Is Hurd a waste of down?

GetEmVols

I feel like Jalen Hurd is a waste of a down. Yes, he will get a couple of yards sometimes but often he is tackled by his shoe laces. Big guy with limited speed and balance.

He would be great in a bama type offense but not here. To be honest he should be a TE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
I feel like Jalen Hurd is a waste of a down. Yes, he will get a couple of yards sometimes but often he is tackled by his shoe laces. Big guy with limited speed and balance.

He would be great in a bama type offense but not here. To be honest he should be a TE.

Lol

Reactions: 14 people
he'd be a dominant TE or H-back.

he'd also do better running out of I, but that ain't going to happen.
Kelly and Kam ooks so much more fluid.

Reactions: 7 people
Man this place can really suck after a loss. On track to be the all time leading rusher and some think he has been a waste of a down? You should watch his highlights. Hurd is much better than Volnation is giving him credit for. Who is to say he wouldn't have had a big night against the Aggies? The oline played pretty good all game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
John Kelly ran as good if not better than Hurd

I liked what Jelly did against A&M, too. But it is ridiculous to compare one game to the grind of a season. Hurd is proven, tough, durable, talented.
This is a silly discussion.

Reactions: 15 people
He'll more than likely be the all time leading rusher in school history... and we still have people on here saying he should be a TE. Only VN smh

Reactions: 10 people
Man this place can really suck after a lose. On track to be the all time leading rusher and some think he has been a waste of a down? You should watch his highlights. Hurd is much better than Volnation is giving him credit for. Who is to say he wouldn't have had a big night against the Aggies? The oline played pretty good all game.
So was Arian Foster.

curious what is exactly the problem with Hurd...sure could've used him yesterday, no matter what anyone thinks...hopefully he'll be back for Bama....

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
Kamara was a game changing rb yesterday, I haven't seen Hurd affect a football game like ak did all season. I wouldn't mind seeing ak become the premier rb from here on out and I bet the rest of the team feels the same way. Hurd is not the leader and teammate that kamara is

Reactions: 6 people
He is a warrior.

Hope he's back to take some of the carry load next week!

PS - Also Kamara and Kelly are also as we now know!

#BAMAWEEK!

Reactions: 2 people
Man this place can really suck after a lose. On track to be the all time leading rusher and some think he has been a waste of a down? You should watch his highlights. Hurd is much better than Volnation is giving him credit for. Who is to say he wouldn't have had a big night against the Aggies? The oline played pretty good all game.

The o line plays good enough every game. It's called vision and burst. Lateral quickness and acceleration. Hurd is behind both Kelly and Kamara in all of it.

Reactions: 10 people
Hurd is a phenomenal blocker and receiver out of the backfield. Doesn't have breakaway speed but wears defenses down over the course of a game. Thread is ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 people

He holds on to the football.

Reactions: 8 people
I liked what Jelly did against A&M, too. But it is ridiculous to compare one game to the grind of a season. Hurd is proven, tough, durable, talented.
This is a silly discussion.

Agreed. Even more, when Hurd is in the backfield the defense keys in on him during every running down. Kelly didn't receive the same attention this week. I am not giving him a pass or taking anything away from him. Kelly is an outstanding back and we are luck to have him.

That said, when the star back is in the game, he will receive more attention than others. If Kelly gets the nod next week, he will get the attention the teams have paid to Hurd.

To remotely suggest that Hurd is a waste of a down is idiotic. Many of the plays support the development of secondary and tertiary plays.

Remember, we run a zone read and have one of the top duel threat QBs. Keying on the running back is a good thing which allows the QB to take off. Just like a stop/slant and go route for a receiver, there are a lot of button hooks, slants and comebacks run prior to the stop/slant and go.

But of course the OP probably assumes it is all Dobbs and each play is independent of each other.

Reactions: 3 people
Mayhap you've forgotten the many piles of tacklers Hurd has dragged to a first down and beyond? Recall the run at Florida where I think he carried most of the team down to the goal line. But he needs a second to get a head of steam, and that doesn't happen when the o line lets half the D through. It would be dumb to move him. Croom is a great target and barely gets looks.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back