Those who say we were "supposed" to win

Nerwen Aldarion

Tennessee Girl
I don't get it.

Where have you guys been the past ten years. You say we should act like this was "supposed to happen" that we should be expecting a win against Florida.

Except if you look at preseason predictions, most people were pinning a loss on this game because "can't predict we beat Florida until we actually do"

Look at the predictions. Across the board it was mixed. Heck on ESPN only one analyst picked us.

And that's because the years of us "supposed to beat Florida" were 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were that team. But the past 11 years should have taught us there is no "supposed to win" game

We were always supposed to beat Vandy but we didn't

We were always supposed to beat Kentucky but didn't.

I'm not trying to talk our team down, the opposite. I'm trying to remind everyone where we have been and why finally ending the streak is so important.

During the first half a lot of people were saying "I knew this would happen" and "we'all never beat them" and "just make it 12 straight"

That tells me a lot of people, myself included, didn't think "we're supposed to beat Florida" because we haven't been the team that is "supposed to beat Florida" for 11 years

So we should celebrate as much as we want. None of this restraint because of the team we used to be. We aren't the same team we were. This is a team that overcame adversity and exceeding many people's expectations including a lot of experts and our own fans.

Enjoy it. Because soon we will be that team that is "supposed to bear Florida" again.

Reactions: 2 people
Tennessee was supposed to win. Higher ranked. Favored. At home. Playing a backup qb.

Shouldn't be hard to figure out.

But that doesn't take away from the greatness of the win and performance by all involved in the second half...

Reactions: 4 people
The Florida game is over. I'm sure it's fun to talk about for some, but on to the next. That was a huge victory and we proved that we can play with anyone on our schedule. Let's get Georgia and A&M, then we can talk Alabama to get that monkey off our back as well!

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee has better players than Florida. So yes they were supposed to win.

We had better players last year too.

I'm just pointing out saying we should act like we are supposed to win goes against the majority of predictions by our very own fans

I don't get it.

Where have you guys been the past ten years. You say we should act like this was "supposed to happen" that we should be expecting a win against Florida.
And just like anyone with an ounce of sense has said.... there were different players at different points of development on past teams. With regard to talent, skill, depth, etc.... the past 10 years had NOTHING to do with the two rosters that took the field yesterday.

Except if you look at preseason predictions, most people were pinning a loss on this game because "can't predict we beat Florida until we actually do"
That was an emotional reaction to the simple fact that UT also had the better team for the past two years and still lost.

Look at the predictions. Across the board it was mixed. Heck on ESPN only one analyst picked us.
Yet FPI which is a rolling calculation of the relative strength of teams had UT winning by roughly the margin UT won by.

McElwain said it plainly in his post-game presser.... the better team won. He acknowledged that UT was more talented than UF.

The more talented team SHOULD win.

And that's because the years of us "supposed to beat Florida" were 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were that team. But the past 11 years should have taught us there is no "supposed to win" game
False conclusion built on a false premise. The team with the most talent, depth, experience, and best coaching should win. They don't always.... but they should.

A few weeks ago, I believe Miss St was on the losing end of the greatest FPI upset since the ranking was created. They should not have lost.... but did.

I'm not trying to talk our team down, the opposite. I'm trying to remind everyone where we have been and why finally ending the streak is so important.
That's fine. But you are doing it in an unreasonable way.

There have been times when UF was clearly the better roster. But there have also been times during the streak when UT was pretty equal or even better and still lost. The fact that they had the better team and have now proven it.... is more than good enough. They SHOULD have won and did as opposed to the last two years.

During the first half a lot of people were saying "I knew this would happen" and "we'all never beat them" and "just make it 12 straight"

That tells me a lot of people, myself included, didn't think "we're supposed to beat Florida" because we haven't been the team that is "supposed to beat Florida" for 11 years
My fear was that UT was choking again.... not that somehow they weren't the superior team. At no point did that change.

The fact that UT's WR's owned UF's secondary isn't a fluke or an accident. They're better players. UF missed the players it lost much more than their first 3 games against weak teams revealed. They talked big but in reality they had no one the caliber of Hargreaves.

So we should celebrate as much as we want. None of this restraint because of the team we used to be. We aren't the same team we were. This is a team that overcame adversity and exceeding many people's expectations including a lot of experts and our own fans.

Enjoy it. Because soon we will be that team that is "supposed to bear Florida" again.

Hopefully so. Hopefully UT continues to get the players and coaching to go on our OWN streak.

Tennessee was supposed to win. Higher ranked. Favored. At home. Playing a backup qb.

But that doesn't take away from the greatness of the win and performance by all involved in the second half...

Well said!

Look at the predictions. Across the board it was mixed.

Still trying to figure this sentence out. It was unanimously not unanimous?

tumblr_inline_n7ofb0cWFu1ra2t3w.gif

I don't get it.

We was supposed to win and SHOULD be on a 3 game streak against them

People keep trotting out that backup QB stuff like it is that important. First, Del Rio is hardly Tim Tebow. The drop off from him to a grad transfer is less noticeable than most teams losing their starting QB.

Second, we were playing without Cam Sutton, Reeves-Maybin, and Kirkland Jr on defense. Three guys who should all be day 1 picks. If we had to play Florida again, and you told me that I could either have our three healthy AND Florida have Del Rio, or we would be without our three and face Appleby, I would take Del Rio (and our three stars) in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd take any single one of them.

We were in a much worse position than Florida injury wise.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back