Vols' defensive ends 'all deserve to play'

weallvol

It’s a welcome dilemma for Tennessee, and first-year Tennessee defensive coordinator Bob Shoop said Monday that the Vols plan to play “all of them” against the Mountaineers.

“We had this talk as a defense the other day: They all deserve to play,” Shoop said. “I had the meeting specifically with the D-ends. I mean, Derek Barnett — raise your hand — I think he deserves to play. Corey Vereen, I think he deserves to play. LaTroy Lewis, you could make the case, since I’ve been on the job, has been one of our more consistent players — maybe one of our best players. I think he deserves to play.
Jonathan Kongbo has really practiced hard and well lately. OK, I’d vote for him, too. Darrell Taylor, that guy deserves to play. Dimarya Mixon, he deserves to play. Kyle Phillips, he deserves to play. So it’s trying to find creative ways.
“And it’s a nice problem to have, because now you don’t have to have guys playing 60 to 70 snaps, and we can assemble packages where one of those guys might be playing inside, as well, and we can rotate guys. And rather than having a guy play 70, 75 snaps, if we can get him to play 50 snaps really, really hard, that’s a good benefit for us.”

Reactions: 13 people
It’s a welcome dilemma for Tennessee, and first-year Tennessee defensive coordinator Bob Shoop said Monday that the Vols plan to play “all of them” against the Mountaineers.

“We had this talk as a defense the other day: They all deserve to play,” Shoop said. “I had the meeting specifically with the D-ends. I mean, Derek Barnett — raise your hand — I think he deserves to play. Corey Vereen, I think he deserves to play. LaTroy Lewis, you could make the case, since I’ve been on the job, has been one of our more consistent players — maybe one of our best players. I think he deserves to play.
Jonathan Kongbo has really practiced hard and well lately. OK, I’d vote for him, too. Darrell Taylor, that guy deserves to play. Dimarya Mixon, he deserves to play. Kyle Phillips, he deserves to play. So it’s trying to find creative ways.
“And it’s a nice problem to have, because now you don’t have to have guys playing 60 to 70 snaps, and we can assemble packages where one of those guys might be playing inside, as well, and we can rotate guys. And rather than having a guy play 70, 75 snaps, if we can get him to play 50 snaps really, really hard, that’s a good benefit for us.”

Is there a package where anyone thinks Shoop has all 4 of his best DEs on the line at once?

I just watched our season preview on sec network, and them guys were all giddy over our defense. Said they would be as good as any defense in the country. I agree.

Reactions: 2 people
Is there a package where anyone thinks Shoop has all 4 of his best DEs on the line at once?

I'm sure there is, that's about the only way he can get them all some significant playing time, like maybe 3rd and long, wich I'm sure we will see a lot of.

I just watched our season preview on sec network, and them guys were all giddy over our defense. Said they would be as good as any defense in the country. I agree.

Watched it also. Jakob johnson looked like a grown ass man after a year of muscle!

I'm finding it more and more difficult to curb my enthusiasm and expectations with little hype nuggets like this coming out on the reg...maybe it's me and it just feels different, or that I don't remember hearing good things from the coaches very often last year. Mostly, what I recall was all, "we're young, pump the breaks, we're not where we need to be, we're young, we're still young...........................................still young."

Now it's more "60 minutes isn't enough time to play all of our awesome players."

If people don't think fatigue didn't have anything to do with OU and Fla last yr they werent paying attention.

Reactions: 4 people
Here's The Four Horsemen package

03.jpg

Reactions: 1 person

Could you do it on a goal line package? Replace some of the smaller LBs with the DE and leave the best CBs in space? I'm honestly asking, I don't know how that normally works except that teams can bring in an extra OL for that situation.

Last edited:
I would like to see a lot out of Kyle Phillips this year... If he stays healthy so much potential. Huge if. He can make it to the next level..

VN Store

Back