Game Day Meltdowns, NegaVols, Sunshine Pumpers Finally Explained

93TNVol

It Wasn’t Me
It's real simple. When you have been a VFL since the day you were born, you tend to wear your emotions on your sleeve. Being a VFL as a kid, making the grades, getting into UT, graduating, spending the best moments of your life with family and Vol Football as a centerpiece for many memorable family gatherings, sitting in Neyland Stadium with your Dad for the first time. Sneaking onto the field while the crew is there painting the checker board endzone. I could go on and on. When you become this emotionally invested in something, sometimes you have to let it all out. So, I take the good with the bad and try to overlook when someone pops off and makes a negative comment. Likewise, Sunshine Pumpers are going to pump. It's just the way it is when you bleed orange.

GBO! VFL! Through the good times and the bad.

Reactions: 10 people
It's real simple. When you have been a VFL since the day you were born, you tend to wear your emotions on your sleeve. Being a VFL as a kid, making the grades, getting into UT, graduating, spending the best moments of your life with family and Vol Football as a centerpiece for many memorable family gatherings, sitting in Neyland Stadium with your Dad for the first time. Sneaking onto the field while the crew is there painting the checker board endzone. I could go on and on. When you become this emotionally invested in something, sometimes you have to let it all out. So, I take the good with the bad and try to overlook when someone pops off and makes a negative comment. Likewise, Sunshine Pumpers are going to pump. It's just the way it is when you bleed orange.

GBO! VFL! Through the good times and the bad.

We are an emotional bunch. I'm glad the players snapped out of it and played with passion rather than emotion.

We are all trying to get by the best we can. Life is better when the Vols win. I know I'm not as grumpy, at least that's what
Mrs. Iam4utalways tells me.

Reactions: 1 person
My grandad played on 1921 team. My dad rode the walking horse on the sidelines at the 1979 Homecoming game against Ga Tech. I'm critical quite often when I see the team not playing to its potential but definitely have bled my share of orange blood.

Reactions: 5 people
My grandad played on 1921 team. My dad rode the walking horse on the sidelines at the 1979 Homecoming game against Ga Tech. I'm critical quite often when I see the team not playing to its potential but definitely have bled my share of orange blood.

Very cool. I was at that GA Tech game.

We are an emotional bunch. I'm glad the players snapped out of it and played with passion rather than emotion.

We are all trying to get by the best we can. Life is better when the Vols win. I know I'm not as grumpy, at least that's what
Mrs. Iam4utalways tells me.

You both understand. Having UT as a part of your fabric makes it all the more painful when things are bad and likewise, everything is right in the world when the Vols are winning. It's no surprise that it shows on this board in both negative and positive posts.

I think there's an optimist/pessimist dynamic.

I also think those who were raised by demanding parents tend to be negavols, and the ones who were raised being told everything is always okay tend to be sunshine pumpers.

Additionally, there are individual personality types. When I'm having an unsuccessful day at work, I facepalm and am like, "F--- me." When I'm having success and rake in the money, I get very amped up and excited. So I judge others the same way I judge myself. Some people are negative all the time about themselves and others. Others are positive all the time about themselves and others.

I think there's an optimist/pessimist dynamic.

I also think those who were raised by demanding parents tend to be negavols, and the ones who were raised being told everything is always okay tend to be sunshine pumpers.

Additionally, there are individual personality types. When I'm having an unsuccessful day at work, I facepalm and am like, "F--- me." When I'm having success and rake in the money, I get very amped up and excited. So I judge others the same way I judge myself. Some people are negative all the time about themselves and others. Others are positive all the time about themselves and others.

:lolabove:There is so much truth in this post. The facepalm quote is something I can personally relate to. I have had a very understanding wife for the last decade and she probably thinks my palm is permanently stuck on my face. :eek:lol:

Very cool. I was at that GA Tech game.
Wish I'd have been. I was in Germany at the time in the Air Force. The university presents a special plaque to the rider and horse on a wood frame signed by coach and the AD. Hanging in my study now. Dad passed away in January, I really miss calling him during the game and comparing notes.

VN Store

Back