Better next year??

I'm tired of "getting better." I'm ready to win and keep winning. I miss the days of expecting to be SEC champions instead of hoping.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 5 people
No question we'll take a step back. Could be a big one.

How can we take a huge step back next year? All our backups and even our third string is getting lots of playing time. We are already playing without most of the guys we'll be losing next year. QB play and RB might be the biggest difference.

Reactions: 10 people
i think you could make a case for it. it still depends on how much better we can get on the O line and if we can maintain D line play. we'll miss Barnett immensely, and my only fear is that w/out him out there, it makes some of the other guys look like, well, just other guys.

Reactions: 3 people
How can we take a huge step back next year? All our backups and even our third string is getting lots of playing time. We are already playing without most of the guys we'll be losing next year. QB play and RB might be the biggest difference.

New QB, new RBs, losing several veterans and key contributors on defense (Sutton, Reeves-Maybin, Barnett, Vereen).

By step back, I mean something like 7 wins.

i think you could make a case for it. it still depends on how much better we can get on the O line and if we can maintain D line play. we'll miss Barnett immensely, and my only fear is that w/out him out there, it makes some of the other guys look like, well, just other guys.
It wouldn't be as bad if Vereen was staying but yea having to replace both ends wont be fun.

Why are we assuming JG will be QB?

The OL should be better, should. I don't think we're losing any of them.

and i think a better comparison is actually a bit further back. i think this team, and this core group over the last 3 years, really remind me more of those Andy Kelly led Vols than the late 90's vols'.

i think there's still a good oppportunity for this group to still be remembered as the group that really laid the foundation for "better things to come".

now, we still need to see some recruiting and depth building go on....but anyway, that's what this group feels like, more so than the groups that were part of the 95-97 vols.

Reactions: 5 people
Why are we assuming JG will be QB?

The OL should be better, should. I don't think we're losing any of them.

An improved offensive line would really help offset the growing pains we are going to experience at other positions, QB and RB chief among them.

Our front seven is going to be an area of concern next year. The interior of the defensive line should be fine with Tuttle and McKenzie anchoring it, but we are having to replace 2 good/great defensive ends and a senior tackling machine at LB.

Unless Kongbo emerges as a force, we are going to have a hard time generating a pass rush next year. I don't want to be hard on him because he's basically a freshman and still learning the game, but he's been absolutely invisible this year and I did expect more than that.

Reactions: 1 person
New QB, new RBs, losing several veterans and key contributors on defense (Sutton, Reeves-Maybin, Barnett, Vereen).

By step back, I mean something like 7 wins.

Already playing without Sutton and JRM, so not like they are key contributors to the record this year.

Also, JK looks to be potentially explosive at RB and our QB could be better as well.

When I look at what we are losing as key contributors this year, I see Barnett, Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs. Those are our Key Contributors we lose for next year. We do lose Sutton and JRM, but they are not contributing right now, and have been out most all the season, so their loss is already being felt.

That being said, in order for us to improve next year, or at least stay in the 9-11 win range, our OL must get better play and open holes/protect QB. D front 7 also needs to improve in run defense.

Reactions: 2 people
Already playing without Sutton and JRM, so not like they are key contributors to the record this year.

Also, JK looks to be potentially explosive at RB and our QB could be better as well.

When I look at what we are losing as key contributors this year, I see Barnett, Hurd, Kamara and Dobbs. Those are our Key Contributors we lose for next year. We do lose Sutton and JRM, but they are not contributing right now, and have been out most all the season, so their loss is already being felt.

That being said, in order for us to improve next year, or at least stay in the 9-11 win range, our OL must get better play and open holes/protect QB. D front 7 also needs to improve in run defense.

Ok - well imagine how bad our defense would be this year without Barnett and Vereen...because that's what it is going to be next year.

We still have a bunch of games left to play. Plus with the way our offseason attrition seems to always go, who knows who actually comes back next year. Regardless, unlike some, I'll still be wearing my orange and pulling for them. GBO!

Kelly is the only RB anyone has mentioned -- who are the other RBs that will be counted on ?

No question we'll take a step back. Could be a big one.

Sight your reasons?
Nearly the same OL that will be iimproved (esp the backups!)
Possibly a better passing QB, so that won't be a hinderance, and some decent backs and virtually rthe same WRs.
On defense yeah you lose stud players, but a still very good DL and Kirkland and Jumper back and most of the secondary.
This team is losing several KEY players but not the house.

Reactions: 2 people
I think this team will go through a "mini rebuild" next year. I think we lose a lot of talent and slip a bit. However, outside of the away gameso to Bama and Florida, our schedule will be very favorable and we still may end up losing only 2 games unless we slip up against Georgia Tech.

VN Store

Back