Prepare to be underwhelmed again on OC Hire

Of course we will be underwhelmed. It isn't Gruden or any of the other people the fans and media have made to seem interested in our job.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't see why anybody would expect a big name hire at OC when the coach's job is in jeopardy heading into next year, especially when we are losing big pieces at quarterback, running back, and receiver. It just wouldn't make any sense for an OC with good options to come here right now.

Reactions: 10 people
Scott paired with a good QB coach would be fine. My only questions are if Scott gets promoted, who will coach ST and will Azzani get mad and start looking for other jobs?

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully, the Vols will hire another OC who will set a new record for TDs and total offense. The last one sure worked out well. Too bad the defense didn't perform up to the offense's standards.

Reactions: 31 people
Dave Hooker seems to have a good read on Jones.

I'd expect Azzani or Scott to get the coordinator title and Jones to bring his buddy from N Texas in from obscurity in Canales to help with the QB.

Find it asinine to think a guy like Dorsey is gonna leave a team that made the Super Bowl last season to come be a yes man for Jones.

I don't see why anybody would expect a big name hire at OC when the coach's job is in jeopardy heading into next year, especially when we are losing big pieces at quarterback, running back, and receiver. It just wouldn't make any sense for an OC with good options to come here right now.

Only in the tiny minds of some delusional fans and media click hunters
is Jones job on the line this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Dave Hooker seems to have a good read on Jones.

I'd expect Azzani or Scott to get the coordinator title and Jones to bring his buddy from N Texas in from obscurity in Canales to help with the QB.

Find it asinine to think a guy like Dorsey is gonna leave a team that made the Super Bowl last season to come be a yes man for Jones.

I forgot that Butch was boys with Canales. I'd bet a lot to say you're spot on right there.

I forgot that Butch was boys with Canales. I'd bet a lot to say you're spot on right there.

No clue really, I just know a lot of local media is really playing up the in house or prepare to be underwhelmed option.

Also don't have faith in Jones to make the splash hire in a critical season.

If he was gonna do that, should have done it two seasons ago instead of DeBord when he had more equity from being able to use the rebuilding excuse.

Scott paired with a good QB coach would be fine. My only questions are if Scott gets promoted, who will coach ST and will Azzani get mad and start looking for other jobs?

To me the QB coach is the biggest hire. Butch runs the offense like other offensive minded head coaches all over the country. I'm looking forward to see who gets the QB coaching job.

Only in the tiny minds of some delusional fans is Jones job on the line this year.

Colin Cowherd, who probably doesn't give a damn about Tennessee, described Tennessee as being a 'gold standard' job with a 'gym teacher' as a coach. Now, of course Colin Cowherd has no say on when Butch Jones will be fired, but you can be damn sure that if he's looking at our situation and realizing that Butch Jones' continued employment isn't making much sense, potential offensive coordinators are picking up on that as well.

Reactions: 18 people
Butch might be better off setting up a poll on VN each game day... we, the astute, will pick each play... the most votes cast is the play to run. What could go wrong?

Reactions: 4 people
Colin Cowherd, who probably doesn't give a damn about Tennessee, described Tennessee as being a 'gold standard' job with a 'gym teacher' as a coach. Now, of course Colin Cowherd has no say on when Butch Jones will be fired, but you can be damn sure that if he's looking at our situation and realizing that Butch Jones' continued employment isn't making much sense, potential offensive coordinators are picking up on that as well.

Yep. He is so respected and knows a lot. How many years now has he said the SEC is overrated and won't win a title?
if a radio guy says something the whiners want to hear or if a writer writes something the whiners want to read then they're smart media members. LOL

Reactions: 12 people
wasn't a troll job. Butch decided not a fit and Helfrich may very well agreed with Butch.. Helfrich doesn't need a job so he can be very picky. Butch doesn't want anyone unless they fit his comfort level. Helfrich didn't

What more should we expect? I honestly have no idea how we got a guy like Shoop unless him and Butch has some sort of history. We thought we'd make a good hire after Bajakian, and we got Debord. Debord wasn't terrible but I wish we would swing for the fences for once.

Yep. He is so respected and knows a lot. How many years now has he said the SEC is overrated and won't win a title?
if a radio guy says something the whiners want to hear or if a writer writes something the whiners want to read then they're smart media members. LOL

I get more insight from the painted rock on the hill than from those guys.

The last time we made an underwhelming hire we wound up with the 2nd best rushing offense the next year and near record setting point season the next year with more to spare.

The last time we where overwhelmed with a splash hire we wound up with a near record setting defense in most yards given up and made Vandy's QB look like Tom freaking Brady.

I may just like being underwhelmed.

Reactions: 10 people

You're talking about Colin Cowturd. Couldn't care less what he has to say, ever

Reactions: 2 people

I'm not even talking up Cowherd. I'm simply stating that he's in no way the only one observing our situation and coming to a similar conclusion.

And since you said only delusional fans or people looking for clicks think Butch's seat is hot, which category does LWS fall into?

Reactions: 2 people
It doesnt matter if Butch hires Dooley. Next season there will be 90,000 plus fans in the seats. And tons of *****ing and moaning on volnation. This is the most dissatisfied group of fans in the SEC. And yes im one of them. For some God aweful reason the administration at UT isnt worried about the fans or winning or losing because per the sec tv deals the money is gonna always be there. Unless we have back to back losing seasons again i dont see Butch going anywhere or making a drastic change because his ego is bigger than Sabans.

You're talking about Colin Cowturd. Couldn't care less what he has to say, ever

I listened to his show for about 2 weeks several years ago on espn and quickly realized that he has some weird takes on sports and life. Only Jim Rome is worse

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back