Former players as practice squad

Grand Vol

Official VN Armorer
Lab Rat
Apparently using them is okay on "occasion."

Tennessee coach Butch Jones to consider using former players in bowl practices

Alabama made news earlier this season when it was revealed Nick Saban invited former players like Blake Sims, John Parker Wilson and Trent Richardson to simulate upcoming opponents on the Crimson Tide’s scout team.

Coach Butch Jones said it’s something the Vols could do before their Music City Bowl game against Nebraska:

“We have not brought in a former player to practice,” Jones said during a Monday morning press conference inside Tennessee’s Ray and Lucy Hand Digital Studio. “That’s something that we have talked about as a staff, but I think there’s a lot of things that go into that. But we have not done that.

“But I can tell you we’ve had discussions about doing that at some point in time or another.”

Bring in Al Wilson to say "now boys, this is how you hit someone" and watch him go wild. But then again, as injured as we are, that might not be such a good idea...

The idea of Peyton as scout team QB and Dobbs learning from the best certainly has merit.

Reactions: 2 people
Based on how college offenses operate now, I think it'd be great to have Dobbs come back and emulate scrambling QBs who run the spread next year. He obviously could do that very well.

Reactions: 1 person
Based on how college offenses operate now, I think it'd be great to have Dobbs come back and emulate scrambling QBs who run the spread next year. He obviously could do that very well.

they'll get more than enough with JG...:)

GO VOLS!

The idea of Peyton as scout team QB and Dobbs learning from the best certainly has merit.

Dobbs struggles enough throwing the deep ball. Adding "wounded ducks" to his arsenal is not a good idea. :thud:

I think all that could really be gained by doing this is technique. They're not going to hit those guys.. You don't want Al Wilson blowing guys up, lol.. We're already beat up enough..

Would love to get Rod Wilks back to show our D how to stop someone by running the 0-0-1 defensive scheme.

Reactions: 3 people
Not sure how former players can simulate game speed. They are generally out of shape.

I see this as a distraction more than a supplement.

Saban has done this for a few years now. He's invited a couple former RBs and QBs to simulate certain players.

Not sure how former players can simulate game speed. They are generally out of shape.

I see this as a distraction more than a supplement.

I don't think it's an open invite. If it's like Saban we bring in guys like AJ Johnson or Marlin Lane. Guys out of the program but likely still in good shape.

Scout team- 75
Team 120-17

Jmo, tifiw.

Horrible idea I see heart attacks all over the field.. Middle age men trying to reclaim their youth

I'd say that he's talking about more recent players. Not Al Wilson, Peerless Price, Stallworth, Andy Kelly, and Keith DeLong.

Bring in Al Wilson to say "now boys, this is how you hit someone" and watch him go wild. But then again, as injured as we are, that might not be such a good idea...

The only problem I see is if players hit like Al Wilson did, the refs will find a reason to eject them. And as long as Al has been out of it, I seriously doubt he will "go wild". He does not need to aggravate old injuries.

And Dobbs learning from Peyton HAD merit. Dobbs has one game left. Nine months ago, you had a point. And had it happened, we might have won at least 3 more games. The further education and development of Joshua Dobbs will be in the hands of a NFL coach.

As long as they are in some semblance of playing shape. Al Wilson is in his 40s so I'm not sure he would survive against our 1s and 2s even in practice.

As long as they are in some semblance of playing shape. Al Wilson is in his 40s so I'm not sure he would survive against our 1s and 2s even in practice.

Should have been read with blue font.

But Al can teach some of them about aggression on the field.

VN Store

Back