Seven home games added to Tennessee's future schedule

carlos86

Reactions: 1 person
Why not add some half decent teams instead of these no name creampuffs?? These will all be blowouts.

Reactions: 2 people
The Mocs will get hammered in 2019, but at least I'll be able to watch my grandson play in Neyland Stadium. How bloody cool is that?

Reactions: 21 people
Why not add some half decent teams instead of these no name creampuffs?? These will all be blowouts.

We already play one of the toughest schedules in the country..unlike some other teams..we have no need to schedule hard out of conference opponents.

In fact it just hurts us if we do...

Reactions: 5 people
Tennessee will play UTEP (2018), Chattanooga (2019), UAB (2019), Charlotte (2020), Bowling Green (2021), Ball State (2022) and Army West Point (2022)

Football Adds Seven Home Games to Future Schedules - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Not exactly high profile opponents. I miss having one big name opponent every year doing a home and home..we have done that as far back as I can remember. No reason to stop doing it now. I loved the home and home series with Oregon,Oklahoma,ND,UCLA,Cal,Miami etc. Wish we had been able to keep the series with USC and Ohio St. Would love to add both of them,Texas,FSU,TCU,,Michigan and anybody else. All of those would be great home and home series and would make great road trips every other year. I'm ok with doing kick off games at neutral sites every so often but I much prefer the home and homes with one big name school every year. It is great for recruiting,great for going to stadium's that we rarely or have never played at not to mention they make for some great primetime Saturday night games that everyone would want to watch. I really hope we aren't going away from that because we are one of the few SEC teams that play one of those every year instead of scheduling 4 easy wins that doesn't benefit us except for having 4 easy but boring wins every year.

Looks like we learned our lesson scheduling tough teams like Oregon, Oklahoma. SEC schedule is tough enough, I'll take cream puffs all day long and throw a VT or a WV in there to mix things up. Untill OSU and Ala do it on a consistent basis, we need to schedule smart.

Reactions: 3 people
We already play one of the toughest schedules in the country..unlike some other teams..we have no need to schedule hard out of conference opponents.

Will disagree..we have always been known for scheduling one big name OOC games every year dating back to the Majors era. Nobody wants to go watch 4 crappy OOC games every year. I love that we have always scheduled one big name OOC game pretty much every year.I T greatly benefits the university,the players and the fans Schedule 3 easy wins and one big name every year.No reason to dodge those kind of games like most SEC teams have typically done every year. Even Ala won't schedule big name home and homes and travel to an Oregon,UCLA,ND,Oklahoma etc but will do neutral site games that usually end up being a majority Ala crowd. As a fan I much prefer one of those every year as opposed to having 4 OOC games that include teams like Charleston,tenn Tech,Western Carolina and Ohio. I don't wanna see 4 of those $hitty games every year.

It shouldn't hurt us one bit..we have done it for 30+ years. It only benefits us to play one tough OOC game every year. If we can't beat a good power 5 team in an OOC game then we have no business even talking about playing for the SEC Championship much less even thinking about being a playoff team. If we are good enough to talk about playing in and winning the college playoff games then scheduling 1 Good OOC game every year does nothing but benefit us every year not hurt us. We play in the best conference in college football so scheduling one good OOC is a no trainer and does absolutely nothing but help us every year. If we can't beat the better teams in other power 5 conferences then we have no business even thinking about being a playoff team.

Folks, no reason to start breathing through our mouths. As others have said, these announcements do not in any way change our routine strength of schedule.

The formula has not changed. It remains:
-- 8 SEC opponents
-- 1 Power 5 opponent from out of conference
-- 2 Group of 5 opponents
-- 1 FCS "charity game"

And see? These new announcements all fit that model:
-- '18 - UTEP (Group of 5 - CUSA)
-- '19 - UAB (Group of 5 - CUSA) and UT-Chattanooga (FCS)
-- '20 - Charlotte (Group of 5 - CUSA)
-- '21 - Bowling Green (Group of 5 - MAC)
-- '22 - Ball State (Group of 5 - MAC) and Army (Independent - equivalent to Group of 5)

Remember, we're playing Ga Tech (ACC) as our OOC P5 in '17, and West Virginia (B12) as our OOC P5 in '18. Plus we have Pitt (ACC) in a home-and-home series in '21 and '22. Don't think we yet know who our '19 or '20 P5 OOC foes will be.

In short, these announcements are par for the longstanding course we've followed. In fact, these games are being announced as a group expressly because they are NOT the big OOC P5 game of any of those years. If any of these were the big P5 opponent, they would merit their own announcement, rather than the 'bundle."

So it's okay, sit down, breathe into a paper bag for a few minutes, everything's gonna be alright.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
It shouldn't hurt us one bit..we have done it for 30+ years. It only benefits us to play one tough OOC game every year. If we can't beat a good power 5 team in an OOC game then we have no business even talking about playing for the SEC Championship much less even thinking about being a playoff team. If we are good enough to talk about playing in and winning the college playoff games then scheduling 1 Good OOC game every year does nothing but benefit us every year not hurt us. We play in the best conference in college football so scheduling one good OOC is a no trainer and does absolutely nothing but help us every year. If we can't beat the better teams in other power 5 conferences then we have no business even thinking about being a playoff team.

First..we still have one big OOC opponent every year, nothing has changed..we just don't need anymore

Second..your going to tell me it would not have benefited us to not have losses to the Sooners the past two years at the start of the season?

VN Store

Back