Dabo Swiney: Bold calls in crucial times define a coach !!

volmandu

Clemson was down 3 in 4th quarter with 7 seconds left in the Championship game.
They had a timeout, I believe, but there was no guarantee that they would get to run another play. A play can easily take all 7 seconds before its over.
They could have easily scored an 'easy' FG and moved the game to OT.
Remember this is Clemson, who hadn't won a NC in 31 years and lost a close one last year.
It takes a lot of guts to say 'Lets go win it'. Clemson and Dabo did so.

Now think of all the 'lets go to overtime by taking a knee' or 'lets kill time and walk into halftime' stunts Butch has pulled on us. His ultra-conservative style will never get us over 9-10 game mark. His aggressive calls only come when he has no other choice. He is never the one to either 'deliver the knockout punch' or 'keep the gas pedal down'.
Unless there is a major philosophy shift, he is not winning us any championships (SEC or NC) here !!

Reactions: 5 people
Coming from the same guy who says North Texas' coordinator is going to be our OC.

Sorry but you have no credibility with me.

#NoECred

Reactions: 3 people
He had plenty of time with the best player in America at QB. Stop acting like he stormed the beach of a hostile country.

Besides..... Best call of the game was conservatively punting on 4th and 1 late in the game and playing defense.

Reactions: 9 people
They had a timeout, I believe, but there was no guarantee that they would get to run another play. A play can easily take all 7 seconds before its over.
Remember this is Clemson, who hadn't won a NC in 31 years and lost a close one last year.

Now think of all the 'lets go to overtime by taking a knee' or 'lets kill time and walk into halftime' stunts Butch has pulled on us. His ultra-conservative style will never get us over 9-10 game mark. His aggressive calls only come when he has no other choice. He is never the one to either 'deliver the knockout punch' or 'keep the gas pedal down'.
Unless there is a major philosophy shift, he is not winning us any championships (SEC or NC) here !!

Your trolling is getting old

Reactions: 6 people

Before that play, they were 3-3 on scoring TDs in the Red Zone in the game. They were 3-4 in the Red Zone against OSU in the semifinal. They were 5-5 in the Red Zone against VT in the ACC Championship.

It is a lot easier for a coach to play for a TD and the win in that situation when you've scored a TD 11 of the last 12 times you've been in the Red Zone against a conference championship game opponent and the #3 and #1 teams in the country.

Would Butch have made the same call? You can say no, based on what you saw from UT this year. But if UT is in that situation with the success inside the 20 that Clemson has, I think he would.

Reactions: 9 people
lol. All coaching decisions are 50/50 anyway. Get it right and you're a genius. Flub it and you're the biggest idiot to ever put on headsets.

You've been banned.

Reactions: 2 people

Sad that trolls like you are allowed to post.:bad:

Reactions: 1 person
Sad that trolls like you are allowed to post.:bad:

How is it trolling ? I just compared what Dabo did to how Butch typically handles it ?
I want us to win championships too. Dabo just won one with a gutsy call. I don't see our coach doing it. How is pointing that out 'trolling' ?

Sad that suckers like you are allowed to post here. Counter my argument logically if you have points to do so. Calling someone troll is the weakest argument you can ever make. Pathetic.

Butch tried to go for the win against Vandy and came up short. Of course he would have needed the ball off an onside kick and score again, but he still went for it.

I didn't agree with the call at that time, but you def can't say he wouldn't go for it.

Reactions: 6 people
Butch tried to go for the win against Vandy and came up short. Of course he would have needed the ball off an onside kick and score again, but he still went for it.

I didn't agree with the call at that time, but you def can't say he wouldn't go for it.

Even when he actually goes for the win he does it wrong. The guy can't coach in big time situations.

The same guy who couldn't win a big ball game until last year.

100% Agree

If only NC State had a kicker.

The previous play took 6 seconds and was long developing. Clemson would have definitely had a chance for a field goal. That's why Dabo called a quick passing route.

The previous play took 6 seconds and was long developing. Clemson would have definitely had a chance for a field goal. That's why Dabo called a quick passing route.

Plus it only took 6 seconds because the clock continued to run after the catch. Renfrow caught the ball with 3 seconds left. If it is incomplete then they have at least 2 seconds on the clock. Also why is the OP acting like Clemson has a good kicker? That kid is far from a guarantee even at short range.

Why was he down by three?

Only 'bold' call I remember from the game was an early Clemson failed 4th and 1 which gave Bama a short field and led to their first score.

Fulmer said 'it's not about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and the Joe's'

Watson is awesome, Williams is awesome, and Clemson's defense is full of awesome players. And that's really why they won the game.

He had plenty of time with the best player in America at QB. Stop acting like he stormed the beach of a hostile country.

Besides..... Best call of the game was conservatively punting on 4th and 1 late in the game and playing defense.

He won, so it is hard to criticize. That said, I thought the way he handled the last minute, pace and timeout use, was horrible.

Watson is awesome, Williams is awesome, and Clemson's defense is full of awesome players. And that's really why they won the game.

Kind of like Vince Young or Cam Newton. We'll see how they do next year or if they go downhill like Texas and auburn.

An interception or QB sack or fumble and Dabo is on the other side of the fence today with the "why didn't he just kick the dang FG" comments.

He was betting that his experienced QB would not make a mistake and he didn't.

VN Store

Back