Question to those in the "Fire Debord" camp?

Brave Volunteer

Just curious, let's say Coach Jones does fire DeBord at the end of the season. Who exactly could he go out and hire as OC that would run the same style offense and do it any better? I'm not saying I'm for or against getting rid of DeBord. I'd just like to know who we could get that would vastly improve the offense, yet at the same time run the same style of offense (because you know completely overhauling the offense is not an option under CBJ).

Reactions: 1 person
Im in the camp of being opened minded enough that your system needs to be tweeked and adjusted to optimize your bottom line. If the HFC is not open to that hes better to stick with what he has.

Reactions: 5 people
Just curious, let's say Coach Jones does fire DeBord at the end of the season. Who exactly could he go out and hire as OC that would run the same style offense and do it any better? I'm not saying I'm for or against getting rid of DeBord. I'd just like to know who we could get that would vastly improve the offense, yet at the same time run the same style of offense (because you know completely overhauling the offense is not an option under CBJ).

Peyton :)

Reactions: 15 people
First off they are friends. I'm guessing DeBord would just say he is retiring to get pressure off Butch. This topic has been discussed at nauseum. Butch will go get someone who runs zone read. Whether we like the scheme or not that's what would happen.

Don't bring any rational thought in here about Debord Brave.....those who are upset just want him gone come hell or highwater without respect to any of the lucid questions you're asking. There has to be a scapegoat, the most kneejerk college football fan reaction is to "fire the OC, his playcalling is terrible and he sucks"....and that's exactly what's going on here.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm pretty sure Debord isn't an expert on CBJ offensive system anyway. I'm not sure what real value he brings other than experience in general and a friendship with CBJ.

I am not trying to be dismissive or slam anyone but I think there are literally dozens of people who specialize in this offensive style. The question is will they be too assertive for CBJ? I don't think you can have someone with too much personality (a la Kiffin) working under Jones.

Reactions: 4 people
The last game aside, Debord has done a decent job this season. Our offense has been...again, last game aside...very prolific in big SEC games.

It completely suxed against Appy State, but I am willing to write that off to team apathy/looking ahead to Va Tech.

Ohio it was sluggish, but hey, we got 28 points. Va Tech it seems it was better but we were helped tremendously by turnovers.

There have been many instances this year of nice adjustments that got the offense going. Have there been slow starts? Absolutely. But in at least the SEC games (again with the exception of the roll turds), these were largely due to stupid turnovers. I think we gave up 10-14 points to red zone turnovers in each of Tamu, UF, and uga in the first half.

My take on Debord is keep him around for the rebuilding year next year, but be prepared to ease him out the door after that. He's old enough that he can probably retire gracefully at this point

Reactions: 6 people
Im in the camp of being opened minded enough that your system needs to be tweeked and adjusted to optimize your bottom line. If the HFC is not open to that hes better to stick with what he has.

Tweaked means learning curve. Any changes will come with growing pains, and more faux outrage.

seems to me that Debord makes the conservative moves when he has to, injuries, weak opponents etc. He has the ability to open it up as he has done it before.

We are going to be fine and the fire coaches guys appear to just want to rant because they never offer a name for a replacement. Lets go when the last 5 games 10-2, good times ahead.

Reactions: 6 people
The last game aside, Debord has done a decent job this season. Our offense has been...again, last game aside...very prolific in big SEC games.

It completely suxed against Appy State, but I am willing to write that off to team apathy/looking ahead to Va Tech.

Ohio it was sluggish, but hey, we got 28 points. Va Tech it seems it was better but we were helped tremendously by turnovers.

There have been many instances this year of nice adjustments that got the offense going. Have there been slow starts? Absolutely. But in at least the SEC games (again with the exception of the roll turds), these were largely due to stupid turnovers. I think we gave up 10-14 points to red zone turnovers in each of Tamu, UF, and uga in the first half.

My take on Debord is keep him around for the rebuilding year next year, but be prepared to ease him out the door after that. He's old enough that he can probably retire gracefully at this point

Both coaching sides of the ball basically shut it down vs AL in the second half. Debord isn't going to run Dobbs in that situation. When your 3 and 4 deep trying to play them and alot of season left with goals still achievable I have no problem with it.

