UPDATED... Athletic Director hot board

ERvolsfan

Stumbled across this link from Austin Price on Twitter with a list of candidates.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/news/athletic-director-hot-board-4

Candidates...

- David Blackburn
- Jon Gilbert
- Rob Mullens
- Greg Byrne
- Bubba Cunningham

Me personally I hope we go get Blackburn, however I don't mind Rob Mullens or Greg Byrne. I would love to see Charles Davis get an interview.

Reactions: 1 person
Stumbled across this link from Austin Price on Twitter with a list of candidates.

Candidates...

- David Blackburn
- Jon Gilbert
- Rob Mullens
- Greg Byrne
- Bubba Cunningham

Me personally I hope we go get Blackburn, however I don't mind Rob Mullens or Greg Byrne. I would love to see Charles Davis get an interview.

I think that is the start. Look for more names in the next 48 hours or so

I just want someone who knows you have to spend money to make money. Blackburn would be great. Don't like Gilbert. Barnes loves Gilbert, but of course he does, Gilbert hired him and would give him a longer leash. Just give me someone who is gonna come in here and when necessary do the right thing and keep up the winning tradition.

Reactions: 4 people
I am completely unfamiliar with ADs so you who are, if you would, could you give what schools these potential ADs have been at and your perective on them? Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people
Everyone had Blackburn as the man that best fits us. Will he end up not being our guy?

I am completely unfamiliar with ADs so you who are, if you would, could you give what schools these potential ADs have been at and your perective on them? Thanks.

David Blackburn:

Began his career at Tennessee in 1993 working with football coach Phillip Fulmer and the football program.

A native of Loudon, Tenn., Blackburn graduated from the University of Tennessee.

Is the Vice Chancellor & Director of Athletics at UTC.

Rob Mullens:
University of Oregon's AD
Some have called is time there as "Decade of the Duck"

Greg Byrne:
Vice President for Athletics at the University of Arizona.
Career has AD unless noted:
1994–1995 Fiesta Bowl
1995–1998 Oregon (fundraising)
1998–2002 Oregon State (assoc)
2002–2005 Kentucky (assoc)
2006–2008 Mississippi State (assoc)
2008–2010 Mississippi State
2010–present Arizona

Bubba Cunningham:
Athletic Director for UNC
Born in Flint, Mich., and raised in Naples, Fla.

Just some quick info on some of them.

Reactions: 5 people

Candidates...

- David Blackburn
- Jon Gilbert
- Rob Mullens
- Greg Byrne
- Bubba Cunningham

Charles Davis said repeatedly at the time of Hart's announcement that he had no desire to leave broadcasting for any position, but would be happy to serve on a search committee for the AD hire if asked.

Oregon has had a solid football and basketball program for a while, so I think it would be terrific if UT decides to hire Mullen.

Oregon has had a solid football and basketball program for a while, so I think it would be terrific if UT decides to hire Mullen.

Oregon football doesn't seem so solid now, and the Nike founder didn't graduate from UT, so that one sounds pretty iffy. Forget him.

Cunningham at UNC sounds like Flint had a water problem a lot longer than anyone thought, and his name is linked to UNC. He's also agreed to be AD at FL, and then decided against that. Forget him.

Everyone had Blackburn as the man that best fits us. Will he end up not being our guy?

He would be the best guy for the job however I've watched the administration screw up hires over and over again on the hill. Im not holding my breathe, they'll probably give it to that clown Gilbert because hes there.

I've known David Blackburn personally for years now. Great man. He should be the obvious choice. He's done his time and he's earned this job.

Reactions: 6 people

Candidates...

- David Blackburn
- Jon Gilbert
- Rob Mullens
- Greg Byrne
- Bubba Cunningham

I don’t see any females on the list. This is for those who think the new Chancellor was hired because of her sex.

I don’t see any females on the list. This is for those who think the new Chancellor was hired because of her sex.

I believe it was a factor. Do I care? Absolutely not. She seems extremely qualified. However you're naive if you think, given the mess the University went through regarding the Title IX lawsuit, that hiring a woman for the Chancellor position wasn't a calculated move.

As for the list of candidates, I do hope it's Blackburn. He seems like the most obvious choice. He completely resurrected Chattanooga's athletic program from the dead.

Reactions: 3 people
Oregon football doesn't seem so solid now, and the Nike founder didn't graduate from UT, so that one sounds pretty iffy. Forget him.

Cunningham at UNC sounds like Flint had a water problem a lot longer than anyone thought, and his name is linked to UNC. He's also agreed to be AD at FL, and then decided against that. Forget him.

I don't think I'd go that rough on Mullens, yet.

In football, I don't blame him a bit for hiring Helfrich in that situation and given how their football program had ascended. As for Phil Knight, that's true, but I would be interested into checking into what, if any, beneficial connections he had with Nike if he were to get the job.

When you've got a native Tennessean, who is UT grad, assuming highly qualified, hard to go against that. There is power in having Tenn Orange family at leadership position. Tired of hiring someone else's supposed "rock star". Can argue UT most successful when we get one of our own. Not that Hart was bad, but coincidence or not, our disfuctional sports have been on the watch of last two non-UT guys. A non-UT guy gives fan base just something else to gripe about, which creates more negative energy. Why would we interview UNC guy w/ NCAA baggage? Don't know what AZ has done of special note, and Oregon slipping.

Neyland
Barnhill
Neyland
Wyatt
Woodruff
Dickey
Hamilton
Hart

Reactions: 4 people
He would be the best guy for the job however I've watched the administration screw up hires over and over again on the hill. Im not holding my breathe, they'll probably give it to that clown Gilbert because hes there.

If it's Gilbert, I may think Tennessee is just trolling us.

If we let our existing coaches choose their boss, we should probably just go ahead and burn the place down.

I've known David Blackburn personally for years now. Great man. He should be the obvious choice. He's done his time and he's earned this job.

Well..... since you've "known him for years" y'all should be good friends by now and on a different level than anyone else on this board, soooo use that and call him up and get the "inside" scoop for us. Don't leave us hanging when ya can get the good stuff.

VN Store

Back