I don't know how this season will turn out but I do know

wmcovol

This team has been as focused as any team I recall in the last 20 yrs. No crazy, stupid stuff, players working hard, losing weight where needed, gaining weight and strength where needed, rehabbing injuries , etc. Leadership is all over the field.

Reactions: 7 people
Remember all the folks on here who make fun of Butchisms like personal responsibility, player led team, own it, brick by brick, 1% better each and every day. Sounds like someone paid attention, probably because it was demanded by the coaching staff as part of the player development. Apparently Butch knew what type of environment he wanted to establish when he took over and went about making it happen.

Say what you will about his on the field coaching, but when we play, I see a well prepared team that doesn't make many penalties or make too many stupid mistakes. You can look at special teams play and see his influence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
After many years of following the Vols, I can't count how many years I've been super excited prior to the season, but the recent drought makes 2016 the most important for me
Go Vols

Reactions: 2 people
Was thinking of starting a similar post but with a slightly different slant. I fully want this team to achieve to its highest potential, but if they hit a bump in the road somewhere, they will still be one of my all time favorite teams. They are a team with character as opposed to a team of characters. They epitomize the word TEAM. The senior and upper class leadership is phenomenal. I sense no quit in this group of young men. It will be a blast to watch how this season unfolds. May the football gods, who have of late, been taking away start giving back to us this year. GBO :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
If we play as good as this team seems to be ready & capable of playing, evabody betta watch out for the VOLS! Can't wait til Thursday!!!....and Bristol!

intangibles have not been, nor are they, the problem. effort, preparation etc....are not the issue....

Sunday thru friday CBJ has done everything you're supposed to do to rebuild a program like UT's.

all that's left is to get some results against some of these key opponents on Saturdays....

time for team 120 to do just that.

intangibles have not been, nor are they, the problem. effort, preparation etc....are not the issue....

Sunday thru friday CBJ has done everything you're supposed to do to rebuild a program like UT's.

all that's left is to get some results against some of these key opponents on Saturdays....

time for team 120 to do just that.

Spot on 4.....spot on.

See, the thing is, intangibles WERE the problem. A cancer at the core of our program. And it has taken a lot of work by Butch & Co. to excise it.

He said coming in that the way he was approaching the task, it would take several years to return the program to prominence. He acknowledged that his way was not the "quick fix" way, and that patience would be required, but that we would return to championship level football. Brick by brick.

Too many on these boards, myself included at times, took that as just coach-speak. Thing is, he was being intellectually honest, as well as sincere. Too many of us thought he was just talking about a full recruiting cycle. A roster of player talent. Thing is, he was talking about far more than that: about a culture, and way of approaching life and football. A winning spirit. A team-first focus.

And here we are.

So let's don't be TOO quick to say that intangibles and values and culture have not ben the problem. To do that is to sell short the huge strides our program has made in just a few years.

Let's lift that up and celebrate it, even as we're hoping that this is the season we take the final step back into championship contention.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
See, the thing is, intangibles WERE the problem. A cancer at the core of our program. And it has taken a lot of work by Butch & Co. to excise it.

He said coming in that the way he was approaching the task, it would take several years to return the program to prominence. He acknowledged that his way was not the "quick fix" way, and that patience would be required, but that we would return to championship level football. Brick by brick.

Too many on these boards, myself included at times, took that as just coach-speak. Thing is, he was being intellectually honest, as well as sincere. Too many of us thought he was just talking about a full recruiting cycle. A roster of player talent. Thing is, he was talking about far more than that: about a culture, and way of approaching life and football. A winning spirit. A team-first focus.

And here we are.

So let's don't be TOO quick to say that intangibles and values and culture have not ben the problem. To do that is to sell short the huge strides our program has made in just a few years.

Let's lift that up and celebrate it, even as we're hoping that this is the season we take the final step back into championship contention.

Go Vols!

I agree. Previous teams collectively didn't have the right attitude, discipline, or work ethic to win difficult games and it showed. You play how you practice.

I heard Butch speak last year and he alluded to the fact that a lot of kids in Knoxville on football scholarship had achieved their goal. It was to go to a SEC school on scholarship...it wasn't to succeed there or go on to the next level....their goal was accomplished on signing day. I think CBJ has changed that.

VN Store

Back