Majority of SEC teams not favored in their bowls?

MWAVolfan

I haven't seen all the Vegas odds, but multiple "bowl prediction" articles have the majority of SEC teams projected to lose. Would this be a first?

Also, how much of Tennessee's failure to meet expectations is casting a shadow on the media's opinion of the conference?

Reactions: 2 people
If you look at the matchups with the SEC tie ins the SEC is usually matched against a higher finishing team in the ACC or Big 10. It is typically this way and why it shows the SEC strength when they win.

I haven't seen all the Vegas odds, but multiple "bowl prediction" articles have the majority of SEC teams projected to lose. Would this be a first?

Also, how much of Tennessee's failure to meet expectations is casting a shadow on the media's opinion of the conference?

Tennessee's failures reflect on no one but Tennessee. Out of conference we did fine.

The conference as a whole only having one team eclipse 9 wins is what casts a shadow on the SEC as a whole.

Reactions: 4 people
Not surprising. One great team, a couple of decent teams and a bunch of also rans. Not a great year for the conference.

Tennessee's failures reflect on no one but Tennessee. Out of conference we did fine.

The conference as a whole only having one team eclipse 9 wins is what casts a shadow on the SEC as a whole.

But UT was supposed to be one of the primary teams eclipsing 9 wins.

Not surprising. One great team, a couple of decent teams and a bunch of also rans. Not a great year for the conference.

Yeah, I'm my question is when is the last time this was so overtly true about the SEC in the media?

Was it a similar situation to last year, when 9 SEC teams won their bowl games? The SEC may have been favored in more, not sure.

The Southeastern Conference set a new NCAA record for bowl wins
The SEC has now won 15 bowl games in the last two seasons, also a record. Seven of the eight bowl victories this season came versus major conference opponents, including a 3-1 record versus Top 25 teams. The average margin of victory in the SEC’s eight bowl wins this postseason is 26 points.
With ten teams advancing to bowl games this season, the SEC became the first conference to send at least 10 teams to postseason bowls in three consecutive seasons. The SEC sent a NCAA-record 12 teams to participate in postseason bowl games in 2014 and has sent no less than eight teams to post-season bowls in each of the last ten seasons.
The SEC owned the previous record for postseason bowl victories with seven wins in 2007, 2013 and 2014.

It was a down year for most teams in the SEC not named Alabama. Ten teams had an out of conference loss and no one except Bama finished better than 8-4.

Reactions: 1 person

It's part of it, certainly, because a major media narrative before the season started was that Tennessee was going to emerge and play for a conference championship, which by definition says they could at least flirt with a playoff appearance.

It also has a lot to do with there is just a ton of mediocrity in the SEC once you move past Alabama. The conference title game was decided by 38 points and everybody knew it was going to be. The conference's Sugar Bowl representative is ranked 14th in the country. The opening weekend to the season was not impressive for the conference and stuck out in people's minds (Tennessee almost lost to App St, LSU lost, Auburn lost, Ole Miss blew a huge lead and lost, Miss St lost to a non-P5 team). It needed an Alabama blowout over USC to save it from being a complete disaster, and Georgia winning also helped.

The 2015 and 2016 SEC seasons are not like the glory years from approximately 2005 - 2013. Not only did the SEC win or play for a national title in each of those years, the conference was really deep once you moved beyond that year's "flagship" team. The last couple of years it has been Alabama and a bunch of mediocre teams.

Last edited:

None.

Cause the sec aint that good.

Go Vols, Go Huskies, and screw the rest of the sec. I hope they all get beat.

No and None.

I'm not a gambler, but this could be a rough bowl season for the SEC:

Miami-OH vs. Mississippi State (W)
NC State (W) vs. Vandy
Texas A&M vs. Kansas State (W)
USF (W) vs. South Carolina
Arkansas vs. Virginia Tech (W)
Georgia vs. TCU (W)
Nebraska vs. the Good Guys (W)
LSU (W) vs. Louisville
Georgia Tech (W) vs. Kentucky
Florida (W) vs. Iowa
Auburn vs. Oklahoma (W)
Bama (W, by a lot) vs. Washington

Not that I care how the rest of the SEC does, but we are a group of 13 bleh teams with one dynasty on top.

You know it's almost as if the SEC was terribly mediocre once you got past a contender for the greatest team ever holding it up

You know it's almost as if the SEC was terribly mediocre once you got past a contender for the greatest team ever holding it up
No doubt. If they win this playoff and they should, they'd be right up there.. I don't think they'll have a problem with Washington, although they're a well coached team. Only teams that might give them a game will be Ohio State or Clemson.. It's hard to imagine anybody doing much against that defense. I'll have to see it to believe it..

anything cast on the Vols was by us...SEC will be repping in the bowls...talking heads like to stir up stuff...:rock:

GO VOLS...BEAT HUSKERS!

The SEC chest pounders aren't gonna like this, but the SEC has lost it's claim as the best conference for now. Right now you have Alabama and a bunch of decent but not great 8- 4 teams. Big 10 is by far the best conference this year.

VN Store

Back