2-Top 25(22) final rankings in a row!!!!!

madbamahater

Congrats to the Vols for finishing the final college football top 25 standings 2 years in a row! Settling at or around the top 22 in AP and Playoff rankings!

When was the last time a Vols football squad had 2 consecutive top 25 finishes?

Still doesn't take the burn away from the USCjr and Vandie loses. But the big bowl win capped of a relatively successful season.

***I had this team finishing with 8/9 total wins for 2016/bowl***

Anyone who actually believed this team was an SEC Champ caliber team and Playoff team was just hittin the pipe......

Reactions: 34 people
Well a lot of people were hitting the pipe then because most fans, experts, and media assumed this team would be competing in Atlanta for a SEC championship. We should have at least been in the sugar bowl this year with how down every team is. Still happy we are finally finishing ranked which we should every year.

Reactions: 20 people
Well a lot of people were hitting the pipe then because most fans, experts, and media assumed this team would be competing in Atlanta for a SEC championship. We should have at least been in the sugar bowl this year with how down every team is.

All the while everyone ignored the head coach of the Vols mentioning over and over that all the preseason hype was unnecessary and unwarranted and to basically pump the brakes just a bit........hahahaha at "experts"

Reactions: 5 people
Preseason I had 8-9 wins as likely. I never really thought the SEC East would happen for us early on, but there is no denying that an opportunity was squandered. No, I never thought we were that good this year....but you cannot play your way into contention by beating your division rivals, then mess the bed against the conference cellar dwellers. That is where the heartburn comes from. The apparent inability of this coach to get over the hump and close becomes more concerning every year, especially in light of his career win percentage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Congrats to the Vols for finishing the final college football top 25 standings 2 years in a row! Settling at or around the top 22 in AP and Playoff rankings!

Still doesn't take the burn away from the USCjr and Vandie loses. But the big bowl win capped of a relatively successful season.

Anyone who actually believed this team was an SEC Champ caliber team and Playoff team was just hittin the pipe......

Yes. People smoking and believing a two loss team coming into the back stretch of the sec schedule against the eastern conference bottom dwellers is a legit discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
nobody remembers or cares what the ranking is if you don't play for all the marbles.. it's all about the playoff now the top four teams and no one else matters

Reactions: 2 people
Agree with OP on hitting the pipe comment.

I for one was hopeful for SEC champ and NC (... you have to dream big when the season starts ...), but did not expect it to happen.

Team finished where I thought they would albeit the losses were not all to whom I expected them to be to.

It is good to be in the final poll two years in a row. Looking for three in a row next year.

Was this team an SEC-East winning caliber team? How about an 11-win team? You had this team winning 8/9, with 2 losses being to Vandy and SC? You didn't expect more once FL and GA were out of the way?

Your expectations for TN football sucks.

Reactions: 29 people

The East was probably the weakest it has ever been. Given that, this team should have won it. No pipe hits, just stating truth.

Reactions: 5 people
So excited for this, I mean Clemson has nothing on us we finished 22nd at in top 25 2 years in a row. Let's get all the players rings. I mean who could really expect this team to beat a pathetic usc and bad vandy team?

Reactions: 8 people
Preseason I had 8-9 wins as likely. I never really thought the SEC East would happen for us early on, but there is no denying that an opportunity was squandered. No, I never thought we were that good this year....but you cannot play your way into contention by beating your division rivals, then mess the bed against the conference cellar dwellers. That is where the heartburn comes from. The apparent inability of this coach to get over the hump and close becomes more concerning every year, especially in light of his career win percentage.

How do you know he can't get over the hump? He told us it will take about 6 years.......this was year 4

Reactions: 1 person
So excited for this, I mean Clemson has nothing on us we finished 22nd at in top 25 2 years in a row. Let's get all the players rings. I mean who could really expect this team to beat a pathetic usc and bad vandy team?

Imagine if they had lost the UF and UGA games? Hey, they won them!!!!!

You are a sad little man :no:

All the while everyone ignored the head coach of the Vols mentioning over and over that all the preseason hype was unnecessary and unwarranted and to basically pump the brakes just a bit........hahahaha at "experts"

Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB_ssHwseBg

Just keep lowering the bar!

Justification for the results of this season is the equivalent of a parent bragging to all their friends that their child is in all advanced (AP) classes then telling those same friends how happy you are that the child merely passed.

Reactions: 6 people

The majority of head coaches in college football make similar statements every year. It's coachspeak for "please don't hate on me if I fail to meet expectations". Take away the SC and Vandy losses, two teams we absolutely should have beat, and we would have won the East. Expectations would have been met.

Butch could have Alabama's (or I guess we should use Clemson now) roster and tell people to not believe the hype and to pump the breaks. It's his mentality as a coach. He will always just say that he is trying to compete and win every week. That doesn't mean that Butch isn't thinking otherwise though.

Reactions: 3 people
How do you know he can't get over the hump? He told us it will take about 6 years.......this was year 4

For me that's answered by the 8.7 career average. That's who he is as a coach....and while that's not bad, it's not what gets Tennessee where it is supposed to be. As proven, it's not adequate for winning the East, which is the first step to anything worthwhile.

I don't buy the 6 year timeframe any more than I buy the Best Coach in America statement. Both are coachspeak...one of which is designed to limit expectations.

I'm sure we'll hear the same in August '17, 18, 19, 20, etc......

Or, as long as Butch is here.

Yawn.

Reactions: 3 people
Reactions: 2 people
We had the most talented roster we've had in a decade to go along with the weakest sece in that same time frame. We should demand more. It's all about coaching. I don't care if it sets us back a year or 2...go big or go home. We have to throw a bunch of money at an elite coach. Or we'll have to become like the op. Being thrilled to death to not play in Atlanta and ending the season ranked 20th. Smh

Reactions: 4 people
The "we could have lost to Florida or UGA" argument is growing old. Florida had a good defense, but a horrible offense. You can't really argue they had more talent than us, and I think the scoreboard reflected it in that case. Georgia could have been a legit loss. In the end, we got lucky. But we also shouldn't have had our defense taken to school by a true freshman QB.

VN Store

Back