11 Things I think we now know...

utvols74

1.Jauan Jennings and Tyler Byrd are for real
2.Pre UF, perhaps the reason UT didn’t air it out more was evidenced in the drops in the first half
3.UF is the neighborhood bully – full of BS, “swagger” and has a loud mouth. Pop them in that mouth repeatedly and the outcome will be different
4.Hurd is the 2nd back out of the backfield that can catch a pass
5.Colton Jumper, despite his father’s alleged riches, can play good football
6.UT coaches can make half-time adjustments
7.UT coaches do know that the Oline needs work and have been focusing on it and succeeding
8.Dobbs can hit receivers in stride and on target; he can also air it out when necessary
9.UT coaches can and do “hold back” some of the playbook with perceived inferior teams
10.UT is progressively playing better as the season moves forward
11.If all of our defensive front-7 are healthy, UT can be absolutely dominant - crushingly so

Reactions: 7 people
Great seeing Tuttle out there, that dude clearly LOVES to mix it up!! :rock:

And Other Freaks WISH they were Barnett!!

Reactions: 1 person
2.Pre UF, perhaps the reason UT didn’t air it out more was evidenced in the drops in the first half
3.UF is the neighborhood bully – full of BS, “swagger” and has a loud mouth. Pop them in that mouth repeatedly and the outcome will be different
7.UT coaches do know that the Oline needs work and have been focusing on it and succeeding
8.Dobbs can hit receivers in stride and on target; he can also air it out when necessary
9.UT coaches can and do “hold back” some of the playbook with perceived inferior teams
11.If all of our defensive front-7 are healthy, UT can be absolutely dominant - crushingly so

Lol # 5 is nicely worded. As a fan base, we should refer to number nine often in the future. Especially when games like these appear not as favorable.

Regarding the adjustments...I'm in awe of the runs we went on against VT and Florida (though VT wasn't entirely in the 2nd half. We went on a 45-3 run against VT, and a 38-0 run against Florida. This is a team that has been slow to get going, but when it does it absolutely eviscerates good football teams. If we can play like that for an entire game, we could easily be a playoff team.

I know the team has regressed from last year in certain areas, most notably the OL, but one thing that hasn't regressed is fighting for 60 minutes. I'll give Jones credit for this team never giving up.

Reactions: 6 people
Agree with all of this but it hasn't been the case every game this season... especially #6 and #7 is a stretch... #8 all depends on the O line giving him time.

The only thing I needed to learn I saw yesterday. The team that showed up in the 2nd half was utterly dominant. THAT was the team that was hyped. I have no clue who the team from the first half was, but it was not TN. The OL still needs work but man, we threw the ball extremely well, our WR's burnt their supposed best DB group in the nation. The running game is stout when actual holes are opened up, and when Dobbs finally decides to keep the ball and mix it up then it really puts the D on their heels and makes our O that much more versatile.

If THAT Tennessee team shows up the next 3 weeks, we can win all 3 or at the very least go 2-1 and keep the playoff hopes alive with a trip to ATL. Consistency is HUGE though. We have to be consistent and have THAT group show up in two straight tough, tough, road games.

Reactions: 4 people
It's kinda difficult to judge Jumper on one decent half when he's been getting blown up for a season and a half.

This is what has me excited about the rest of the season and the future.

It's kinda difficult to judge Jumper on one decent half when he's been getting blown up for a season and a half.

He has his bad plays but give him his due to be handed arguably the most important position on the field and expected to run the show hes doing an admirable job.

Hes no DK but hes serviceable.

couple questions: why wait till halftime to make adjustments?
also, how does "starting fast" mean running into the middle of the defensive line with the only back in the backfield as the ball carrier?

PS. Hope there's no hangover against the Dawgs, and as always...

GO COLTON AND GO VOLS!

He has his bad plays but give him his due to be handed arguably the most important position on the field and expected to run the show hes doing an admirable job.

Hes no DK but hes serviceable.

Agreed. And while his dad's "alleged millions" might have contributed to his being on the team, Butch and Shoop didn't put him in as a starter with their "actual millions" on the line because of it.

All he did was lead the team is takes. I think I saw enough to be comfortable with his play. With more experience, he will play even better. However, I think he still behind Kirkland. Kirkland is freaky good.

I'll say this much for Jumper, while he is slow and can get burnt easily on some big plays, I watched him lead that defense yesterday. So many times I saw him rushing to the DL and redirecting players where they needed to be when they were out of position. I don't think he has the speed or size of an SEC LB but for a walk-on he sure has the intelligence of a big time LB.

Regarding the adjustments...I'm in awe of the runs we went on against VT and Florida (though VT wasn't entirely in the 2nd half. We went on a 45-3 run against VT, and a 38-0 run against Florida. This is a team that has been slow to get going, but when it does it absolutely eviscerates good football teams. If we can play like that for an entire game, we could easily be a playoff team.

I'd tend to think the Vols are like a diesel engine. A little slow to warm up, but when they get going, they don't stop.

Great seeing Tuttle out there, that dude clearly LOVES to mix it up!! :rock:

And Other Freaks WISH they were Barnett!!

I've been really impressed with Shy Tuttle, he can really disrupt an offense which allows other D players to succeed.

Jumper arguably made the biggest play of the game. He belted the uf runner on 3rd and half a yard and prevented the gators from starting the 2nd half with a first down. That was a crucial stop.

On the down side, from what I saw, Jack Jones at right guard had a tough game. He got blown up a lot by their defensive tackles. Dobbs was consistently under pressure from UF's inside pass rush because Jones was getting beat and getting pushed back--and Wiesman wasn't giving him much help. I think Robertson got beat a few times too. I'd like to have a dollar for every time I've seen a center back up in pass protection, no one in front of him to block--vigilantly scanning right or left with his head but often failing to notice the defensively lineman who's beaten a guard and then rushes right past him to the QB.

Or maybe the game is slowing down for him and he can finally "SEE" SEC football... Maybe everybody has given this kid all kinds of hell for no reason, as he is just a KID on a football team while attending college.
You people bashing 18-22 year old kids for not performing up to your standards absolutely KILL me!
Sorry, just tired of all the player bashing that goes on around here, it's RIDICULOUS!!! /rant

VN Store

Back