The Art of War

ETSU VOL

In Sun Tzu's Art of War he lists 5 essentials for victory.

1. He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
Here Butch fails almost every time he has a press conference. During the offseason he preaches about embracing expectations. Then during the season states basically that championships other than going 1-0 or Life Champions are not his thing.

He then berates members of the press for asking questions and then gives the appearance of evading the press after his worse loss.

For my last point he attempts a crazy field goal with a kicker not known for his ability to make long field goals and lets not mention going to the chart to decide to go for the extra point or 2 point conversion.

2. He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.

Under Butch we consistently play down to our competition. This is what drives me insane. To me these games are tune up games. Work out the kinks against a overwhelmed but live opponent. When our backups do get to enter the game its turn and hand off.

Ability to handle a superior opponent. See this years Bama game, enough said.

3. He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.

This seemed to be a strong point in the first few years under Butch. Yet for some reason this year we have players quitting mid-season or getting dismissed. Then the ball security issues and penalties. The most alarming part is how he shuffles personnel on the o-line and the defensive back field so much. I know the o-line was to help in-case of injuries but a jack of all trades is master of none.

My biggest disappointment goes back to last year. Butch lacks that killer instinct to finish his opponents off. How many games have seen him blow a double digit lead? How many times have we let an inferior opponent hang around because we go vanilla with play calling? I am not asking for him to be arrogant off the field but come game day he needs to coach like the other team burned his book of coaching cliches.

4. He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

Our play calling rarely attempts to take opponents off guard on a consistent basis and this was our downfall against Vanderbilt. Their DB's were lining up 5 yards minimum off of our WRs. All we did most of the night was throw five yard hitch routes. Then when the defense adjusted to this would should of made them pay for their adjustment. To quote the Hunger Games It's moves and counter-moves.

5 He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Against Vanderbilt, South Carolina, TAMU, and especially App State Butch had the military capacity to achieve victory. Yet only one of those games did he do so and that was by a player recovering a fumble in the end zone in OT.

Reactions: 12 people
The point is that when you compare CBJ, his on and off the field results to time tested essentials for victory he doesn't add up? Did you read the post???

Essentials for victory in what? I'm almost positive you need to read that book again. It's not talking about football. Lol

Reactions: 6 people
6. He will win the SEC E, when thou doesn't lose to South Carolina and Vandy.
7. He will win the press conference, who learns not to "coach speak" 100% of the time.
8. He will win who, when, instead of talking constantly about eye discipline, angles, leverage, violent hands, and tackling fundamentals, that thou actually figures out how to teach improvement as the season goes along, not regressing.
9. He will win, who doesn't run the ball two times up the middle and pass the ball 3 yards on 3rd and 7.
10. He will win, who kicks player off the team who is a cancer, in lieu of letting it fester, causing lack of team chemistry and unity.

Reactions: 7 people
Our administration needs to read the art of the deal before they botch another hire

Reactions: 4 people
Media is also following Sun Tzu advice...If opponent is of choleric temperament, irritate him.

I like the effort OP, but you should know this was Spurrier's schtick in the 90's. Visor-boy used to require his staff read it.

Butch needs to worry about the maxims.

Reactions: 3 people
You should have called this post War and Peace, due to it's length.

Clearly you must have never actually seen a copy of War and Peace.

That wasn't that long of post and had a point.

I don't equate football to war but strategically they can be similar. The goal is to gain ground and not get flanked-- i.e. seal the edge and protect the secondary.

Reactions: 4 people
Essentials for victory in what? I'm almost positive you need to read that book again. It's not talking about football. Lol

We know it doesn't talk about football or business, but being a nonlinear thinker, you can apply it to your life for success.

Regardless of your endeavor.

Reactions: 3 people
Dooley must not have read Sun Tzu's book. He's still looking for Rommel.

derek-dooley-dons-german-binoculars.485-650.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
In Sun Tzu's Art of War he lists 5 essentials for victory.

1. He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
Here Butch fails almost every time he has a press conference. During the offseason he preaches about embracing expectations. Then during the season states basically that championships other than going 1-0 or Life Champions are not his thing.

He then berates members of the press for asking questions and then gives the appearance of evading the press after his worse loss.

For my last point he attempts a crazy field goal with a kicker not known for his ability to make long field goals and lets not mention going to the chart to decide to go for the extra point or 2 point conversion.

2. He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.

Under Butch we consistently play down to our competition. This is what drives me insane. To me these games are tune up games. Work out the kinks against a overwhelmed but live opponent. When our backups do get to enter the game its turn and hand off.

Ability to handle a superior opponent. See this years Bama game, enough said.

3. He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.

This seemed to be a strong point in the first few years under Butch. Yet for some reason this year we have players quitting mid-season or getting dismissed. Then the ball security issues and penalties. The most alarming part is how he shuffles personnel on the o-line and the defensive back field so much. I know the o-line was to help in-case of injuries but a jack of all trades is master of none.

My biggest disappointment goes back to last year. Butch lacks that killer instinct to finish his opponents off. How many games have seen him blow a double digit lead? How many times have we let an inferior opponent hang around because we go vanilla with play calling? I am not asking for him to be arrogant off the field but come game day he needs to coach like the other team burned his book of coaching cliches.

4. He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.

Our play calling rarely attempts to take opponents off guard on a consistent basis and this was our downfall against Vanderbilt. Their DB's were lining up 5 yards minimum off of our WRs. All we did most of the night was throw five yard hitch routes. Then when the defense adjusted to this would should of made them pay for their adjustment. To quote the Hunger Games It's moves and counter-moves.

5 He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Against Vanderbilt, South Carolina, TAMU, and especially App State Butch had the military capacity to achieve victory. Yet only one of those games did he do so and that was by a player recovering a fumble in the end zone in OT.

All hail King Ragnar!

VN Store

Back