Larry Scott at OC might be what everyone secretly wants

jonnon111

What you see is what you get.
Hear me out.

So, while a large portion of posters believe they know what OC is "best" for our coaching staff and team, I have faith in Butch (Negas get off here). Debord worked out great as OC (see record book) but fans were increasingly disappointed in recruiting. Debord was not known as a recruiting powerhouse, but like his scheming and play calling, I think this was under appreciated.

At last, enter Larry Scott. Everything a state of Florida stargazer could wish for. Recruiting prowess drips from every word. However, he has no track record calling the plays. This worries me personally, but again I have faith in CBJ. But he could potentially bring in some real talent.

So just ask your self these questions: do I want a guy that everyone knows or a guy that works well with Butch? Do I want a known recruiter or a known play caller? No cheating, don't say both to each question because this is not madden. See AD and hotseat situation. Both situations don't have to be this way. AD could be hired ASAP and Butch should not even be considered for the hotseat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
He has to be considered the front runner. It appears outsiders are concerned about the absence of an AD. Can't really blame them. I really think most of these hires will come really close to NSD or after NSD. Don't want to spook too many recruits this late in the game.

Reactions: 3 people
He seems to be the only logical choice for OC. The O is fine, no need to change the system. I do believe we needed to call more aggressive game plans throughout the year. I also believe we could do a better job of putting our best players in spots where they can succeed. Those are easily correctable things. Maybe Scott brings some aggressive play calling. Everyone knows he's desperate to prove himself as a coach after being continually turned down for promotions. He's probably our best recruiter, he needs to be on this staff next fall.

Reactions: 4 people
Hear me out.

So, while a large portion of posters believe they know what OC is "best" for our coaching staff and team, I have faith in Butch (Negas get off here). Debord worked out great as OC (see record book) but fans were increasingly disappointed in recruiting. Debord was not known as a recruiting powerhouse, but like his scheming and play calling, I think this was under appreciated.

At last, enter Larry Scott. Everything a state of Florida stargazer could wish for. Recruiting prowess drips from every word. However, he has no track record calling the plays. This worries me personally, but again I have faith in CBJ. But he could potentially bring in some real talent.

So just ask your self these questions: do I want a guy that everyone knows or a guy that works well with Butch? Do I want a known recruiter or a known play caller? No cheating, don't say both to each question because this is not madden. See AD and hotseat situation. Both situations don't have to be this way. AD could be hired ASAP and Butch should not even be considered for the hotseat.
Please don't listen to most of these guys on Volnation...Most hardly know what the duties of an OC is much less who would make a good one or not....I've been around long enough to remember how people reacted to making CPF and CDC our OC's and the same questions where thrown around...WHAT!!! ... an offensive line coach/former player as OC??? Majors has lost his mind...What?...a barely known assistance coach who was an unknown player in his own right and we make him our QB coach/OC??? Phil has lost his mind.... So the last thing I care to know is what Volnation thinks about our OC hire....

Reactions: 15 people
Hear me out.

The coordinators typically recruit less than position coaches and staffers. Notice you always see RC title with a position coach. So you are saying put the best recruiter there? Exceptions? Sure, but not many.

I haven't kept up wth which recruits he has brought in this year.

Last edited:
i dont see a problem in it honestly, Butch will have Larry Scott on a short leash. Bring in Chris Weinke and you open up a door to IMG academy. im def ok with this.

Reactions: 5 people
It is just so crazy, other big name schools can make big time hires and kick butt from day one but for some odd reason, no matter what sport or coaching position....we cant get it done. Ever. I cant think of one single coaching hire in my lifetime (and im 42) that has INSTANTLY become a game changing hit from day one at Tennessee. I see other schools constantly making big name hires for instant gratification on and off of the field but never here. Ohio state, florida (usually), Bama, Clemson, oregon, boise state (not lately), georgia, just to name a few. Why do we have such a problem finding the right guy or gal for the job? And secondly why do ours seemingly never make a major impact right away when so many others make immediate playoff contending changes to their teams? Just wish it would happen for us. Hell we havent had a mean defense since Chavis began getting soft.

It seems that we are the football team of dreams and high hopes that always makes the wrong decisions in regards to hiring within the atheletic department. (Although Butch was a major and much needed upgrade at the time).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
It is just so crazy, other big name schools can make big time hires and kick butt from day one but for some odd reason, no matter what sport or coaching position....we cant get it done. Ever. I cant think of one single coaching hire in my lifetime (and im 42) that has INSTANTLY become a game changing hit from day one at Tennessee. I see other schools constantly making big name hires for instant gratification on and off of the field but never here. Ohio state, florida (usually), Bama, Clemson, oregon, boise state (not lately), georgia, just to name a few. Why do we have suck a problem finding the right guy for the job? And secondly why do they never make a major impact right away when so many others make immediate playoff contending changes to their teams? Just wish it would happen for us. Hell we havent had a mean defense since Chavis began getting soft.

You may not think so but hiring Bob Shoop was big time.

Reactions: 16 people
Reactions: 2 people
Fertile grounds down here but it's getting awful crowded with all the "big names" coming to Florida (Kiffin, Richt, Strong) are some of the latest...recruiting is gonna get much tougher so Larry Scott (he's already snagged a few) might just continue to be a bigger/better hire with the OC job...it looks better to the kids when recruiting...:)Whatever happens...don't lose too much sleep over it...:eek:lol:...and, as always...

GO VOLS!

Hear me out.

Am ok with Scott, as long as top notch QB coach comes with him

Reactions: 1 person
If he bumps Scott to OC he might as well make CZA QB coach the moves equal the same amount of sense.

Doubt anyone wants to see an assistant promoted within. Especially one who hasn't called plays at the collegiate level before.

Hear me out.

Sorry, but this isnt the place.. nor the time in butch's tenure here to trot out a OC who's never called plays before, butch cant afford to do that next year, or he might be looking for a job at seasons end.

Reactions: 2 people
He has to be considered the front runner. It appears outsiders are concerned about the absence of an AD. Can't really blame them. I really think most of these hires will come really close to NSD or after NSD. Don't want to spook too many recruits this late in the game.

But you don't wanna wait till after NSD and have a bunch of recruits and parents say they were lied to and end up transferring out

VN Store

Back