Dobbs NFL aspirations

Good luck to him. I always had the impression that Dobbs would be content pursuing an aeronautics career after his VOL days. Hope he gets a shot in the NFL and does well.

Reactions: 2 people
Dobbs = Box of chocolates

You just never know what your gonna get.
No matter what, he better learn how to hold onto the ball.

Reactions: 4 people
Well yea. I have no idea why people assumed he would skip a try at the NFL for a job he can get 10 years from now.

I'm curious to see how he'll do in the NFL. Though, in a sense, if he ends up being a star, it almost ends up being an indictment of our offensive coaches. His biggest problem has always been accuracy on medium and deep passes.

While he's being compared to Dak Prescott, Dak was much more successful as a college QB. Here's a Senior to Senior comparison:

Dak: 3,793 yds, 66.7% completion rate, 29 TDs, 5 INTs
Dobbs: 2,655 yds, 63.3% completion rate, 26 TDs, 12 INTs

Also keep in mind that Dobbs played with much better Running Backs than Dak Prescott ever did. This isn't really a knock on Dobbs, so much as a testament to how phenomenal Dak Prescott was as a college QB. No one should mistake Dak Prescott for a "project"; he's one of the best college QBs of this decade.

I'm guessing Dobbs will go in the mid to late rounds. Some team will see potential and take a shot with him. Probably the best scenario for him is to be a 5th Round pick for a team with good coaches. He won't have to jump into action immediately and can develop for a year or two. Even if Dobbs gets a few years as a backup in the NFL, it'll give him more capital to do what he wants to do business-wise after he retires from football.

Reactions: 3 people
Nearly 3800yds, 29/5 td/int and 66.2% completion his Sr year I think is "pretty good".

Mullen's scheme didn't require him to read defenses or make throws into tight windows. I guess I should have said that he didn't the passing skills that NFL teams usually look for (hence him being drafted in the 4th round and not the 1st)

Mullen's scheme didn't require him to read defenses or make throws into tight windows. I guess I should have said that he didn't the passing skills that NFL teams usually look for (hence him being drafted in the 4th round and not the 1st)

Even if one were to consider that true that's still the 9th best yardage season in SEC history. I don't care what the scheme was you put up those #'s in the SEC and I think your observation is more than a bit dismissive of Prescott's accomplishments.

Even if one were to consider that true that's still the 9th best yardage season in SEC history. I don't care what the scheme was you put up those #'s in the SEC and I think your observation is more than a bit dismissive of Prescott's accomplishments.

I'm not overly impressed by a raw yardage amount. Lots of QBs throw for big yardage - it's the nature of today's game. For example Tyler Bray threw for just over 3600 yds in his final year at Tennessee. Even threw 5 more TDs than Prescott did in his senior year.

I was more dismissive of Prescott's passing ability, not his overall QB ability (he was a great college QB). I am really surprised by his NFL success; I don't think I'm alone in that though.

He should do pretty well. He will have access to great QB coaches; could really improve his game by 100%!

I love Josh Dobbs, but he has not once ever demonstrated that he has the skill set to play QB in the NFL.

If he does get drafted and emerges into an NFL quarterback, it would be the most resounding evidence of the inabilities of CBJ and company to date because he's a LONG, LONG way from there right now. It would represent a remarkable level of development that obviously CBJ and company couldn't achieve.

Who ever lands Dobbs will be getting a good level headed, smart kid who could learn behind some starter and turn into a decent NFL QB in 3-4 years. Dobbs is smart and a pretty decent QB right now .. learning under a good QB coach, he can really take it next level. Plus even back up or third string jobs pay around 400k. Dobbs won't get that pay even after 15-20 years as Aerospace guy with amazing career.
Also if it doesn't workout well, he can always come back get his masters and who would want to hire a ex-NFL QB with MS in aerospace for their company ? We always look for 'work-ethic' as a key thing for our hires. He has plenty of that.

I love Josh Dobbs, but he has not once ever demonstrated that he has the skill set to play QB in the NFL.

If he does get drafted and emerges into an NFL quarterback, it would be the most resounding evidence of the inabilities of CBJ and company to date because he's a LONG, LONG way from there right now. It would represent a remarkable level of development that obviously CBJ and company couldn't achieve.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm not overly impressed by a raw yardage amount. Lots of QBs throw for big yardage - it's the nature of today's game. For example Tyler Bray threw for just over 3600 yds in his final year at Tennessee. Even threw 5 more TDs than Prescott did in his senior year.

I was more dismissive of Prescott's passing ability, not his overall QB ability (he was a great college QB). I am really surprised by his NFL success; I don't think I'm alone in that though.

We aren't talking just raw yardage (9th best in SEC history btw)...his 66.2 comp % and 29/5 int/td ratio is very good.

All I'm saying is that Prescott's ability to complete a pass or two was actually fairly vetted coming out of college and while his degree of success might be surprising to many it's not like he came out of nowhere.

I'm surprised that that so many people are "surprised" by Dak's success in the NFL. Obviously, I didn't expect him to be "this good" this soon, but I thought he would be a very good NFL QB. IMO the only reason Dak went so late is because Johnny Manziel was such a bust.

These NFL teams go back-and-forth on dual threat QBs. Only a few have been successful in the league long-term. Donovan McNabb and Mike Vick have been the two that adapted to the NFL game the easiest (people even seem to forget that McNabb was once considered "dual threat"). There have been many more flops; on top of Manziel, Tebow has been a huge bust, too.

Yet, Manziel failed mostly because he had a terrible work ethic. I'll never understand how he was a 1st round pick. His "red flags" were so unbelievably obvious. Dak Prescott is not Johnny Manziel, though.

He threw for like 3800 yards his senior year...

First of all, he was a redshirt senior. So a year older than Dobbs who is just a true senior.

Second, Dobbs had a higher yards per attempt average. So he could have thrown for that many yards if our offense was more predicated on the pass.

Imagine the numbers Dobbs would put up if he had been redshirted his true freshmen year and was coming back for next year?

Reactions: 1 person
If some team picks up Dobbs it means they see raw talent in passing that was never developed during his time at Tennessee.

Well yea. I have no idea why people assumed he would skip a try at the NFL for a job he can get 10 years from now.

Now that I can agree with you on.....both the point and the explanation why. Plus, NFL money as a backup qb allows him to accumulate seed money to eventually start his own firm. Win-win. Either way, kid has an incredibly bright future.

VN Store

Back