Josh Dobbs 2016 season has a chance to be STATISTICALLY the best in school history

Dobbs 4 Heisman

We all know about the career numbers. Josh Dobbs will go down as #2 all-time in school history when it comes to career TDs and #3 all-time in school history when it comes to career yards. However, what has been less discussed is how great Dobbs 2016 season is historically in terms of single-season production. With a bowl game left, Josh has a good chance to set the school record for total yards and TDs scored in a single season.

Dobbs needs only 418 yards and 4 TDs in the bowl game to breaks Peyton Manning's 1997 single-season record for total yards and TDs.

2436712_Thumb.jpg

Here is where Dobbs 2016 season ranks in the SEC and nationally:

CymZw_KVIAANU7-.jpg

Pretty incredible numbers considering how weak our offensive line was and how tough our schedule turned out to be.

Josh Dobbs 2016 season is incredible underrated.

Josh Dobbs is having one of the best seasons in Tennessee history | WBIR.com

Reactions: 19 people
He's worked hard as an individual. He deserves a lot of respect. Maybe a street too! Just 3 key turnovers less and this could have been an awesome season all because of him. An interception against SC an interception in OT versus A&M and a fumble against Vandy. Still a great career though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
So I thought Jones has been using him wrong........can't have it both ways junior. Jones "gimmick" offense is the only reason that dobbs is even a QB at this level.

Reactions: 6 people
He has been a tear the latter half of the season. I'm not going to point out his short comings this year, I'm thankful we have him. Without him we aren't 8-4, it's a bad season. By no means am I saying I'm happy with 8-4. Saying it could have been much worse.

If our defense continues to be a sieve, Dobbs may be forced to put up those numbers. He's got a really good shot at it.

Dear God.........Dobbs isn't even in the same stratosphere as Manning as far as being a QB.

I love Manning am one of his biggest fans. I am just saying based off of career numbers at UT. Take into consideration the teams that Manning and Dobbs were surrounded by and you have to admit what Dobbs has done is pretty dang good!

Reactions: 4 people
Dear God.........Dobbs isn't even in the same stratosphere as Manning as far as being a QB.

Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't.

The numbers say he's second in school history for total TDs, third for total yards. And his 2016 season could set the school record for yards and TDs in a season.

Dobbs isn't a better QB than Manning. But he is in the same stratosphere. His production says so loudly.

Reactions: 14 people
We all know about the career numbers. Josh Dobbs will go down as #2 all-time in school history when it comes to career TDs and #3 all-time in school history when it comes to career yards. However, what has been less discussed is how great Dobbs 2016 season is historically in terms of single-season production. With a bowl game left, Josh has a good chance to set the school record for total yards and TDs scored in a single season.

Dobbs needs only 418 yards and 4 TDs in the bowl game to breaks Peyton Manning's 1997 single-season record for total yards and TDs.

2436712_Thumb.jpg

CymZw_KVIAANU7-.jpg

Pretty incredible numbers considering how weak our offensive line was and how tough our schedule turned out to be.

I thought you didn't like Dobbs any more and that hE was terrible.

Imagine if Dobbs played for Alabama his numbers would be ridiculous. I know that most would say he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but who could when they are constantly under pressure on every pass play..

Reactions: 5 people
Imagine if Dobbs played for Alabama his numbers would be ridiculous. I know that most would say he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn but who could when they are constantly under pressure on every pass play..

He would be in New York next week collecting the Heisman trophy.

Reactions: 6 people
Offense was not the real problem this year - yes they were slow to start in some games - but many teams, even those among the top, had games where they had to come back to win.

200 or so yards to have the second best year.

We are so going to miss this guy - he has quietly done his job and done it well.

Reactions: 2 people
Stats don't always tell the whole story and that is not a knock on Dobbs he represented UT well. But he is not the best or close to the best as far as wins and losses. Many better passers and readers of defenses, we have also had QB's that could run and make people miss better than Dobbs. Still, Dobbs will go down as a good QB for sure and a great representative for UT and college football. GBO!!!! VFL!!!!

2436712_Thumb.jpg

CymZw_KVIAANU7-.jpg

Awesome. I think he'll also be one of those that 20 years from now we look at for an example of success in things more important than sports.

Stats don't always tell the whole story and that is not a knock on Dobbs he represented UT well. But he is not the best or close to the best as far as wins and losses. Many better passers and readers of defenses, we have also had QB's that could run and make people miss better than Dobbs. Still, Dobbs will go down as a good QB for sure and a great representative for UT and college football. GBO!!!! VFL!!!!

Stats tell a better story for a player than wins and losses IMO. Coaches should be rated on W/L

It's not all about wins and losses for a QB, Tee Martin had more wins in 98 than Manning was able to acquire in a single year but no one would argue that Martin is in the same league as Manning.

VN Store

Back