Gators' "leg cramping" should be penalized

OrangeBloodinTN

Only one team yesterday had leg cramping problems. And, oh, what a surprise -- it was the gators after big plays by the Vols when doing hurry up, no huddle. This is dirty and happened too many times for it to have been actual injuries. I'm out of my mind excited for the win... I have no voice today after screaming my head off in Neyland with 100k of my best friends. Go Big Orange! Great to see our team rise above the dirty play, the trash talking, and win it on the field! The kind of trash football we saw yesterday should be penalized. There has to be a way to regulate it. Maybe if it happens too many times all players who cramp must sit out two quarters. Something drastic would help end it.

Reactions: 13 people
I saw someone suggest any player removed from the field for injury, regardless of its severity should sit three plays. I think that's strong enough to deter its overuse without it being too harsh.

Reactions: 15 people
I would agree, except karma made an appearance when gaulden faked getting hit by the Florida player. He didn't get hit but I took it as a 15 yard penalty for the cramping shenanigans.

Reactions: 3 people
Can't be a penalty, sometimes it's obvious it's faked but not all the time. But I like them having to sit out a few plays.

Reactions: 2 people
I know what you're saying, and App State did it too, but it's not something that can be proven. Two quarters is too much --what if our guys start having leg cramps? --but maybe make them sit out for 5 minutes on the clock or something. After all, we are concerned for their well-being. :wink2:

Reactions: 1 person
One time when the crowd was booing for leg cramps, the Florida player had obviously gotten his bell rung on a helmet to helmet hit. Got to be careful when you start asking officials to play doctor.

I do like the idea though of making a player sit for the rest of the drive or at least until the next first down if he goes down and they have to stop the game.

Reactions: 6 people
I saw someone suggest any player removed from the field for injury, regardless of its severity should sit three plays. I think that's strong enough to deter its overuse without it being too harsh.

IMO, they should have to sit the rest of the drive

Reactions: 8 people
I agree with sitting out 3 plays, because if it really is a bad cramp (you can not walk of field), you will need at least 3 plays for your leg to feel well enough to play at that level.

With all the "players" falling out with injuries in the middle of important drives, I propose a rule change. Players who get hurt on the field, requiring play stoppage, should be required not only to leave the field for the next play, but I suggest for the next five minutes of play or twenty plays. If it's a defensive player and only two plays remain in the series, then 18 in the next. For those looking to speed up play, I believe this will help. This would protect players who may be hurt worse than first believed, just wanting to get back to play. And, of course, would lower the number of free timeouts.

Been thinking about this since the App St game.

If a player goes down twice due to injury resulting in a game delay, then that player's team should be charged a timeout. If there are no timeouts available, then that player should be ruled ineligible for the rest of the game. At this point, it is apparent that the player is not physically fit enough too compete and ruling him ineligible would be for his own protection, imo.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I think it was a sham to break the hurry up also- on two occasions the trainer covered his mouth to talk to the downed player. No reason to hide from lip readers if you are taking care of a real injury

Reactions: 3 people
It was ridiculous how often the Gators were dropping but then miraculously coming back. I agree, have to wait out three plays. Makes sense to me. But knowing the NCAA they won't adapt it.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back