Barnett's Good bye to Volnation @ Utsports

coffeevol

regular old member
Over the last few weeks, I’ve really thought about my time at the University of Tennessee and the people who have had the biggest impact on me. Playing at a prestigious, SEC program and then having the opportunity to declare for the NFL Draft after three years is a dream come true.

I'd like to thank my teammates. The relationships I’ve built with them will last a lifetime. I'm very grateful to have been able to grow over these last few years with my brothers.

Thank you to the football staff and specifically Coach Stripling, who dedicated a lot of time to the D-line room, helping us get better on the field and also being better men off the field. Thank you to Coach Ollie for helping me improve daily in my film study and for being critical of me. And thank you to Coach Jones for giving me the opportunity to play at a great university and represent my home state.

Thank you to all of the training staff and the equipment managers who worked tirelessly behind the scenes to make sure my teammates and I were prepared to go to work every day.

Thank you to the University of Tennessee for the opportunity to be a student-athlete at a great institution. Thank you to all of my professors and the Thornton Center staff for helping me balance all that goes into becoming a successful student-athlete.

I’d also like to thank Vol Nation – the best fans in the country – who have supported me from Day One.

Thank you to my family and close friends for being supportive of me and helping everything fall into place.

And thank you to my mother, Ms. Christine. Thank you for your hard work. I've seen how hard you’ve worked since I was a kid. I have always been inspired by that and that's where I get my motivation from. Thank you for your everlasting love and support.

Foregoing my senior year was a hard decision but it has always been my dream to play in the NFL.

As I enter the next journey of my life, it’s most important to me that you know, all I’ve ever wanted to do was represent the Tennessee Football program and my home state of Tennessee well.

Thank you for the great times and many memories - and God Bless,

- Derek Barnett

Reactions: 132 people
Every Vol fan should be thanking you, you have represented yourself and UT extremely well. Wishing you great success in every endeavor.

Reactions: 9 people
We're losing greatness. Reggie White's sack record stood for 33 years at UT. Just think of all the names that came through here and didn't break it. Derek Barnett did it in 3 years.

I hope the NFL is ready for him.

Reactions: 2 people
He left home as a kid fresh out of high school and came to Tennessee.

He leaves K town as a very fine young man and a credit to all the people in our footVol program that helped him become a solid man as well as a great player.

Our beloved Minister of the D has his eyes on you DB, make him and all of us very proud as you continue to become an even greater man.

You'll be missed but never forgotten as 1 of our best VFLs.

VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
I just hope the NFL refs know how to throw their flags on blatant holds.

I can hear Goodell saying it: "With the first pick of the 2017 draft, the Cleveland Browns select Derek Barnett, Defensive End, University of Tennessee."

Reactions: 1 person
First class, outstanding young MAN. A very bright future is awaiting him............
God Bless You too Derek!

"Bar-nett! Bar-nett! Bar-nett!"

All of Vol Nation loves you Derek and we will be cheering for you every play in the league.

Some say we'll miss you and that's true. In another sense, just like Reggie, you'll still be here with us in the legacy and example you contributed that will never leave.

Thanks for the great memories and I'm excited to see Derek Barnett take care of business in the NFL!

It's obvious your mother is an amazing mother and you honored her well with the values you demonstrated.

Proud of you, sir!

"Bar-nett! Bar-nett! Bar-nett!"

Reactions: 4 people
I just hope the NFL refs know how to throw their flags on blatant holds.

I can hear Goodell saying it: "With the first pick of the 2017 draft, the Cleveland Browns select Derek Barnett, Defensive End, University of Tennessee."

I hope not, the Titans need to pick him up with their 5th pick. Whats better than to play for your instate team in college and Pro's.

Young man just remember to come back to UT and get that 4yr paper. You never know when it'll come in handy.

Reactions: 3 people
I am going to miss watching DB put on the O & W and out battling every O-lineman he faced. Go get the money because you definitely deserve it.

VN Store

Back