Tommy Thigpen: Daniel Bituli to see 20-25 snaps at South Carolina, compares freshman

weallvol

Although Tennessee expects star linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. to return to action at South Carolina, the Volunteers are still preparing freshman middle linebacker Daniel Bituli to see significant snaps against the Gamecocks.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Nashville native has recorded just four tackles on the season, but Bituli has impressed coaches with development, earning the opportunity to see more playing time.

“Our saying is you get what you deserve, and he deserves to be on the field,” linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen said.

“We’re looking to play him more at the MIKE, probably 20-25 snaps against South Carolina.”

Bituli worked his way into multiple special teams roles, also seeing a few snaps in Tennessee’s sub-packages at the goal line. Now the freshman is primed for more. The Volunteers are exploring all options at linebacker after allowing 972 rushing yards the last three weeks.

Thigpen called Bituli “the future” at middle linebacker for the Volunteers, comparing him to an All-SEC ‘backer from rival Florida.

“He’s big and strong. If you watch him, he looks like the kid Jarrad Davis at Florida,” Thigpen explained.

“Same body type. Long arms, and is very, very strong for a young guy. He runs well. I look at him as the future at the MIKE position for us. He takes a lot of pride in what he does. He embraces whatever role he’s given.”...

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...s-freshman-to-all-sec-linebacker-jarrad-davis

Reactions: 15 people
Love hearing this. I see the Jarrad Davis comparison as well. Bituli might be even more athletic.

With JRM out for the year, I want to see DKjr as the OLB and Bituli as the MLB.

That would give us the most athletic pair of LBs in the SEC.

Reactions: 5 people
Love hearing this. I see the Jarrad Davis comparison as well. Bituli might be even more athletic.

With JRM out for the year, I want to see DKjr as the OLB and Bituli as the MLB.

That would give us the most athletic pair of LBs in the SEC.

It would be a lot better than what we've had the past 5 weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
Although Tennessee expects star linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. to return to action at South Carolina, the Volunteers are still preparing freshman middle linebacker Daniel Bituli to see significant snaps against the Gamecocks.

The 6-foot-3, 235-pound Nashville native has recorded just four tackles on the season, but Bituli has impressed coaches with development, earning the opportunity to see more playing time.

“Our saying is you get what you deserve, and he deserves to be on the field,” linebackers coach Tommy Thigpen said.

“We’re looking to play him more at the MIKE, probably 20-25 snaps against South Carolina.”

Bituli worked his way into multiple special teams roles, also seeing a few snaps in Tennessee’s sub-packages at the goal line. Now the freshman is primed for more. The Volunteers are exploring all options at linebacker after allowing 972 rushing yards the last three weeks.

Thigpen called Bituli “the future” at middle linebacker for the Volunteers, comparing him to an All-SEC ‘backer from rival Florida.

“He’s big and strong. If you watch him, he looks like the kid Jarrad Davis at Florida,” Thigpen explained.

“Same body type. Long arms, and is very, very strong for a young guy. He runs well. I look at him as the future at the MIKE position for us. He takes a lot of pride in what he does. He embraces whatever role he’s given.”...

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...s-freshman-to-all-sec-linebacker-jarrad-davis

So if Bituli plays MLB would he set the defense or would Kirkland still do that from OLB?

nice to figure this out after aTm and Bama.

Well, too bad several posters here aren't on the coaching staff. Everything would be figured out, nobody would be hurt, we would have beaten everyone by an average of 38 points, every senior and several juniors would be drafted in the first round, and we would start decorating now for the national championship party.

Wonder why nobody ever sees their coaching resumes?

Reactions: 30 people
So we're looking at some combination of Kirkland, Jumper, Bituli, McDowell and El. Berry for LBs.

Good for now, great for the future.

Reactions: 7 people
I don't understand why he wasn't in against Alabubba after the outcome was clear.

Perhaps he has taken a big step this week. Bye week practice is a great time to focus on evaluating back-up players and seeing how well they have learned so far. You are not preparing for a Saturday opponent.

I would not have thrown him into that situation if I wasn't sure he knew his assignments. That is the difference between him being ready and being prepared. If he isn't, you just kill his confidence. And we have plenty of LBs who have been here learning the defense, so it's not necessary yet. JMO.

He is very athletic. I was wondering if he was going to get to play. Especially after that black hole we've had at the LB position after the injuries. Hope he picks it up quick.

He is very athletic. I was wondering if he was going to get to play. Especially after that black hole we've had at the LB position after the injuries. Hope he picks it up quick.
DK ended up starting as a frosh, Bituli can as well.

Reactions: 2 people
So if Bituli plays MLB would he set the defense or would Kirkland still do that from OLB?

The coaches have talked a lot lately about having two MLB's on the field at the same time in their 4-2-5 scheme; Kirkland and Jumper,or Kirkland and Bituli or Jumper and Bituli, so I would guess that Kirkland or Jumper would be setting the defense. No way Bituli is the QB of the defense at this point.

Last edited:
I would have guessed they would play 3 LBs on running downs. Hasn't happened, so I am afraid of guessing. I just hope the coaches aren't doing that.

Maybe if we would have had our two starting LB's then maybe we would have seen a third LB on running downs, but then again scheme and tempo has a lot to do with that, I would think.

Total BS. Tons of LB's have speed and athleticism, Kirkland has legitimate intelligence and a photographic memory. Perfect college and NFL MLB.

Honestly with the way we use our WLB and MLB when we're in nickel their jobs aren't all that different.

Maybe if we would have had our two starting LB's then maybe we would have seen a third LB on running downs, but then again scheme and tempo has a lot to do with that, I would think.

If JRM and DKjr had been healthy, I think we would have played more 4-3 against Bama. IMO, Shoop thought Gaulden would be better in run support than any of our other linebackers. They may have just wanted to coach up and prepare Bituli for the home stretch.

If JRM and DKjr had been healthy, I think we would have played more 4-3 against Bama. IMO, Shoop thought Gaulden would be better in run support than any of our other linebackers. They may have just wanted to coach up and prepare Bituli for the home stretch.

Last year they gave Kirkland similar treatment. I personally think in these current times freshman are more college ready on average. But i think it's...practical how our coaches handle freshman from a long term development standpoint.

Gaulden is the best open field tacklet on the team. Most physical pound for pound... but his responsibility is a wr if there is a 3rd one.

But when it comes to run fits, you want size there to negate blockers.
It increases the chance for gang tackling for minimal gains.

Bama and A&M ran power spread with QB power runs. Man on man football. And our safeties have been ... not very good at diagnosing the play progression.

Plus Jumper gets caught up in lineman sometimes. and leaves holes. Where's a guy like Kirkland or Maybin will shoot the gap and bust up the timing if not make the tackle.
But Jumper is a man. 400 snaps played. He's been an anchor. Now he's going to some help.
Berry showed somethings.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back