An Honest Evaluation of Mike DeBord

DiderotsGhost

With the dismal offensive performance versus Alabama, there's been a lot of talk about Mike DeBord and the offensive staff. Note that I gave DeBord an "F" for his performance in that game, as well. Nevertheless, if we're going to talk about DeBord, I think we have to look at the entire picture. So here's an attempt to honestly evaluate DeBord this year.

First, let's start with game-by-game analysis.

App State: D. Our offense looked dreadful in the App State game. We played entirely too conservative, refused to open up the playbook, and it nearly cost us. There are perhaps some mitigating factors here. In terms of talent, we were worlds ahead of App State and perhaps DeBord wanted to stay conservative, "avoid the big mistake", and try to allow our superior talent to win. That said, it was clear from the get-go that App State's run defense was very strong and its pass defense was very weak and we completely failed to exploit this discrepancy, instead playing into their strengths the entire game.

Virginia Tech: B-. Offense improved in the VT game, but was still far from spectacular. Ultimately, it was great defense that turned that game around, but our offense effectively capitalized on VT's mistakes. Regardless, it's difficult to deny that we were completely in charge of that game by the 4th Quarter and VT was struggling to stop us. We showed much improvement in that game.

Ohio: C+. We regressed a bit in the Ohio game, but it wasn't an outright disaster by any means. Our numbers on offense look much better than the scoreboard might indicate: 201 yards rushing on 42 attempts. 203 yards passing, with Dobbs 19-27. Hurd and Kamara both had good performances, but the offensive game plan once again felt uninspired.

Florida: A. Give DeBord credit. For two years straight, he has absolutely destroyed Florida's much hyped defense. We ended up scoring 38 points on Florida, but the total could have easily been 50+ points if not for mistakes in the 1st Half (dropped passes, Dobbs interception, penalties). DeBord was an absolutely inspired with his gameplan.

Georgia: B. Georgia played its best game of the season, but our offense won the game for us. Not as perfect as the Florida game, but Dobbs had another great passing performance and we racked up some running yards. I felt like our D struggled more than the offense in this game.

Texas A&M: A.
Once again, not perfect, but the offense looked inspired in a come-from-behind effort that nearly resulted in a "W". Difficult to complain about offense, though, in a game where Josh Dobbs passed for over 400 yards and we racked up 282 yards rushing without our leading rusher, Jalen Hurd. This was truly one of the DeBord's best games at UT.

Alabama: F. As brilliant as DeBord was versus Florida and A&M, he was terrible against Alabama. It's true that O-line injuries made life more difficult on our offense, but it just felt like DeBord had an ultra-conservative gameplan that relied exclusively on short passes and runs-up-the-middle. Alabama responded by playing all 11 defenders up close. DeBord failed to adjust to this and never really found a way to get runs to the outside or get Dobbs on some deep passes. You can't beat a team as good as Bama by playing vanilla.

Overall Synopsis

Overall, I have mixed views on DeBord.

DeBord has been good, but not great. He's been brilliant at times and lackluster at others. Certainly this isn't like the consistent offensive struggles we had in the mid 00's nor is it anything like the major struggles we had with Sal Sunseri on defense.

When DeBord comes up with a great gameplan, it seems like we can compete with anyone. When DeBord fails on this, however, it seems like he's unable to adjust to the opposing defense. That was particularly evident versus App State and Alabama, where it never felt like DeBord realized that the original gameplan wasn't working.

I'm not in the "Fire DeBord" camp as he's been good overall, but I admit I wouldn't be averse to replacing him if we could lure an innovative top-tier OC.

In any case, let's hope we can see improvement after the bye week.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 12 people
Against Bama...he knew the mixed and matched offensive line couldn't PROTECT Dobbs long enough for the receivers to get into their deep routes. It's that simple!

Reactions: 9 people
No one is better at saying "yes sir Coach Jones, whatever you want. "

Debord gets all A's across the board.

Reactions: 2 people
DeBord is just so so and that won't win championships. I say keep him if Butch is going to saddle some new OC with this Micky Mouse system he's trying to run. I hate this scheme and it's sideways running attack and lack of downfield passing.

