Dobbs a better passer than most believe

TNinOR

Blood = Orange HEX F77F00
There was an interesting read today by journalist Kevin King on blastingnews.com (Tennessee Volunteers Football - Dobbs much more than passing numbers indicate).

He says, "UT quarterback [Dobbs] is much closer to where he needs to be than conventional wisdom may lead you to believe," and offers a couple of examples to prove his point:

At the 5:35 mark of the 3rd quarter with UT leading [Florida] 20-14, Tennessee had just returned Florida's kickoff to the Vols 40. On first down, Josh Smith ran a wheel route out of the backfield. Dobbs correctly recognized that [but if] he led the receiver, Florida's safety would be able to make a play on the ball. So, he threw the ball short and high--again, the correct play--so his receiver was the only one who could make the catch. Smith went up and let the ball slip through his hands.

A successful catch and it's first and ten at the Florida 38. Instead, Tennessee lost four yards on the next two plays and punted from their 36. Smith dropping the ball isn't world shattering; players drop passes. Still, a catch surely would have helped to know the eventual game outcome, but so it goes.

What is inexcusable to me was the game analyst, a former college and pro player who has 20 some odd years of being an analyst, called the whole thing wrong. The play by play guy--correctly--said the ball went through the receiver's hands. The analyst jumped in and said if Dobbs had thrown the pass properly, Smith likely catches it in stride and makes a big play.

If Dobbs had led the receiver, the Florida defender--clearly in the picture--either breaks it up or intercepts the pass. If Smith had made the catch where he was, it was a 22 yard gain and a first down inside the Florida 40 before he tries to elude the defender. That is a big play.

Example two is when Tennessee ran the same play to the other side to Kamara with 50 left on first and 15 from their 37 and the Vols behind 28 - 27. This time, the receiver slowed and made the catch at the Florida 44 for a first down. Again, if Dobbs leads the receiver, it is an interception or breaks up. In this case, the receiver made the catch, and it was the biggest play of that drive.

On the first play, instead of correcting himself on the spot, the analyst decided to roll with the quarterback making a bad pass. As a result, everyone watching was led to believe what was an excellent decision and play the quarterback was instead a bad throw.

That analyst assessment stuck and was repeated by others throughout the year.

Makes sense to me. No doubt there is room for improvement by both our quarterback and his receivers, but maybe we are in for a very pleasant surprise this year as Joshua proves his detractors wrong in a big way? I predict we are.

Reactions: 18 people
I would say he probably has drastically improved (Older and more experience)

Actually he must have cause from what I have seen from the true Freshman. that dude can sling it better then most and he's gonna red shirt. You guys are set at QB for the next 4 years!

Reactions: 3 people
There was an interesting read today by journalist Kevin King on blastingnews.com (Tennessee Volunteers Football - Dobbs much more than passing numbers indicate).

He says, "UT quarterback [Dobbs] is much closer to where he needs to be than conventional wisdom may lead you to believe," and offers a couple of examples to prove his point:

Makes sense to me. No doubt there is room for improvement by both our quarterback and his receivers, but maybe we are in for a very pleasant surprise this year as Joshua proves his detractors wrong in a big way? I predict we are.

This wasn't the only example of it from last year. The receivers often lacked situational awareness, which made some passes look way worse than they were. He had his fair share of mistakes but we wouldn't remember them as much with some stronger receiver play.

Reactions: 6 people
I've said this a million times. After a while I learned it's a waste of time to keep talking about it.

Season is right around the corner.

Atheists will believe soon enough.

On a side note, while watching halftime of the Cal-Hawaii game, "analyst" Jonathan Vilma just said he'd take Greg Ward, Jr over Baker Mayfield and "it's not even close". What a blithering idiot. It's one thing to try to make the case that Ward is better....still a tough thing to do, but okay, I'll listen. But "not even close"?.....what a buffoon.

Ok, back to the D4H article on Dobbs.

Reactions: 6 people
I wonder if part of the lack of passing yards could be because we were in close games and Dobbs chose not to make riskier throws?..better defense might open the offense up to taking more chances

Reactions: 1 person
On a side note, while watching halftime of the Cal-Hawaii game, "analyst" Jonathan Vilma just said he'd take Greg Ward, Jr over Baker Mayfield and "it's not even close". What a blithering idiot. It's one thing to try to make the case that Ward is better....still a tough thing to do, but okay, I'll listen. But "not even close"?.....what a buffoon.

Ok, back to the D4H article on Dobbs.

Lol

I like Dobbs because I think hes an all around good QB. I think he is an adequate passer and a very good runner. Having said that, your wasting your breath trying to convince people that he doesnt have his struggles with accuracy. You can try to twist it or blame it on whatever you want to but at the end of the day he's missed a lot of passes that cant be blamed on anybody but him. He's got plenty of room for improvement when it comes to being a passer but if I was to give him a grade as an overall QB, he's a solid B or B+ in my book. His passing must improve to get an A from me.

Last edited:
These are our 2015 receiver stats from Football outsiders. I understand the accuracy for Hurd/Kamara but Pearson did pretty good; so did Wolf. Jennings & Croom weren't too bad either.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 27 07.11.jpg
    ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 27 07.11.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 32
Dobbs is the leader of this team, and he does enough good things to get this team to 10 wins. But he's not a great passer, but he's good enough to get the team to the SECC

Reactions: 2 people

Well, you can take predictions, opinions, and $1.70 to waffle house and it will get you a cup of coffee.

Some are tired of Dobbs being doubted. And some want to tell us he will pass better, or his receivers will improve. I say make it happen.

Reactions: 2 people
Based on the few practice videos I saw it looks like Dobbs has improved his throwing, but that's just me. With a healthier receiving corps and a deeper, improved O-Line his stats will go up by default anyways.

Dobbs is the leader of this team, and he does enough good things to get this team to 10 wins. But he's not a great passer, but he's good enough to get the team to the SECC

I think its a little ridiculous that everyone is skeptical of UTs chances bc of Dpbbs. The guy is still really good and a great runner and leader. We have an incredible run game and should have a pretty good defense. Since when was that not enough to win a conference championship?

VN Store

Back