Pass-Blocking efficiency in the SEC

Fingers

Not hard to see where most of Tennessee's offensive woes originiate.
PFF College Football:

Top pass-blocking efficiency in the SEC
1. Alabama
2. Missouri
3. Georgia
--
14. Tennessee

CvQRq1LWgAYyfQx.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
via CFB Film Room

Dobbs is at 57.1% when not being pressured. Not great. Avg for a QB on a competitive Power 5 team is ~67%

Freshman LT Drew Richmond (playing mostly off bench) has allowed just 2 pressures in 60 snaps

Joshua Dobbs on passes 15+ yds downfield in SEC play: 10-24 (41.7%), 4 TD, 5 Int

Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs has been pressured on 40% of his dropbacks in SEC play this season. For comparison, Alabama's Jalen Hurts is at 27%

Tennessee QB Joshua Dobbs attempted 7 passes at 10+ yds downfield versus Alabama. 5 of them came while facing pressure.

When lined up at LT, Brett Kendrick has allowed 10 QB pressures (in 166 pass pro snaps) for Tennessee

Reactions: 6 people
Injuries and lack of recruiting. Dobbs sure covers up for some of the defeciencies. Hopefully now that the schedule evens out, the play on the Oline will improve.

57.1%. Gross. Yes it begins in the trenches but my God that's awful. Would love to see how drops fit in to the equation. There have been some awful throws but quite a few drops, as well.

Reactions: 1 person
After 4 seasons, our OL play is still horrific. Someone needs to be held accountable ASAP. Has to be at least 1 change to the staff this off season.

Reactions: 6 people
The comparison of Richmond and Kendrick is really surprising to me. I thought that Richmond kinda struggled at LT

Reactions: 5 people
57.1%. Gross. Yes it begins in the trenches but my God that's awful. Would love to see how drops fit in to the equation. There have been some awful throws but quite a few drops, as well.

Drops this year have been worse than any season I can recall. A handful here and there are expected, no ones perfect, and drops are part of the game. But this year has been bad so far.

Reactions: 2 people
Drops this year have been worse than any season I can recall. A handful here and there are expected, no ones perfect, and drops are part of the game. But this year has been bad so far.

Yeah, I completely agree. With that being said, Dobbs still has been very inaccurate.

Reactions: 2 people
This ranking just shows how fortunate we are to have Josh Dobbs. 99 out of 100 college QB's under this type of pressure would be of no use to his team. Josh this is one fan that is thankful to call you a VFL.

Reactions: 13 people
After 4 seasons, our OL play is still horrific. Someone needs to be held accountable ASAP. Has to be at least 1 change to the staff this off season.

We've recruited a bunch of scrubs on the Oline, and the few that aren't are not being developed.

Reactions: 1 person
Even when not under pressure when you face as much regular pressure as Dobbs does you are not gonna be as accurate because your head is on a swivel. People do not think much about that.

You can't just look at numbers and stats raw without context. I have seen Dobbs a few times get rid of the ball too fast without setting his feet because he was expecting pressure. It has also been noticed by announcers a few times during games. The mental pressure of playing behind that line has to be brutal. The fact he hasn't totally lost composure on those guys on the sidelines is amazing to me. I honestly think this years woes on the line are mostly injury/cohesiveness related as opposed to lack talent. Guys that are proven good players are not playing as well because of various dings.

Reactions: 4 people
The most embarrassing thing is that Dobbs is mobile. Imagine if we had Dormady back there. We would have double the sacks allowed. Absolutely unacceptable.

Thanks Fingers, always bringing a voice of reason to the board. Trust me, my ignore list is very very long. This is a very inresting take and the info is super. Thank you sir for taking the time! You are a true vol fan sir! Hats off!!!!:good!:

Yeah, I completely agree. With that being said, Dobbs still has been very inaccurate.

I actually think he's been much more accurate this year. He's had some bad throws for sure but really, all qbs do. He's completing 58.5% of his passes which is a poor number. But honestly, he's probably had 20-25 balls dropped. If you add in just say 15 of those back to his completion numbers, he's quickly at 65.7%.

Of course, that's not how it works and other QBs who ARE already completing 65.7% have dropped passes counted against their numbers as well.....so perhaps those guys could be completing 72%+ of a few drops had been completed. Just saying that Dobbs is throwing the ball pretty well this year.

VN Store

Back