Bleacher Report: Tennessee will beat Alabama, but...

Well, if we have to go 1-1 against them then let's pray for the reverse. But, let's just focus on beating Florida and Georgia first.

Reactions: 11 people
Really enjoy listening to Barrett Sallee. He has good insight and seems pretty level headed. Also helps that he is VERY optimistic on the Vols this year :). But Dobbs as a Heisman finalist is very bold, I honestly don't see that happening.

Beating Bama in Neyland would be amazing, even if we end up losing in the SECCG.

Why not? If Tennessee beats Alabama in Knoxville, there is a great chance that would be their only regular season loss.

Bama still plays Ole Miss and LSU. Lost to Ole Miss the last two years. Play #20 Southern Cal in the opener this year, that's not a guaranteed win. They play @ LSU this year and @ Ole Miss. If Bama is going to have a less than stellar year, this will be it. Lots of things going against them. Multiple off season issues, 3 players transferred, have to break in a new QB and RB (not that that's been an issue before but still), and finally they lost a total of 15 players to the draft or as undrafted free agents.

Reactions: 2 people
I got Alabama losing at least 2 games. I think Us and Ole Miss get them and possibly LSU depending on how good their offense is.I d rather not play Alabama twice

UT is probably 1b as far as toughest games for Bama this year. I don't see why they couldnt make the SECCG with an L to UT

Given that Bama typically has one regular season loss, I'd just as soon have it come against someone from the East so that it doesn't impact the road to the SECCG. It's all well and good to lost to Ole Miss when they will inevitably screw up, but it'd be better to not have to rely on another team to stub its toe.

I got Alabama losing at least 2 games. I think Us and Ole Miss get them and possibly LSU depending on how good their offense is.I d rather not play Alabama twice

I'd rather not play anyone twice as you don't often beat good teams twice in a single season.

Reactions: 5 people
No annual cross division opponents have ever met in the SEC title game (TN v. Bama, UGA v. AUB, LSU v. UF, etc.). That's 25 years of games and it hasn't happened once.

There is a reason. That extra loss is enough to keep the team out.

If TN beats Bama, Bama will likely not make it to the title game.

Reactions: 1 person
Bama still plays Ole Miss and LSU. Lost to Ole Miss the last two years. Play #20 Southern Cal in the opener this year, that's not a guaranteed win. They play @ LSU this year and @ Ole Miss. If Bama is going to have a less than stellar year, this will be it. Lots of things going against them. Multiple off season issues, 3 players transferred, have to break in a new QB and RB (not that that's been an issue before but still), and finally they lost a total of 15 players to the draft or as undrafted free agents.

Bama has to have the most difficult schedule in the country this year.

Alabama could have an even better team this year imo.

But Tennessee was close last year. Very close.

After we destroy App State. And after Bama rolls USC, everyone will put the 3rd Saturday in October on notice for the game of the year.

There is no way in the world Alabama loses to Ole Miss 3 years in a row and they'll take care of business against a non-conference foe at a neutral site.

I really see them as having only 2 chances to slip up this year...at Tennessee and at LSU. If they lose one of those games, I say they'll win the other.

Bold prediction: We are the first team to beat Nick Saban twice in one year, and this year marks the beginning of the downward trajectory of Alabama back to irrelevance.

Reactions: 3 people
Bleacher Report predicts Vols will beat Bama in the regular season game but Saban will get his revenge in Atlanta.

SEC Football: Bold Predictions for 2016 Season | Bleacher Report

(They also predict Dobbs will be a Heisman finalist.)

I don't see Bama losing to Tennessee and making the Championship. Bama has a new QB and has to rely on someone other than Derrick Henry but my biggest reason is their schedule. They have a brutal road schedule this season. @Ole Miss, @Arkansas, @Tennessee, and @LSU.

No annual cross division opponents have ever met in the SEC title game (TN v. Bama, UGA v. AUB, LSU v. UF, etc.). That's 25 years of games and it hasn't happened once.

There is a reason. That extra loss is enough to keep the team out.

I'm not sure that's the reason. In the 23 years of the title game:

1992: Had UT beat Bama there would have been a rematch in Atlanta. But a rematch would have happened if UT had defeated either Arkansas or USCe, both of whom finished with a losing record.

1996: LSU would have forced a rematch had they beat UF. They also could have forced it by beating Bama.

1998: Arkansas could have forced a rematch with UT if Stoerner hadn't derped the game away, or they simply could have beat MSU.

2006: LSU forces rematch by beating UF or Auburn.

That's the entire list of years where a rematch could have occurred had one team defeated its permanent rival. But in each instance that same team could have forced a rematch by beating one other opponent.

Even more interesting, there have been 6 instances of a team making the title game despite losing to its permanent cross-division opponent: '99 Bama, '01 LSU, '03 LSU, '05 UGA, '07 UT, '15 UF.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back