Tennessee vs The Maxims vs Alabama

OneManGang

From last week: “Anyone who believed Tennessee would come through this season unscathed is delusional. Is Tennessee better than they were at this time last year? Undoubtedly. Are they ready for championship contention? On the whole, this writer thinks not but the jury is still out.”

The jury deliberated Saturday evening and and the verdict handed down was that, indeed, Our Beloved Vols are not there yet.

But they will be.

In April, 1863, the Union Army of the Potomac began to move with a purpose. The Confederate Army of Northern Virginia was arrayed to protect Richmond and the seat of Southern government but, in so doing, had an open flank to the northwest along the Rapahannock River.

The Bluecoats had already made one attempt on this flank. Back in January, Gen. Ambrose Burnside had tried to raise the morale of the Army of the Potomac after the disaster at Fredricksburg in December. Unfortunately for Burnside, the march opened on 20 January and the skies opened up with torrential downpours that lasted for days. The dirt roads of the time turned into bottomless morasses that swallowed wagons, cannons and horses. After about a week of this, the Army of the Potomac turned back speaking bitterly of the failed “Mud March.”

Burnside was fired and replaced with General Joe Hooker who had garnered some reputation as an aggressive commander and the press nicknamed him "Fighting Joe.” Hooker's eye for the ladies eventually led to his last name being applied to the World's Oldest Profession.

Be that as it may, on 30 April Hooker and his army crossed the Rappahannock in a well-organized operation and began to move against Lee. Hooker sent a series of jaunty messages to President Lincoln during the buildup for this move and his proclamations of impending victory were signed with a flourish from his “Headquarters in the Saddle.” Lincoln dryly remarked that Hooker seemed to have his headquarters where his hindquarters should have been,

Lee had a choice. The conventional wisdom would have him turn part of his army and “refuse” the left flank, digging in and awaiting the Union attack.

Lee did no such thing. He knew the federals did not have the strength to threaten both his flank and Richmond at the same time and so he chose to attack.

This was the last thing Hooker expected. On the morning of 1 May, Lee sent his best commander, Lt. Gen, Thomas J. Jackson, against the Union left flank. Jackson's Corps burst out of the thickets around the small hamlet of Chancellorsville and stopped the Union host cold. Hooker holed up in a farmhouse and tried to get a grip on what was happening. Jackson's men pushed until nightfall when both sides broke off the action. During the night Lee doubled down on his plan. He detached Jackson and ordered him to march his corps around the Union positions and attack the Union right the next day.

It was a hard, grueling march but Jackson's men had earned the title “Foot Cavalry” during the Shenandoah Valley campaign the previous year and showed it.

At 5:30pm on 2 May Jackson's men slammed into the Union IX Corps and put them to fly. Hooker had no answers for anything Lee did.

Unfortunately for the Confederates, as Jackson was making a reconnaissance at nightfall he crossed in front of a North Carolina brigade that had no idea he was there. The Tarheels opened fire and Jackson was hit in the left arm. The wound would claim Jackson's life about a week later. Lee sadly remarked that, “General Jackson may have lost his left arm, but I feel I have lost my right.”

Lees cavalry commander, the legendary Gen, James Ewell Brown Stuart, took over Jackson's corps and continued the assault the next day.

Meanwhile, Lee detached another part of his force to deal with another Union force at Salem's Crossing a few miles away and drove them back as well.

Hooker and the Army of the Potomac went into full retreat and recrossed the Rappahannock. Hooker would be relieved of command in turn and replaced by Gen George Meade whose sour disposition caused his men to refer to him as “that damned old goggle-eyed snapping turtle.”

Two months later, Meade would lead the Army of the Potomac into battle against Lee around another small hamlet …

… named Gettysburg.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]****[/FONT]

Like Gen Hooker, Butch Jones and the Vols had no answers Saturday. The Mighty Integral of college football, the Alabama Crimson Tide executed a near complete destruction of the Boys in Orange.