Reactions: 7 people
seems to me that Debord makes the conservative moves when he has to, injuries, weak opponents etc. He has the ability to open it up as he has done it before.

We are going to be fine and the fire coaches guys appear to just want to rant because they never offer a name for a replacement. Lets go when the last 5 games 10-2, good times ahead.

Good post, said the same thing right under you. I see some people understands what went on last Saturday.

Although I think it would never happen my short list would be:

1)Tony Franklin (OC MTSU) he is heavily involved in the spread and air raid offensives of the past, recently left Cal in a lateral move but had them in the top 15 total offenses throughout his tenure, has SEC experience (admittedly the Auburn tenure is suspect but odd conditions) and is literally right here in Tennessee as we speak
(for the record he was my favorite selection when we hired debord and his offenses made ours look like a high school)

2)Eric Morris (OC Tex Tech):has the number 2 total offense and scoring offenses in the country. Lesser competition but also lesser athletes

3)Kilmer or Padron- (co OC at Bowling Green)- yes I know we beat them but they have inferior talent. They currently have the #6 scoring offense and #8 total offenses in the country.Would be an upward move. explosive offenses, fresh looks and like the region.

these are all more obscure, but that also makes them more affordable

anyone can dream.

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder why everyone thinks its one persons fault? Debord and the whole offensive staff had a plan for this game. I'm sure it didn't include the offensive line breaking down on every play and our back 's being tackled before they could even turn around for a screen pass. We got our ass kicked by bigger stronger and faster team. case closed. maybe if we had all our first team starters we might have had a chance but since their QB was faster than all our DB's I doubt it? any way. y'all continue to blame Debord and forget the 700 plus yards the offence we had the week before. Until Saban retires or quits getting number 1 recruiting classes every year its going to be a ***** to beat Bucking Fama.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Don't bring any rational thought in here about Debord Brave.....those who are upset just want him gone come hell or highwater without respect to any of the lucid questions you're asking. There has to be a scapegoat, the most kneejerk college football fan reaction is to "fire the OC, his playcalling is terrible and he sucks"....and that's exactly what's going on here.

This year, so far Tennessee ranks

80th in total offense
72nd in rushing offense
78th in passing offense

Last year Tennessee was

20th in Rushing offense
92nd in passing offense
52nd in total offense

So you tell me whats wrong?

Reactions: 5 people
Sonny Cumbie. Different offense but what a hire if it happened. He gave Charlie Strong the middle finger so maybe this shade of orange and UT is more to his liking :)

This year, so far Tennessee ranks

80th in total offense
72nd in rushing offense
78th in passing offense

Last year Tennessee was

20th in Rushing offense
92nd in passing offense
52nd in total offense

So you tell me whats wrong?

Offensive line play. People equated experience with being good. Simply not the same thing.

Dobbs has regressed, or at least succumbed to added pressure due to above stated OL.

Wide receivers clearly didn't get enough reps due to the system in place and cannot consistently catch the ball.

Hurd seems to not be a great fit for this system and has suffered accordingly, however he also gets tackled too easily from below the knees.

Reactions: 2 people
I wonder why everyone thinks its one persons fault? Debord and the whole offensive staff had a plan for this game. I'm sure it didn't include the offensive line breaking down on every play and our back 's being tackled before they could even turn around for a screen pass. We got our ass kicked by bigger stronger and faster team. case closed. maybe if we had all our first team starters we might have had a chance but since their QB was faster than all our DB's I doubt it? any way. y'all continue to blame Debord and forget the 700 plus yards the offence we had the week before. Until Saban retires or quits getting number 1 recruiting classes every year its going to be a ***** to beat Bucking Fama.

I think CBJ is trying to fit 10 lbs of sh!t in a 5 lb bag. He clearly doesn't have the talent to run the offense he wants.

However I also feel like Debord must not be allowed to be assertive and creative with working around the weaknesses.

VN Store

Back