Incoming ad in regards to some coaches

rockymountainvol

SIAP, I just have a few questions and want to gauge the pulse of Volnation on these topics.

1. Is it the majority opinion of this site that Blackburn is the new incumbent AD, or is there a chance that someone like Fulmer, Charles Davis or anybody else will be named?

2. Realistically which coaches do you believe will be ushered out with the new incoming AD? Holly? Dave Serrano? Butch? I am sure the Weekly's are safe regardless of the AD hire.

Please don't blast me. I missed out on any previous conversation regarding this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Capitalization is your friend.

I arrived in this thread wondering what ad (advertisement) you'd seen. I was a little confused until I realized a third of the way through your post that you meant AD (athletic director).

ee cummings aside, there is in fact a reason for the rules of our language...what we call grammar. :)

On topic: idk.

Reactions: 5 people
Well I just hope the next AD isn't cheap like our other ADs have been. You get what you pay for.

Capitalization is your friend.

I arrived in this thread wondering what ad (advertisement) you'd seen. I was a little confused until I realized a third of the way through your post that you meant AD (athletic director).

ee cummings aside, there is in fact a reason for the rules of our language...what we call grammar. :)

On topic: idk.

I did use capitalization. Posted wrong for some reason

Reactions: 6 people
Joan Cronan was Director of Women's Athletics at UT for ~1/4 century and took the reigns for all athletics in interim when Hurricane Hamilton was "retired." Likely, she'd be the AD now, if she hadn't declined consideration for the permanent position. She's unimpeachable and set a very high bar for any AD anywhere.

Reactions: 9 people
So why do you all think a new AD would go on a firing spree? Seems counterproductive unless the team in question is losing and/or not competitive.

Reactions: 1 person
So why do you all think a new AD would go on a firing spree? Seems counterproductive unless the team in question is losing and/or not competitive.

I would think that the new athletic director would eventually want his/her own people in place. I don't think anybody goes in year 1 or even year 2, but I would believe one or two current coaches would be on relatively short leashes.

Most ADs want there own people running there programs . IMO only see one possibly getting fired this year . Holly has underachieved ever since she has been here

Its Blackburn.

And of the other question you asked, if I had to answer it would be Serrano.

If anyone thinks Butch or Holly should or would be shown the door, they need to have themselves checked..

For stupidity infection.

Reactions: 3 people
I would be surprised if it wasn't Blackburn.

If anyone goes I would think Diamond Dave....but it would be based on performance. I like the guy and hope he gets it done this season.

Joan Cronan was Director of Women's Athletics at UT for ~1/4 century and took the reigns for all athletics in interim when Hurricane Hamilton was "retired." Likely, she'd be the AD now, if she hadn't declined consideration for the permanent position. She's unimpeachable and set a very high bar for any AD anywhere.

She is epic.

SIAP, I just have a few questions and want to gauge the pulse of Volnation on these topics.

1. Is it the majority opinion of this site that Blackburn is the new incumbent AD, or is there a chance that someone like Fulmer, Charles Davis or anybody else will be named?

2. Realistically which coaches do you believe will be ushered out with the new incoming AD? Holly? Dave Serrano? Butch? I am sure the Weekly's are safe regardless of the AD hire.

Please don't blast me. I missed out on any previous conversation regarding this topic.

1. Blackburn is the frontrunner, although some donors that are/were high on Dave Hart are pushing his top deputy, Jon Gilbert.

Fulmer is not interested in the job on a permanent basis. If Hart steps aside at the end of football season, Fulmer would be wiling to be the interim AD until a permanent hire is made.

Charles Davis is not interested in leaving his television gigs but is will to assist in the search process if that becomes necessary.

2. There are a few programs on campus that the new AD will have to evaluate soon. Baseball is the most prominent, with Serrano having been unable, to this point, to dig the program out of the deep, deep hole Todd Raleigh put it in.

The women's soccer, men's golf and women's tennis programs have all struggled in recent years and have coaches in the final year of their contracts.

Reactions: 5 people
I would be surprised if it wasn't Blackburn.

If anyone goes I would think Diamond Dave....but it would be based on performance. I like the guy and hope he gets it done this season.

The problem is finding someone better for the job.

Cronan was one of the best AD's in the history of college sports. If she said anything on the topic, I'd listen.

1. No Fulmer
2. Just hire someone who can actually unite the big money guys and isn't automatically concinced he's the smartest person in the room.

1. No Fulmer
2. Just hire someone who can actually unite the big money guys and isn't automatically concinced he's the smartest person in the room.

There would be more big money had Haslam not bought that white elephant known as the Cleveland Browns

I got to meet her😬

As far as Fulmer goes, I thought I read something that said him getting some sort of cushy job in the AD like Spurrier has at UF could be in the books.

But he's not gonna be the AD.

Nobody has mentioned it, and nobody seems to care (maybe that's why he still has a job) but the volleyball coach NEEDS to go. That program has seen more transfers than any program should. Players hate him and I have first hand knowledge.

1. I would be surprised if it isn't Blackburn, pleased if it is Davis, and shocked if it is Fulmer.

2. I doubt anyone will be fired on Day 1. Serrano is on notice if anyone is. Barnes would probably retire if things get bad. Jones is safe for at least two years. Holly? I would think her seat will start to get hot if the program keeps reaching new lows. But if that does happen and she is retained, plenty are going to wonder who's dirty secrets she knows.

Of the less followed programs, Volleyball might his first change. Enough players have transferred out to be very noticeable over the past couple of years. Don't know him, but if it turns out he is perceived as a jerk to his players, it's a waste of money to keep him around.

Barnes wasnt cheap and many question his dedication -- they might also want to invest in a real S/C coach

Who are the many who question Barnes dedication? A donor? A member of the board? Or some barber from Clinton? Or you and three of your friends? How many are imaginary? When you claim many question? That is kind of vague, Mikey.

A S/C coach is not the concern of the AD. He hires head coaches, and they each choose their assistants. Only time the AD might stick his nose in on that is if the assistant publicly embarrasses the University.

Last edited:
Nobody has mentioned it, and nobody seems to care (maybe that's why he still has a job) but the volleyball coach NEEDS to go. That program has seen more transfers than any program should. Players hate him and I have first hand knowledge.

So, about that difficulty I have had giving him the benefit of the doubt? You are saying I am on the right track? Got ya!

You might as well elaborate more. You never know maybe more eyes will look that way.

VN Store

Back