Is Helfrich @ OC a legit discussion?

RDU VOL#14

I’m a Flawed Character
I'm seeing a lot of stuff about Helfrich possibly being courted to Tennessee as an offensive coordinator. I think it would be a home run hire obviously, but is this at all possible? Butch would have to actually be a little more open with his staff if he were hired. Hopefully Butch can delegate a little more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I dont buy it. Until I see some sort of credible evidence that Helfrich has been in contact with Butch or has been interviewed, its another Grumor.

If he did come here, I wonder who Butch would hire as a QB coach?

Reactions: 5 people
I sure hope so. I like the idea of him as OC/QB. I really think it would be a great hire. Got to assume he's a better recruiter than Debord

Reactions: 17 people
Lo freaking l. You think Butch is gonna change anything if no one leaves? You think he's gonna handover his offense to someone else? What have you seen to give you that idea? Even if DeBord leaves, he'll just promote Azzanni to OC and Sheridan to QB coach.

Butch doesn't think anything is wrong with his system

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
That whole piece seemed like an attempt to ease tension.

The likelihood of anyone being fired other than SC is slim.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody worth his salt is coming to coach with the dead man walking.

The jig is up...the coaching community has Butch's number.

Reactions: 15 people
Idk about a legit discussion yet, from what I hear helfrich would be interested to be a OC here.

If they do, it's because they see an opportunity to be the interim and take his job next year when he's fired after 5 games. Only reason I could see Helfrich here.

Look, I'm not an insider. I've read a lot today, and it seems it's a discussion . If I didn't think it wasn't worthy of talking about I wouldn't bring it up..

Reactions: 5 people
Think of the great Randy Shannon tails of 2012, thats probably all this will turn out to be. Except this time Medley will be tweeting it out.

That may be why Helfrich is interested. Come be an OC for a year or two and have an inside track to the HC job when Butch gets canned!

Reactions: 2 people
ONLY hope I have in Butch ever winning even a SECCG is if he hires an OC and cleans house with his assts. Don't think Shoop is a bust, I think his position coaches are avg.

Reactions: 1 person
I read the other thread about him and really do not put much stock in it.
Just how many great hires has been made at UT in all sports over the years? You can count on one hand and have fingers left over.

Reactions: 1 person
Helfrich coached Marriota

Mariota coached by Chip Kelly, Helfrich was Kelly's puppet. As soon as the Kelly players started graduating Oregon started going down, really to some extent before. Look up Helfrich's bio he has been so so to sub par everywhere he's been. Don't want....He's just not HC material some are not.Now Butch may hire him like Kelly did to be a yes man. He's at best a 7 and 5 or 6 and 6 coach..

VN Store

Back