No excuses for CBJ in 2017

VolMax

Guys, he's not going anywhere. If this board were 100% Fahr Butch, it wouldn't matter. The AD situation, the buyout, and another bowl win will leave us at 9-4...too much progress from where we were to pull the trigger.

I thought the pre-season hype was too early. His first class, that he had 55 days to recruit, are just now seniors. See my Senior Leadership thread to see how that matters.

2017 is a different story.

First look at what we're really losing from this year:

Dobbs - according to many Fahr Butcher's on here, an inaccurate passer anyway that won't be that missed (much).
JRM - missed 8 games, balled out w/13 tackles v VaTech, pray for a redshirt
Vereen - averaged 2.9 tackles per game
Foreman - 3 INT's, missed 5 games in a VERY weak secondary.
Croom - 19 catches, missed 2 games - his best season.
Sutton - missed 6 games and wasn't the same upon his return.
Lewis - 2.9 tackles per game, missed 2 games.
Bynum - 1.7 tackles per game, missed 6 games.
Wiesman - injured most of the year.
Folger - thanks for your efforts.
Juniors:
Barnett - 12 sacks, probably won't be back as high 1st rounder.
Kamara - how much would he benefit from being the starter in 2017? Kelly will get 1,000+ if he leaves.

Summary is we're really just losing Barnett and Dobbs. If you want to add Sutton and JRM, then you have to buy the injury excuse.

Our roster on espn.com shows 30 juniors this year. Subtract the malignant quitter turd and it'll be 29 SENIORS. A 223% increase in seniors from the 13 we honored on Senior Day vs Mizzou.

Look at Upperclassmen by position:
DL - 10
LB - 6
DB - 9
OL - 9
WR - 8 (assuming Malone stays)
RB - 3

When is the last time we had numbers like that? Even with a 1st-year starter @ QB, a good coach with that many upperclassmen (assuming they've been properly developed by that "good coach") should win at least 10 on our schedule next year.

So, IMO, 2017 will tell us if Butch can coach or not. I think most rational folks have thought that all along. Until then, it'd be great if we could be supportive and positive. Who knows, current players and recruits may actually read the chicken little rants and snowflake fits some post here.

Let's win a bowl game and get excited about 2017. If Butch lays another egg, I'll gladly join the Fahr Butch gang!

GBO!

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
So, IMO, 2017 will tell us if Butch can coach or not. I think most rational folks have thought that all along.

GBO!

So Butch can only be fairly evaluated as a coach when he has a senior-laden roster? So once every four years (insert year zero joke here)?

Reactions: 1 person
You do know the best we can finish is 9-4? Technically it's regression even though we finished the regular season with the same WL record as last year. Last year we went 5-3 in the SEC and this year it's 4-4.

Reactions: 1 person
Next year is a rebuild year, who will replace Barnett? He constantly got double teams and still made the play. Dobbs for his inaccuracy was a huge threat running the ball. His scramble runs were 75% of the big plays (20+ yards) this offense had this year. Kamara was a big portion of the other. Kelly and Chandler will make for a great RB duo and make it easier on the new QB.

No, 2016 was the year of no excuses, top rated players on both sides of the ball, senior quarterback top returning defensive players like Barnett Sutton and Maybin, had JR RB poised to break all time rushing record. The rest of the east was down, new coaches with freshman/inexperienced quarterbacks. 2017 is only going to be more difficult.

Reactions: 4 people
Guys, he's not going anywhere. If this board were 100% Fahr Butch, it wouldn't matter. The AD situation, the buyout, and another bowl win will leave us at 10-4...too much progress from where we were to pull the trigger.

I thought the pre-season hype was too early. His first class, that he had 55 days to recruit, are just now seniors. See my Senior Leadership thread to see how that matters.

2017 is a different story.

First look at what we're really losing from this year:

Dobbs - according to many Fahr Butcher's on here, an inaccurate passer anyway that won't be that missed (much).
JRM - missed 8 games, balled out w/13 tackles v VaTech, pray for a redshirt
Vereen - averaged 2.9 tackles per game
Foreman - 3 INT's, missed 5 games in a VERY weak secondary.
Croom - 19 catches, missed 2 games - his best season.
Sutton - missed 6 games and wasn't the same upon his return.
Lewis - 2.9 tackles per game, missed 2 games.
Bynum - 1.7 tackles per game, missed 6 games.
Wiesman - injured most of the year.
Folger - thanks for your efforts.
Juniors:
Barnett - 12 sacks, probably won't be back as high 1st rounder.
Kamara - how much would he benefit from being the starter in 2017? Kelly will get 1,000+ if he leaves.

Summary is we're really just losing Barnett and Dobbs. If you want to add Sutton and JRM, then you have to buy the injury excuse.

Our roster on espn.com shows 30 juniors this year. Subtract the malignant quitter turd and it'll be 29 SENIORS. A 223% increase in seniors from the 13 we honored on Senior Day vs Mizzou.

Look at Upperclassmen by position:
DL - 10
LB - 6
DB - 9
OL - 9
WR - 8 (assuming Malone stays)
RB - 3

When is the last time we had numbers like that? Even with a 1st-year starter @ QB, a good coach with that many upperclassmen (assuming they've been properly developed by that "good coach") should win at least 10 on our schedule next year.

So, IMO, 2017 will tell us if Butch can coach or not. I think most rational folks have thought that all along. Until then, it'd be great if we could be supportive and positive. Who knows, current players and recruits may actually read the chicken little rants and snowflake fits some post here.

Let's win a bowl game and get excited about 2017. If Butch lays another egg, I'll gladly join the Fahr Butch gang!

GBO!

Your setting yourself up for disappointment if you think Tennessee is better nxt year.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, who needs a gazillion touchdowns? What good are you if you are inaccurate on the deep ball?

We don't need Dobbs' touchdowns with Shoopinator's v2 defense. Won't be missed.

Youll see just how good Dobbs made the Oline look next year.

QD better have some serious wheels

VN Store

Back