Reactions: 3 people
Against Bama...he knew the mixed and matched offensive line couldn't PROTECT Dobbs long enough for the receivers to get into their deep routes. It's that simple!

With a mixed OL he shouldn't have left Dobbs in the pocket at least roll him out and let him do what he does best. A former player on this board said it was a bad game plan and the players weren't happy about it.

Reactions: 5 people
Please forward your honest coaching resume to the UT AD and I honestly bet you are called thanking you for your donation

Reactions: 1 person
Put Debord on the sidelines like Kiffin --- would love to see Jones deal with that -- Ive seen Saban yelling his head off at Kiffin at times

I'd just throw out Alabama. He doesn't even deserve a grade for that one. Of course we were terribly over matched, but so was our coaching.

With a mixed OL he shouldn't have left Dobbs in the pocket at least roll him out and let him do what he does best. A former player on this board said it was a bad game plan and the players weren't happy about it.

So "let him do what he does best"...run it (and get injured)... In a game that we weren't gonna win no matter what?? Let's just put our starting QB in harms way and throw our season's goals (win the east and go to Atlanta) down the drain? Yeah...that's make a lot more sense!

Reactions: 5 people
Great overall summary. I'm probably in the minority here, but I would give Debord a higher grade for the Ohio game. Some of the lack of offense was simply lack of execution. PWill took a perfect pass off his head that got intercepted and if I remember correctly Dobbs missed Malone on at least 2 wide open deep balls. So I think some of the shortcomings on offense were a lack of player execution on that one.

The inept offense on Saturday is probably more a result of the OL than it is Debord. You can't try downfield passing when Dobbs is getting pressured almost immediately and the more points UT went down the more Bama knew we had to throw. Its virtually impossible to get much going with all those injuries and an OL that basically acted as small speed bumps to Bama's front 7. Also not sure if anyone noticed, but Bama's LBs might be the fastest I have ever seen them. They got to the edge so quickly and destroyed any E-W rushing attack.

Its also interesting to me how many people hate Debord and will not give him the benefit of the doubt regarding injuries, but defensive struggles are blamed on the injuries and Shoop seems to have a total pass. I get that the defense is where we have lost all SEC defenders...but having backup OL players against Bama is a bit of a handcuff to a OC

Reactions: 9 people
My biggest issue with DeBord is lack of consistency.

I agree. Look at the way OP gave the grades. He gave a,b,c,d, and f. Pretty decent assessment in my book. We are The University of Tennessee. We have money. Spend the money and get a coordinator that will bring his A game every week.

Question OP, do you think, given what we have seen this year, and even last year, that any Division 1 school would hire Mike Debord if he were fired today?

Debord should be replaced asap and Butch should push his own ego aside and hire someone who actually knows offense.

Reactions: 1 person
I simply can't give him an F for the hand he wa dealt. 3 freshmen against the best front 7 Saban has ever had and it appears J Jones played hurt. There was little nothing he could do. Alabama's defense know is able to get to the edge faster than they ever have. Down field throwing resulted in like 3 sacks on 2 drives.

I also can't see him deliberately telling Dobbs to throw it 3 yards downfield on 3rd and 10. Dobbs turned his clock on and was going to let it go. I don't blame him either. Minus 30 yards in the @st couple of series.

Maybe Debord just tried to keep from getting more people hurt that already had AND was at the time on offense. Maybe he didn't try, but they not only didn't have a prayer they would win, but trying too hard could have made things worse e.i. Dobbs getting (Hurd already had an injury and Kamara got hurt himself. No sense in killing his team over a lots cause).

Some of you may disagree with me.That's fine. I am more worried about this team being healthy and ready for this all important stretch than I am if UT "tired to win" last week.

Reactions: 4 people
Cant really agree with the Alabama grade. With so many injuries I think the coaches thought go conservative and come out of the game with no injuries and that would be a win for us which didn't happen.

No way was we winning that game or making it close no matter the playcalling.