This writer has maintained for years that an SEC season is a campaign of attrition. Tennessee was without the services of half their starters Saturday and it showed. Alabama can afford to lose multiple starters, Tennessee cannot.

Yet.

So how did the team do compared to the Maxims?

1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.

It wasn't the number of mistakes that doomed the Vols, it was the timing. From Josh Dobbs' interception which was returned for a touchdown, to the bust by the return team that led to another Alabama score, the combination put a dagger in the Vols and they never really recovered.

2. Play for and make the breaks. When one comes your way … SCORE!

Alabama made precious few mistakes and Tennessee's near total lack of an offense combined to make it nearly impossible to do anything. That being said, the Vols did take advantage of a Tide fumble and punch in their sole touchdown of the day.

3. If at first the game – or the breaks – go against you, don’t let up … PUT ON MORE STEAM!

Tennessee never really quit. However by the middle part of the third canto, it was irrelevant.

4. Protect our kickers, our quarterback, our lead and our ballgame.

Having to start an inexperienced red-shirt freshman at right tackle was symptomatic of Tennessee's ills. At one point, this writer wondered if maybe Butch Jones should have simply opted for one of those T-DOT lane-shift flashing signs at tackle and been done with it. Shanking punts and allowing returns for touchdowns didn't help either.

5. Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE.

And indeed it was – for Alabama.

Alright, this needs to be said. One simply cannot send a patched up and banged up defense out against what is probably the fourth or fifth best team in the NFL and expect anything good to come of it. I blamed neither players nor coaches.

Rebuilding Tennessee to championship caliber was and is a multi-year project. Compared to where John Majors was at a similar point, Butch Jones seems to be ahead of schedule. It took Majors five years and a series of humiliations to notch his first win over the Tide. However, at that time, “Bear” Bryant was close to retirement and Bama wasn't all that. Saban seems to be at the height of his powers.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

One of the few aspects that didn't go wrong was the performance of Aaron Medley.

7. Carry the fight to Alabama and keep it there for sixty minutes.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Tennessee fought to the final gun but, like the Army of the Potomac at Chancellorsville, had no answers for what Saban and the Tide were doing. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Vol fans have to feel like Union supporters during the early years of the Civil War. Our Guys just can't seem to get it done and “Marse Nick” seems to always have an answer for anything the Vols can cook up. Remember, though, that after Chancellorsville came Gettysburg.[/FONT]

Brick by Brick, Baby!

MAXOMG

Suggested Reading:

Shelby Foote, The Civil War, A Narrative: Fredricksburg to Meridian

Ernest B. Furgurson, Chancellorsville 1863

Gen. Edward J. Stackpole, Chancellorsville

© 2016
Keeping Your Stories Alive

Lee and Jackson plot strategy during the night of 1 May 1863. (US Army)

Attachments

• RE-Lee-and-Stonewall-Jackson-Meet-Chancellorsville.jpg
    RE-Lee-and-Stonewall-Jackson-Meet-Chancellorsville.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 20 people
thanks...enjoy your read everytime...feeling a little Potomac right now...but, we shall return...:salute:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 1 person
Never miss the good Sunday morning read... looking forward to the balance of the season and a trip to Atlanta! Go Vols!

Great writing as always. Thank you for taking the time to remind us all that one battle does not win a war. For too many here, one game determines the season.

Thanks, OMG.

Jackson is my hero. I have stood on the spot where he fell at Chancellorsville. I've always thought God allowed him to be a part of the Confederacy to help make a point, but took him home in the middle of the war, lest the South win. Jackson was that good. Lee never would have ordered Pickett's charge, because Jackson wouldn't have let him.

Alas, even if Jackson planned the battle on yesterday's TSiO, the Tide could not have been turned back by the troops not laid up in the field hospital.

AV

Reactions: 3 people
I always look forward to reading your high quality content. The lessons from history combined with your assessment of team performance according to the maxims are entertaining with your storytelling and writing style, informative and insightful. Thanks for another great read.

