From the Hokey perspective:

Good read. It feels nice to be the logical choice to win against decent teams again. This article could have been written the past few years by replacing VT for UT and inserting whatever good SEC opponent and slapped on 247.

Reactions: 2 people
he says we lost a lot on defense last year...what? exact quote...They lost plenty of defensive talent last year, and their defensive line is pretty young overall.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't expect this game to get lopsided. I think VT will be a decent test. I'd take a 10-14 pt victory and run with it..

Reactions: 4 people
An interesting article from VaTech.
Preview: the VT Hokies vs the UT Volunteers - Gobbler Country

The writer seems to have minimized the expectations, and states that he does not expect a win.

:hi:

Most of Hokie Nation agrees with this article and does not expect a win. We hope for one, but definitely do not expect one. We have some homers like every other team that thinks we will be National Title contenders every year...other's like myself are realists. New coach, new offense, some really good quality skill position players and a pretty good defense = IMHO a positive step forward in getting back to national relevance. LB play will be the key to success on the D, but the offense will be vastly improved. (Only way is up, cause its been a dumpster fire for 3 years!)

Reactions: 11 people
he says we lost a lot on defense last year...what? exact quote...They lost plenty of defensive talent last year, and their defensive line is pretty young overall.

He says we lost plenty of defensive talent, but return 8 starters. Does this writer understand the concept of contradiction?

Most of Hokie Nation agrees with this article and does not expect a win. We hope for one, but definitely do not expect one. We have some homers like every other team that thinks we will be National Title contenders every year...other's like myself are realists. New coach, new offense, some really good quality skill position players and a pretty good defense = IMHO a positive step forward in getting back to national relevance. LB play will be the key to success on the D, but the offense will be vastly improved. (Only way is up, cause its been a dumpster fire for 3 years!)

Call us for sympathy when it's been a dumpster fire for 6-10 years

Reactions: 17 people
Hope not....I think Fuente will correct the deficiencies on the offense...pretty quickly.
Many VOLS fans thought Dooley would correct ours and we really got a kick in the teeth for our early support. Not saying Fuente's a Dooley, just that you never know. Here's hoping you don't end up with an air thief like we previously did. I wouldn't want any fan base to experience that.

Well.....except, maybe Bama

or......, Florida

and heck....., throw Georgia, SC, Vandy in there also.
:crazy:

Reactions: 11 people
He says we lost plenty of defensive talent, but return 8 starters. Does this writer understand the concept of contradiction?

I think he is referring to the injuries during the year which negatively influenced the defensive results.?.?

Maybe he is couching his phrase to indicate that the stats from last year are not indicative of the expected performance.

How long do you think expect it to take for the O to really get going? I wasn't thinking it would be about mid season for y'all, would love to VT take out Clemson in the ACC champ, if they both were to make it.

Last edited:
Many VOLS fans thought Dooley would correct ours and we really got a kick in the teeth for our early support. Not saying Fuente's a Dooley, just that you never know. Here's hoping you don't end up with an air thief like we previously did. I wouldn't want any fan base to experience that.

Well.....except, maybe Bama

or......, Florida

and heck....., throw Georgia, SC, Vandy in there also.
:crazy:

Lol Vandy doesn't need any help at sucking

I think Fuente will be a solid hire for the Hokies. It may take a year or 2, but this guy won a lot of games at a dumpster fire of a program. The ACC, while looking to be improved, is still 4th or 5th among the power conferences. They could win sooner rather than later.

I actually didn't care for keeping Foster as DC. He was as good as anyone in his hey day, but that D hasn't been as good the last couple of years. Plus it usually works better for a head coach to bring in his own guy. There are always exceptions, and this certainly could be. But Foster wanted that job pretty bad. How well will he work for a new, younger boss in the job he really wanted? Time will tell.

"The last time Virginia Tech played Tennessee was Tyrod Taylor’s junior year, wherein we stomped the heck out of Lane Kiffin’s team in the second half and were (well, hopefully) one of the forces behind him scurrying away to USC in a cloud of violations and unmet expectations."

The opposite, actually. Kiffin had a good idea he was bolting for SC and spent more time planning how to take our recruits with him than gameplanning for VT. UT was unprepared and unfocused, which is why VT was able to "stomp the heck" out of us. It would be nice to make this a statement game and stomp the heck out of them in return, but more than likely, we'll go conservative in the 2nd half, and the game will be a lot closer than it should be.

He lost me at his defensive analysis. We return nearly all the talent and have added depth and Kongbo. We also have a new aggressive DC that loves to use pressure and will disguise assignments/blitzers.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back