Hotel recommendations

WesternNCVol

Coming over Thursday morning and looking for decent place close enough to uber or cab ride in. Any hotels have a shuttle? Which area is best to look in? Don't want to drop a ton on a one night stay but don't want cheap ghetto room either.

Coming over Thursday morning and looking for decent place close enough to uber or cab ride in. Any hotels have a shuttle? Which area is best to look in? Don't want to drop a ton on a one night stay but don't want cheap ghetto room either.

4 of the 6 hotels at the Papermill Road exit are new. The Red Roof is an old Holiday Inn, but it's recently remodeled. Travel Lodge is in the worst shape.

Papermill Road is west. The cheaper rooms are 10+\- miles up I-75 North. Merchants Road, Emory Road, Callahan Road.

4 of the 6 hotels at the Papermill Road exit are new. The Red Roof is an old Holiday Inn, but it's recently remodeled. Travel Lodge is in the worst shape.

Papermill Road is west. The cheaper rooms are 10+\- miles up I-75 North. Merchants Road, Emory Road, Callahan Road.

I wouldn't stay at any of the hotels on Callahan.

Check Strawberry Plains, thats close in enough.

Try the Holiday Inn/Powell...it is north, surrounded by things you need, and has a shuttle/is10 minutes from the stadium.

Knights Inn on Callahan. Active nightlife there.

Also Scottish Inn on Callahan. Ask for the Johnny Majors suite.

Reactions: 3 people
I like staying north off of Emory or east off of Strawberry Plains Pike.

My family has stayed at Comfort Suites in Farragut for decades. Rooms nice and very quiet. You should be able to get room for under $150 which includes taxes.

If you're looking for just a basic room, the Motel 6 and Ramada Inn off Strawberry Plains exit are clean and safe. Plus if you're coming in from NC, they're on the east side of town.

The Motel 6 used to run a shuttle.

what is your price point? around 110-150 will get you within 10 mins of campus but this Thursday, its going to be a mess. If you can get here around 3 you may have a better shot at missing traffic. Downtown Marriot has rooms for 200ish and you can walk from there so by the time you uber and stay its almost a wash

Hotels in Alcoa near the airport are convenient and mostly newer or updated. Published cab fares from the airport are $25 each way. Nearby hotel rates are probably similar.

As an example, La Quinta room rates for Thursday's game are $142 Wednesday, $149 Thursday, $129 Friday and $105 Saturday, two day minimum. They do not have a free shuttle, but use Rocky Top Shuttle Service, est. $20 each way.

Others are probably similar.

It is about 13-14 miles to Neyland Stadium, usually about 20 minutes but a little longer on game days. Four lane highway straight into town with no traffic lights or congestion until you get to Neyland Dr. There is construction this year, but all lanes are usually open and traffic is flowing with minimal delays.

P.S. Avoid "budget" hotels on Alcoa Hwy.

Last edited:
Check Strawberry Plains, thats close in enough.

That's where we always stay - LaQuinta and I am pretty sure they run a shuttle bus. Eat at Puelos' which is IN the parking lot.....you can walk (or stumble depending on how much you drink) to the hotel and the food is great !

There's one room type left at the Downtown Marriott for 299$. Everywhere else (Crowne Plaza, Hampton, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Hilton Garden, Sheraton) downtown isn't available for that night. Try calling Maplehurst B&B. One of the closest "inns" to the stadium and often times is overlooked.

It appears that the Magnuson may be closed. The reviews circa 2013 on Trip Advisor are priceless.

FWIW, I noticed a lot of people taking naps on the grass or sleeping in their cars after the OK game last year.

LOL. The Magnuson used to be the old Howard Johnson next to West Town Mall. Last time I checked the lobby bar was a cougar bar called Babe's Lounge. Used to go there once in a while when I was in college at UT with some buddies just so we could get a good story out of the night. Priceless.

More like a swingers bar but that's moved to twisted mikes now

It appears that the Magnuson may be closed. The reviews circa 2013 on Trip Advisor are priceless.

FWIW, I noticed a lot of people taking naps on the grass or sleeping in their cars after the OK game last year.

I needed some good reading material, thanks!

VN Store

Back