Which schools should be considered college football royalty?

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Alabama Crimson Tide, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Ohio State Buckeyes, Oklahoma Sooners, USC Trojans lead the list of college football blue bloods

15. Tennessee Volunteers | 8.08Tennessee has won 13 SEC titles and two national championships, one under Bob Neyland (for whom the stadium is named) and one under Phillip Fulmer. Fulmer's title-winning quarterback was not NFL great Peyton Manning, who was drafted No. 1 overall after the previous season. It was current USC offensive coordinator Tee Martin. The Vols are the first team on the list to not have a Heisman trophy winner.

I say we should be in the top 10 but what do I know

This may be not picking the topic but I would argue none. There is no divine right to rule in college football. Everyone is one stupid hire or one major scandal away from falling from favor and prominence.

They'll treat you like a prince when you're on top but everyone is a slip away from a pauper.

In no particular order:

USC
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Michigan
Ohio State
Alabama
Tennessee
Penn State
Miami
Nebraska

Kind of torn on Florida State and Florida.

Reactions: 2 people
Is 2 national championships really the official total? I thought it was more than that.

This is tricky for me because as I get older I am less impressed by past accomplishments of yesteryear.

Example: Oklahoma and Nebraska got to their win totals by beating who? Each other. I know Oklahoma always plays Texas. But as Nebraska has moved into a more competitive situation, the conference titles and dominance they once knew have vanished.

I have the ability to watch teams now and see that the records are deceptive. Notre Dame and Georgia were both 10-3 last season. A 10-3 record is impressive. The problem? They didn't beat anybody.

Another example. Oklahoma won the 1956 National Title. Oklahoma played one ranked opponent all season....Colorado. Colorado also was the only conference opponent to finish the season with a winning record besides Oklahoma.

Am I supposed to be impressed by that when you think of today's standards. Hell, to win a national title today, you have to play 3 ranked opponents in a row to end the season. Your conference title game and the 2 opponents in the playoff.

Back in the day, Miami won its national titles by playing in the Orange Bowl. How's that sound? Those "Da U" teams that were so awesome. Anyone remember what happened to them when they played outside the Orange Bowl. Hello, Sugar Bowl against Tennessee. Hello, Fiesta Bowl against Penn State. Hello, Sugar Bowl against Alabama. Makes a difference when you aren't playing a home game against the winner of the Nebraska-Oklahoma game.

It's just so hard to really judge this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I looked this up as another example.

40% of Nebraska's wins all time have come against Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Colorado.

Reactions: 6 people
Hopefully, when UT wins 5 of the next 10 national titles, more outsiders will think of us...

And TN beat LSU 20 times.

Can play devil's advocate with this line of thinking too.

Tennessee has losing records vs. Florida, Alabama, and Auburn and is .500 all time vs. Georgia.

So, against what I grew up with and knew as the SEC, Tennessee has a winning record vs. Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, and LSU.

That's it.

Is that line of thinking fair? You could make an argument by suggesting....what if they had played Florida and Georgia every year beginning in 1933 (or pick a year)? What would the record be?

A counter argument would be....of the 4 major conference opponents who appeared on your schedule at one point in time or another (Bama and Auburn before division and expansion, Florida and Georgia afterward).....Tennessee doesn't have a winning record against any of them.

On the other hand, Georgia only has a losing record vs. Alabama. Would that put Georgia at #2 in the SEC?

So, there are a lot of ways to look at this.

40% of Nebraska's wins all time have come against Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Colorado.[/QUOTE]

It is hard to say....I was thinking that any team with winning % > 70 and who has won over 800 games deserves to be there....

That would yield:

Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and USC.

If you include teams with > 40 bowl game appearances with .500 or better records in the Bowls...you add:

Georgia, Tennessee, LSU, Florida, Penn State, Florida State, Auburn, and Georgia Tech.

It's interesting to note that Michigan, Ohio State, and Arkansas have been to more than 40 bowl games and have won less than half of those games....Notre Dame has been to 35 bowl games at .486 winning %....

If I had to pick 4 programs that DESERVE to be ROYALTY because of NC, Bowl wins, and program wins--it would be:

1. Alabama going away should be #1....
2. Texas
3. Southern Cal
4. Oklahoma

:salute:
Go Vols!

Tennessee has losing records vs. Florida, Alabama, and Auburn and is .500 all time vs. Georgia.

So, against what I grew up with and knew as the SEC, Tennessee has a winning record vs. Vandy, Kentucky, Mississippi, Mississippi State, and LSU.

That's it.

Is that line of thinking fair? You could make an argument by suggesting....what if they had played Florida and Georgia every year beginning in 1933 (or pick a year)? What would the record be?

A counter argument would be....of the 4 major conference opponents who appeared on your schedule at one point in time or another (Bama and Auburn before division and expansion, Florida and Georgia afterward).....Tennessee doesn't have a winning record against any of them.

On the other hand, Georgia only has a losing record vs. Alabama. Would that put Georgia at #2 in the SEC?

We're 22-21 against Georgia. Doesn't really change your point, but hey its a winning record

That's it.

How old are you ? 10 or 12 years old?? Because TN had all time winning records against Florida and Georgia until these last few years and TN was almost back to even with Bama until this recent downturn.

Reactions: 5 people
How old are you ? 10 or 12 years old?? Because TN had all time winning records against Florida and Georgia until these last few years and TN was almost back to even with Bama until this recent downturn.

So only the years where we were better should count?

So only the years where we were better should count?

He was saying what he grew up knowing - I was pointing out until very recently TN held leads against GA and Florida. SO unless he is very young what he grew up knowing was TN being the 2nd best team in the SEC.

He was saying what he grew up knowing - I was pointing out until very recently TN held leads against GA and Florida. SO unless he is very young what he grew up knowing was TN being the 2nd best team in the SEC.

Ah, I see

I thought he was implying not Mizzou and not A&M with that part

I looked this up as another example.

40% of Nebraska's wins all time have come against Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Missouri and Colorado.

Regardless, they where still better. Its not comparing those Nebraska teams to these Bama teams. Its about who has been the most dominating and most trophy winning teams from beginning to now, consistently. I see it like movies. Looking in the earliest time of films most are seen as not very good compared to today's standards of cinematic quality, acting, action, realistic props etc but there was some really good films back in the dark ages, and they may not all stack up to movies of the modern time but for their time they were great. I especially think of directors in that sense like Hitchcock.

VN Store

Back