Bones or Spock? The Two Faces of VolNation

VFL-82-JP

Bleedin' Orange...
Star Trek fans know what I'm talking about. Bones is the angry one, the guy driven by emotion. Spock is the calm one, bastion of cool-headed logic. They're so different, it seems amazing sometimes that they (generally) get along pretty well.

Vols fans are like that duo when it comes to the rest of the SEC. There are plenty of McCoys who don't give a crap whether it's good for the Vols or not, they just want to see Bama and Florida (and Georgia) (and Vandy, South Carolina, Mizzou, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss State, LSU, Arkansas, and A&M...oh, and even little brother Kentucky) lose. Lose, and lose some more. Lose every time they take the field. Screw those guys, we hate them. Just hate them. Lose, dammit!

Meanwhile, all the Spocks among us are pointing out that things will certainly go better for the Vols if all our opponents are (aside from losing to us) super-successful. Schedule strength goes through the roof if every team we play is 11-1 (or, you know, close as they can be in a round-robin SEC East) and ranked.

The McCoys shoot back: doesn't matter, as long as we win! Screw em!

The Spocks say, deliberately: you will be the first to complain when an 11-1 Tennessee team is left out of the playoffs because we're seen as being from the weakest Power 5 conference. That's a logical conclusion to your desires.

And the McCoys retort: F that, the SEC will NEVER be seen as anything but the best conference in America, has always been so, will always be so! So let 'em all lose!

Of course, the Spocks have to spend 15 minutes at that point drawing up some charts showing how that makes no sense.

The McCoys among us rip the charts into pieces without looking at them, stomp on them, call the Spocks some really shockingly-4-letter names, and then sit glaring.

The Spocks raise a single eyebrow.

The McCoys wander off to drown in a glass of sippin' whiskey.

This is life in VolNation when the SEC comes up. :hi:

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
McCoy: Not anymore; now we can do both at the same time! According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now, watch out! Here comes Genesis! We'll do it for you in six minutes!

Spock: Really, Dr. McCoy. You must learn to govern your passions; they will be your undoing. Logic suggests...

McCoy: Logic? My God, the man's talking about logic; we're talking about universal Armageddon! You green-blooded, inhuman...

Reactions: 3 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 18 people
Is this because I said I was pulling against all but one SEC team in your other thread?

Heh, no Eskimo, though I do think your response fits the McCoy mold. :hi:

This is based on my (admittedly relatively short, compared to many others) year and a half as a member of VolNation. Learning the collective spirit of our community.

Didn't mean to isolate on or stigmatize any one person. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Always been a huge fan of Bones. The casting in this latest reboot was absolutely spot on IMO. Such a shame about the young man playing Chekov being killed in that freak accident :/

Heh, no Eskimo, though I do think your response fits the McCoy mold. :hi:

This is based on my (admittedly relatively short, compared to many others) year and a half as a member of VolNation. Learning the collective spirit of our community.

Didn't mean to isolate on or stigmatize any one person. :)

Nah you're fine man. I was gonna put a lol at the end of what I said but thought it might sound like I was trying to be a jerk as opposed to just a light hearted response. My comment was meant purely to get a chuckle from you. Fwiw I agree that I fit the McCoy mold more so than the other but, I don't see a 1 loss SEC team being left out unless the other conferences have some really really good teams that year.

Lifelong Trekkie here.

Spot on analysis, sir.

I used to be Bones, now I'm much more Spock, but I really, really want to be Bones!!!!!!!!!! :rock:

AV

Okay, so there aren't just two sorts of people in VolNation, there are 5 1/2:

the McCoys (lots of them);
the Spocks (lots of them, too, but fewer);
the Scotties (just a few of them, led by Ed);
the Kirks (just a handful of us, too, devilishly handsome and always right);
the Uhuras (RockyTop is one of these, though she doesn't know it);
and the folks who have no clue what we're talking about. :)

Go Vols!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back