The Dooley/Kiffin effect

Dougie_D

Most of these kids were in middle school when TN was at a low.
They know how much we want it and I truely feel like that's a big reason why they commited.
When you have the opportunity to finally be that team.. It's special. Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
There's more estrogen in this title than there is on bid day @ (name the sorority) on the last morning of RUSH...

14011075-standard.jpg

Most of these kids were in middle school when TN was at a low.
They know how much we want it and I truely feel like that's a big reason why they commited.
When you have the opportunity to finally be that team.. It's special. Go Vols!

Don't know why you're including Kiffin when discussing UT at a "low". He went 7-5 here in a year where we weren't expected to do crap, and turned Cromp daddy into a legit SEC QB. It's also true that he's a major league D bag, but he wasn't terrible here.

BTW I may get flamed for this, but if he hadn't left the way he did I would love to have him as an OC

Reactions: 11 people
and the reason most were so mad when he left is because the future looked real bright under his leadership. Say what you want, but its the truth!

With walk on guards, he came within a blocked field goal on the last play to national champion Alabama. (that's why Nick hired him)

Reactions: 8 people
Crompton gives most of the credit to David Reaves, not Kiffin. Where is Reaves these days? I know he was at New Mexico at one point

Reactions: 1 person
and the reason most were so mad when he left is because the future looked real bright under his leadership. Say what you want, but its the truth!

With walk on guards, he came within a blocked field goal on the last play to national champion Alabama. (that's why Nick hired him)

Not so fast.. His recruiting was average at best

Oh, Kiffin definitely earned his share of the shame as we look back on the Vols' Dark Ages.

Not for a lack of football smarts; he has those. What Kiffin lacks is character, a set of values, integrity. He was (still is, far as I know, just bound tightly by micro-managing Saban) willing to sacrifice principle for expedience, skin deep in a job where you want someone with granite bedrock in their character.

The cancer Kiffin introduced to Tennessee had little to do with the short-term, immediate Win/Loss tally, but a great deal to do with the future health and well-being of our student-athletes, the other students associated with the team, our staff, the program, and the institution.

Yeah, definitely leave his name up there with Dooley's. They share equal blame.

Reactions: 15 people
Don't know why you're including Kiffin when discussing UT at a "low". He went 7-5 here in a year where we weren't expected to do crap, and turned Cromp daddy into a legit SEC QB. It's also true that he's a major league D bag, but he wasn't terrible here.

BTW I may get flamed for this, but if he hadn't left the way he did I would love to have him as an OC

Had he stayed, we could have become the next SMU, and faced harsh enough sanctions to turn our full attention to the basketball program. By the time we got cleared and rebuilt, some of us would call wheelchair races rather than tailgating our gameday tradition.

You can think what you want, fade, but I see keeping Kiffin around like putting Travis Henry in charge of the chastity belt keys. You do have one point. The Toronto Argonauts do need to send that staff a thank you note.

Reactions: 10 people

Kiffin was nothing but cancer to Tennessee. After him talking down our program and constantly talking trash on social media, you'd take him back? Sorry but no thanks. I think Debord is doing a fine job as our OC. Kiffin just needs to stay away from Knoxville as far as possible.

Reactions: 6 people
The kiffin/dooley effect:

kiffin was a punch to the gut. dooley was a kick to the nuts every football weekend he was here.

Reactions: 8 people
Kiffin was nothing but cancer to Tennessee. After him talking down our program and constantly talking trash on social media, you'd take him back? Sorry but no thanks. I think Debord is doing a fine job as our OC. Kiffin just needs to stay away from Knoxville as far as possible.

He's doing alright at Bama, hasn't really been a cancer to them has he?

Reactions: 2 people
He's doing alright at Bama, hasn't really been a cancer to them has he?

He's not the guy in charge there, is he? Makes a big difference, especially when the guy he's working for is such a control freak as Saban. Keeps the idiocy locked down (as far as we know, anyway...for all we know, Saban has had to put out some quiet, behind-the-scenes fires there, as well).

Reactions: 7 people
Kiffin was alright as a coach but definitely not a genius. I'll give you the 2009 Ole Miss game as Exhibit A for that point.

I think that where he hurt the program more was in the whole recruiting arena. He did clear out a few bad characters from the Fulmer era but he promptly replaced them with plenty of his own bad characters and academic underachievers. Then Hostessgate really put the AD and Dooley's staff in a posture where they could not push the envelope even an inch when it came to recruiting.

Another downside of that year was the whole entry scene of making UTK into the USC of the East, basically tossing out all of the Vol traditions so he and Orgeron could recycle their barechested locker room shenanigans. That whole thing did a lot to damage the brand and relationships with certain key alumni and donors, although I think that Butch has done a lot to rebuild those burned bridges.

Reactions: 2 people
He's not the guy in charge there, is he? Makes a big difference, especially when the guy he's working for is such a control freak as Saban. Keeps the idiocy locked down (as far as we know, anyway...for all we know, Saban has had to put out some quiet, behind-the-scenes fires there, as well).

Which is why I said I'd like to have him as a OC, UNDER Butch, who is also a control freak. No way in hades it happens, but I'd take him.

Which is why I said I'd like to have him as a OC, UNDER Butch, who is also a control freak. No way in hades it happens, but I'd take him.

It would make our AD look pretty stupid to hire our formal head coach who has no respect for our program whatsoever don't you think? Hell I'd take Fulmer as our OC before I ever take Kiffin. At least Fulmer gives a damn about our program and doesn't trash talk us on Twitter like a child. Good grief son.

Reactions: 4 people
NO matter what anyone says about Dooley as a coach, with the exception of Oline he left us in a better place depth wise than he came into and gave Butch a good foundation to build on. Kiffin had a fire sale and a nightmare recruiting class and honestly who can say had SC never come calling if it would have worked and he would still be our coach? Remember a good number of these guys on this team contributing are from Dooleys last class while most of Kiffins guys were gone before Dooleys second year.

No matter what anyone says about the guy I think Dooley did the best he could and he would have eventually had us winning again thought not at the level Butch seems to be heading. TBH I think he was put in an impossible situation and if not for him there could be no butch because had it not been for Kiffin and Dooley we wouldn't have had the patience for Brick by Brick. i honestly think no coach could have turned the dumpster fire Dooley was handed around much better than he did. The nail in his coffin was hiring Sunseri and switching to the 3-4. You cant just switch base D like that in one year at the college level when you have been recruiting for 4-3 the past 30 years. Even in the pros where they have guys that are much more multi talented and can bring in free agents it takes a year or 2 for such a transition.

Last edited:
It would make our AD look pretty stupid to hire our formal head coach who has no respect for our program whatsoever don't you think? Hell I'd take Fulmer as our OC before I ever take Kiffin. At least Fulmer gives a damn about our program and doesn't trash talk us on Twitter like a child. Good grief son.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit is it. I said, HAD HE NOT LEFT THE WAY HE DID, I would take him as an OC.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back