CFN Preview & pick: Vols vs. Appy State

Why Tennessee Will Win

Okay, Appalachian State is good, but Tennessee could come out and end this thing right away with a few good early scoring drives.

The Mountaineer receiving corps shouldn’t be able to do much of anything against the Volunteer secondary, and while Marcus Cox might be a terrific back, Tennessee has had a whole offseason to focus on stopping him. Hold the ASU ground game to next to nothing, and the offense won’t work. Get up 14-0, and Tennessee can coast.

Being hyped up as the IT team can swing both ways. While it jacks up the opponent and cranks up the expectations, there’s also a reason why the Vols are supposed to be in for a good season. It’s a Thursday night game on the opening weekend with everyone paying attention – it might really be football time in Tennessee if all the parts come out working.

What’s Going To Happen?

Appalachian State is really, really good – and it’s about to run into a buzzsaw. Tennessee will look the part from the opening kickoff with a sharp, focused effort that puts this away after the first quarter. The Mountaineers will convert points off a few second half takeaways, but it won’t be nearly enough.

Tennessee vs. Appalachian State Prediction

Final Score: Tennessee 44, Appalachian State 17

Reactions: 11 people
While I don't particularly have any ill feelings about Appy State, come on, they do not have the talent and depth we have. Their coaching staff is not on the same level and we play in a tougher conference. Something like 44-17. We going to whip de azz!

I think App will score more than some think. We will win easily but they will put up 21-24 points imo.

Not alot of faith in our defence?

I have a lot of faith but its not about that. Our first string defense may not play the whole game, especially if the game is completely out of hand in say the middle of the 3rd.

Also, App St has a good offense. I am not worried about them in any way but few could argue that their offense isnt good. A score can happen in any number of ways, a missed tackle, blown coverage, slip and fall or turnover. All things that can happen to even the BEST defenses. These things can happen.

Now we may shut them out or hold them to very little points and if that happens then I will be happy with that. Will I be upset or surprised if they put up 21-24 on us? Not in the least. Go Vols.

I think App will score more than some think. We will win easily but they will put up 21-24 points imo.

I actually think the opposite, BOT. This may be Shoop's calling card game to start off the season. It's quite possible App State doesn't score a single point. Not saying likely, but still quite possible.

I have a lot of faith but its not about that. Our first string defense may not play the whole game, especially if the game is completely out of hand in say the middle of the 3rd.

Also, App St has a good offense. I am not worried about them in any way but few could argue that their offense isnt good. A score can happen in any number of ways, a missed tackle, blown coverage, slip and fall or turnover. All things that can happen to even the BEST defenses. These things can happen.

Now we may shut them out or hold them to very little points and if that happens then I will be happy with that. Will I be upset or surprised if they put up 21-24 on us? Not in the least. Go Vols.

It may depend on how App's coach decided to call the game as well, imo. By that I mean does he decide to throw the book at us or does he decide to play more vanilla and wait for conference play before he shows his hand. I'm pretty sure this is the first year that they are eligible to win the conference and I wonder if they would rather focus on that instead of revealing too much in an attempt to beat us.

It may depend on how App's coach decided to call the game as well, imo. By that I mean does he decide to throw the book at us or does he decide to play more vanilla and wait for conference play before he shows his hand. I'm pretty sure this is the first year that they are eligible to win the conference and I wonder if they would rather focus on that instead of revealing too much in an attempt to beat us.

They're gonna bring everything they have. Nothing could help them more than knocking off Tennessee and ending a dream season early.

Reactions: 1 person
They're gonna bring everything they have. Nothing could help them more than knocking off Tennessee and ending a dream season early.

I disagree, sure it'd be big news and a huge win for them but winning their conference so soon could be a much bigger step for them and would be a nice trophy to put in their case. I do think it could depend on which one the coach would rather have this season though.

Edit: I should say I don't fully disagree, just that I think winning their conference would be more meaningful to the App program as opposed to one win, albeit a big one, in the long run.

Last edited:
I actually think the opposite, BOT. This may be Shoop's calling card game to start off the season. It's quite possible App State doesn't score a single point. Not saying likely, but still quite possible.

Maybe they some garbage points like Vandy did last season

Im pretty sure since "the" upset, App St hasnt scored no more than 14pts vs a power 5 team. (Could be wrong but i did read that somewhere) During that time Va Tech hung like 66 on them.

So since gaining giant slayer status in 2007, in 8 years of play since they have not been able to muster up no more than 2 td's vs any power 5 opponent.

They may very well rip off more this thursday but id call for something very close to that. Maybe 10pts vs the 1's, mid 3rd qrt when our 2's and 3's start to enter the game a break down in coverage or INT/TO may lead to more points. My guess is 52-17.

Yeah, it's possible that our defense "wakes up slow" the way it did last year. Heck, I don't think our defense was truly firing on all cylinders until the Georgia game.

On the other hand, Shoop.

I just don't see this happening. Other than LB, we have so much depth and competition for PT such that I see little to no drop off when we get the big lead and start subbing. We've got a lot of DB's and DL who will be playing their tails off hoping to impress Shoop in order to gain more PT against VT. I see very little drop off in the D regardless of the score. Shoop may quit dialing up the blitz a bit, but I don't see App State laying 3 TD's on our second strig vanilla D. JMO, IMHO, TIFWIW, AARP

Shoop will not be on the field...

Shoop will not be on the field...

Oh, yes, he will, acting through the arms, legs, eyes and brains of 11 of his crew at a time.

Leadership is a funny thing, it extends well beyond the physical reach of the leader, and is amazingly powerful when applied well.

App State is better than some bottom dweller SEC teams in my opinion. This isn't going to be a 56-3 kind of game. Like bowling green last year, they will probably end up winning their conference.

If the D gives up 24 to AS, then we have certainly overstated our talent and belief in Shoop.

From the article:
The Mountaineer receiving corps shouldn’t be able to do much of anything against the Volunteer secondary, and while Marcus Cox might be a terrific back, Tennessee has had a whole offseason to focus on stopping him. Hold the ASU ground game to next to nothing, and the offense won’t work. Get up 14-0, and Tennessee can coast.

I'm really not very comfortable with that last sentence. Does this guy know Tennessee's 2015 story-line?

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back