So "let him do what he does best"...run it (and get injured)... In a game that we weren't gonna win no matter what?? Let's just put our starting QB in harms way and throw our season's goals (win the east and go to Atlanta) down the drain? Yeah...that's make a lot more sense!

So it makes more sense to leave him in the pocket?

With the dismal offensive performance versus Alabama, there's been a lot of talk about Mike DeBord and the offensive staff. Note that I gave DeBord an "F" for his performance in that game, as well. Nevertheless, if we're going to talk about DeBord, I think we have to look at the entire picture. So here's an attempt to honestly evaluate DeBord this year.

First, let's start with game-by-game analysis.

App State: D. Our offense looked dreadful in the App State game. We played entirely too conservative, refused to open up the playbook, and it nearly cost us. There are perhaps some mitigating factors here. In terms of talent, we were worlds ahead of App State and perhaps DeBord wanted to stay conservative, "avoid the big mistake", and try to allow our superior talent to win. That said, it was clear from the get-go that App State's run defense was very strong and its pass defense was very weak and we completely failed to exploit this discrepancy, instead playing into their strengths the entire game.

Virginia Tech: B-. Offense improved in the VT game, but was still far from spectacular. Ultimately, it was great defense that turned that game around, but our offense effectively capitalized on VT's mistakes. Regardless, it's difficult to deny that we were completely in charge of that game by the 4th Quarter and VT was struggling to stop us. We showed much improvement in that game.

Ohio: C+. We regressed a bit in the Ohio game, but it wasn't an outright disaster by any means. Our numbers on offense look much better than the scoreboard might indicate: 201 yards rushing on 42 attempts. 203 yards passing, with Dobbs 19-27. Hurd and Kamara both had good performances, but the offensive game plan once again felt uninspired.

Florida: A. Give DeBord credit. For two years straight, he has absolutely destroyed Florida's much hyped defense. We ended up scoring 38 points on Florida, but the total could have easily been 50+ points if not for mistakes in the 1st Half (dropped passes, Dobbs interception, penalties). DeBord was an absolutely inspired with his gameplan.

Georgia: B. Georgia played its best game of the season, but our offense won the game for us. Not as perfect as the Florida game, but Dobbs had another great passing performance and we racked up some running yards. I felt like our D struggled more than the offense in this game.

Texas A&M: A.
Once again, not perfect, but the offense looked inspired in a come-from-behind effort that nearly resulted in a "W". Difficult to complain about offense, though, in a game where Josh Dobbs passed for over 400 yards and we racked up 282 yards rushing without our leading rusher, Jalen Hurd. This was truly one of the DeBord's best games at UT.

Alabama: F. As brilliant as DeBord was versus Florida and A&M, he was terrible against Alabama. It's true that O-line injuries made life more difficult on our offense, but it just felt like DeBord had an ultra-conservative gameplan that relied exclusively on short passes and runs-up-the-middle. Alabama responded by playing all 11 defenders up close. DeBord failed to adjust to this and never really found a way to get runs to the outside or get Dobbs on some deep passes. You can't beat a team as good as Bama by playing vanilla.

Overall Synopsis

Overall, I have mixed views on DeBord.

DeBord has been good, but not great. He's been brilliant at times and lackluster at others. Certainly this isn't like the consistent offensive struggles we had in the mid 00's nor is it anything like the major struggles we had with Sal Sunseri on defense.

When DeBord comes up with a great gameplan, it seems like we can compete with anyone. When DeBord fails on this, however, it seems like he's unable to adjust to the opposing defense. That was particularly evident versus App State and Alabama, where it never felt like DeBord realized that the original gameplan wasn't working.

I'm not in the "Fire DeBord" camp as he's been good overall, but I admit I wouldn't be averse to replacing him if we could lure an innovative top-tier OC.

In any case, let's hope we can see improvement after the bye week.

GO BIG ORANGE!
Well done.

And it was obvious to most anyone watching who wasn't three sheets to the wind. When you have to play backup lineman against the number one team in the country your options are limited. I'd have to give him an Incomplete for the Bama game. He had no chance.

VN Store

Back