Spurrier diagnosed with "acute stress disorder" after 2014 TN game

jtipto10

He discusses it in his upcoming book. From the SDS article:

South Carolina reporter shares interesting stories from Steve Spurrier's upcoming book

"After losing 45-42 against Tennessee on Nov. 1, he left his postgame press conference without answering a single question and had problems sleeping and remembering the code for his locker and phone numbers later that week. South Carolina’s team psychologist diagnosed him with "acute stress disorder” and prescribed him sleeping pills, according to Spurrier."

for those who don't know what acute stress disorder is, it can develop into PTSD and affects daily functioning:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

seems like Butch pretty much put an end to his career

Reactions: 49 people

South Carolina reporter shares interesting stories from Steve Spurrier's upcoming book

"After losing 45-42 against Tennessee on Nov. 1, he left his postgame press conference without answering a single question and had problems sleeping and remembering the code for his locker and phone numbers later that week. South Carolina’s team psychologist diagnosed him with "acute stress disorder” and prescribed him sleeping pills, according to Spurrier."

for those who don't know what acute stress disorder is, it can develop into PTSD and affects daily functioning:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy....."can't spell Citrus without UT".

Can't spell Steve Spurrier without puss

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
I had the opposite of whatever acute stress disorder is. I must have told my wife "There was NO chance, but WE DID IT" like 100 times. Then I slept like a baby.

Reactions: 13 people
No surprise.

Spurrier showed his Acute Stress Symptoms (ASS) for years.

Reactions: 52 people
70 years old and obviously sick of coaching for at least the prior three years.

But yeah, it was the Vols who "put an end to his career."

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: 10 people
Agree, he was good for college football and what he did at USCjr was remarkable, as Muschamp will soon find out.

South Carolina had two of the better coaches in college football history and all they managed out of that was one East title where they were then blown out in the SEC Championship. They are going to be Kentucky like again.

Reactions: 1 person

Truth hurts, don't it, Spanky?

Blame Spurrier himself, he's the one who let the cat outta the bag with his book. :)

Reactions: 11 people
I'll get flamed by some for this but I really grew to love Spurrier at South Carolina.

The guy said what he thought when 99% of the people in his position were carefully guarded and speak only in cliches to the media. He was great for college football. And pretty much all of his quips (even the ones about Tennessee) were true.

Maybe that's the consulting role that UF hired him for. As a UTIB (UT-Induced-Breakdown) survivor, he can coach the current UF staff through the transition in a more healthy manner.

Reactions: 9 people
Seems ironic that out of all teams, Tennessee was the one to end his career.

Ironic this happened twice..After 2001 game in swamp and then this one in SC. I wish him the best. All coaches in the SEC owe Ol' Ball Coach a royalty from their paychecks. He made everyone a lot of money. He was great for college football and the league.

Spurrier actually made his name at UF (and nationally) by finally beating UT (if you remember UF footbal never did anything of substance before he became the HC - historical stats were very one-sided in UT's favor before he came to UF). Therefore it's only fitting that after all that and him running his mouth about UT all these years that UT was the one to put an end to his coaching career. Likewise, UT is about to put an end to that ugly losing streak to Gators - hopefully also run up the score while we are at it. :good!:

Reactions: 6 people
Spurrier actually made his name at UF (and nationally) by finally beating UT (if you remember UF footbal never did anything of substance before he became the HC - historical stats were very one-sided in UT's favor before he came to UF). Therefore it's only fitting that after all that and him running his mouth about UT all these years that UT was the one to put an end to his coaching career. Likewise, UT is about to put an end to that ugly losing streak to Gators - hopefully also run up the score while we are at it. :good!:

Speaking honestly...if there is one thing Spurrier will be remembered for in his career, it is probably the fact that he owned Tennessee and kept Peyton Manning from playing in potentially multiple national title games.

Even moreso than the national championship game he won.

Seems ironic that out of all teams, Tennessee was the one to end his career.

Not really. When you look at how must he enjoyed beating Tennessee, his home state school, losing to them would stick in his craw. And as long as we had coaching staffs that could not outwork him, he could deal with a loss here and there. And to say something is ironic, it is both strange and unexpected. /this is far from the latter.

But Butch came along, and started recruiting passionately, and stocking recruits like firewood for an Alaska winter. Plus, he started building relationships with HS coaching staffs, first instate and also nationally. And though rebuilding the Vols would take time, South Carolina and Spurrier was the first major hurdle cleared that showed Tennessee would not be kept down.

So, it may seem ironic at first, but with Spurrier's ego, it really isn't. His mouth had just wrote too many checks over the years for his ass to cash this late in his career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

I think I developed the same thing last season after several of our games.

I think I developed the same thing last season after several of our games.

You were in good company. About 60% of VolNation went temporarily insane after the Oklahoma and Florida losses. It was a madhouse around here.

VN Store

Back