Rebuilding Tennessee to championship caliber was and is a multi-year project.

I enjoy your posts, OMG. Always worth reading.

But I don't know if a multi-year project should be acceptable. Harbaugh has Michigan in pretty good shape in year two.

This is year 4 for Butch. He should have some quality depth, but evidently he doesn't.

I enjoy your posts, OMG. Always worth reading.

But I don't know if a multi-year project should be acceptable. Harbaugh has Michigan in pretty good shape in year two.

This is year 4 for Butch. He should have some quality depth, but evidently he doesn't.

I'd like to remind you that when the Michigan coach took over he had many great players already on the roster.

buTch had a roster that wasn't worthy for the most part to be attempting to play in the always tough SEC.

That my friend is a HUGE difference.

Recruiting as a ex-NFL coach who's flambouyant and acts a bit crazy at times also seems to help as does NOT having to play in the SEC.

In recruiting buTch is playing from behind in many ways but he already has our Team back to Winning well.

I'd like to see Michigan and Ohio State playing a SEC schedule week to week like we do because I seriously doubt they'd do as well as they do in their much weaker conference.

OMG...Thank you for another outstanding analysis and some great history my friend.

I stand and salute you.

Semper Fi!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Had Jackson been present there would have been no need for Pickett's Charge. He'd have taken Cemetery Hill on the first day.

Reactions: 2 people
Had Jackson been present there would have been no need for Pickett's Charge. He'd have taken Cemetery Hill on the first day.

Precisely. Also, he'd have never let the Yankees have Little Round Top. Old Pete was a solid corps commander but not in Jackson's league.

Just compare the Jackson's Valley Campaign and Longstreet's actions during the Knoxville campaign.

Just remembered I discussed the Knoxville campaign last year. http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/249788-tennessee-vs-maxims-vs-missouri.html

What say ye about doing one on the Valley Campaign?

Last edited:
Precisely. Also, he'd have never let the Yankees have Little Round Top. Old Pete was a solid corps commander but not in Jackson's league.

Just compare the Jackson's Valley Campaign and Longstreet's actions during the Knoxville campaign.

Just remembered I discussed the Knoxville campaign last year. http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/249788-tennessee-vs-maxims-vs-missouri.html

What say ye about doing one on the Valley Campaign?

Yes! There's a reason the Valley Campaign was studied in military schools for the next century.

AV

Shameless Self-promotion!

I will be reprising my WWI lecture at the Blount County Library in Maryville tomorrow (20 October) at 11:30 AM. All are invited!

Also, I will be doing a talk at the Alvin C. York State Historic Area on 12 November (time TBA) as part of their Veterans Day celebration.

Event Details — Tennessee State Parks

I held off reading until today.

I was predicting that you'd be highlighting one of three units for this game: Either the 7th Cavalry, circa June of 1876, or the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cav under Robert McDade on their 1965 march to LZ Albany. Or maybe Task Force Smith in June of 1950.

Thanks for all your contributions to this board.

I held off reading until today.

I was predicting that you'd be highlighting one of three units for this game: Either the 7th Cavalry, circa June of 1876, or the 2nd Battalion, 7th Cav under Robert McDade on their 1965 march to LZ Albany. Or maybe Task Force Smith in June of 1950.

Thanks for all your contributions to this board.

TF Smith was one story I considered but decided against it as I just did the one on Fox 2/7 at Toktong Pass.

Watching Butch on the sidelines caused me to think of Joe Hooker on the porch of that house in Chancellorsville trying to figure out just what the hell he could do about the disaster befalling his force.

TF Smith was one story I considered but decided against it as I just did the one on Fox 2/7 at Toktong Pass.

Watching Butch on the sidelines caused me to think of Joe Hooker on the porch of that house in Chancellorsville trying to figure out just what the hell he could do about the disaster befalling his force.

Perfect visual

VN Store

Back