learn very quickly.

His Sr Bowl/combine is going to make a big difference, for good or ill remains to be seen.

I don't think anyone is worried about his intangibles.

Someone will take a chance with dobbs and his skill set. He will test off the charts and if he gets a invite to the combine he could only improve his stock

I would have to think he will have an exceptional Senior Bowl. He is basically a one man trick play and it would be hard for a defense that is newly minted to handle him. Plus, the receivers might actually catch one of his passes that hits them in the hands.

I would have to think he will have an exceptional Senior Bowl. He is basically a one man trick play and it would be hard for a defense that is newly minted to handle him. Plus, the receivers might actually catch one of his passes that hits them in the hands.

Only if they can jump.

Edit: I think he goes late 4 early 5. I'd like to see what he can do against a good D with a solid O line. Maybe those overthrows will come down a little bit.

Last edited:
Walterfootball.com has Josh ranked at the 12th best qb in the draft.

Cbssports.com has him being the 10th qb taken.

Sports Illustrated says he's not one of the top 10 qbs in the draft

ProFootballFocus says he's not in their top 5 qb list

Drafttek.com says he's their 11th qb in the draft

Kiper doesn't have Josh in his top 10.

Draftwire.com doesn't have him listed in their top 10, nor among their "4 on the bubble"

Not sure about McShay or some others.

Look, it only takes one team to love Josh and go against the grain/prognosticators/so-called experts. Plus, Josh has the Senior Bowl, his Pro Day and the combine to improve his stock.

But right now, it's difficult to say he's gonna be anything but a late round pick and maybe even an undrafted free agent.

I hope he goes somewhere in middle rounds and that a top, successful franchise like a New England or Seattle or KC or Pittsburgh snatches him up.

We'll know more after the senior bowl and combine.

If I had to guess, anywhere from early 2nd round-late 4th round is possible.

He's too physically gifted to fall past the 4th round. Some team (like Seattle) would take a flyer on him just based on the tools. However, if he kills it at the senior bowl and combine (which is very possible) he stock could sky rocket into the early to mid 2nd round.

Doubt he goes by 4th round, certainly not sniffing the early 2nd round.

Dobbs -4th. Ive even been tossling with 3rd. I think an NFL exec will fall in love with him like you said. he's the ultimate poster boy. and he's tough as nails. if he can improve his pocket presence AND improve his passing game, the sky is the limit. he's got all the physical tools to be great at the next level. wherever he goes, I hope they have a great QB coach.
Kamara-2nd-originally had him going in the 3rd but I think his stock is soaring. lots of teams want a RB like Kamara. prob top 3 back in terms of versatility.
Malone -4th...this is the only one Im not positive about. someone is getting a steal.
D.B. - 1st
Cam Sutton - 3rd...stock dropped a little this year

Jalen Hurd...7th
D. Obrien - FA...will probably get invited to a couple camps. who knows...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back