How has Appalachian State faired against power 5 since Michigan..

Loweboy

Who can forget Appalachian State’s 34-32 win over No. 5 Michigan in 2007? The Week 1 matchup was supposed to be a tune-up game for the heavily-favored Wolverines and instead became the biggest FCS-FBS upset in College Football history.

Appalachian State is hoping to find that same success exactly nine years later at No. 9 Tennessee. The Mountaineers look to spoil another heavily-favored opponent’s hopes of kicking off its season with a big win at home.

However, App State lost each of its games against Power 5 teams since its upset in the Big House. In fact, the Mountaineers have been outscored by a 41.9 to 11.7 margin, according to Jimmy Hyams of WNML in Knoxville.

(1/2) Since upsetting Michigan, Appalachian State has lost 41-13 to LSU (2008), 48-10 to Florida (2010), 66-13 to Virginia Tech (2011) ….

— Jimmy Hyams (@JimmyHyams) August 24, 2016

(2/2) 45-9 to Georgia (2013), 52-14 to Michigan (2014), 41-10 to Clemson (2015). That’s an average margin of 41.9 to 11.7 to Power 5 teams

— Jimmy Hyams (@JimmyHyams) August 24, 2016

So yeah, history could repeat itself, but its far less likely than a blowout in Tennessee’s favor.

Article by Saturday Down South.

Reactions: 6 people
Not well. I've been at all of them. Some of them have been absolutely horrible. Some were closer until the age old issue of depth came into play.

I can't see next Thursday's game being close. I'm still pumped. It'll be football season again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Not well. I've been at all of them. Some of them have been absolutely horrible. Some were closer until the age old issue depth came into play.

I can't see next Thursday's game being close. I'm still pumped. It'll be football season again!

Welcome to the board.

Would love to hear from you about the strengths and weaknesses of your team.

Reactions: 3 people
Somewhere in the ballpark of 42-17 Vols. App St will score once early and then our D will settle in. UT will score early and often running vanilla offense. Some time after half-time starters will sit, we'll run the ball to control clock, and the score will end up something close to the above.

Somewhere in the ballpark of 42-17 Vols. App St will score once early and then our D will settle in. UT will score early and often running vanilla offense. Some time after half-time starters will sit, we'll run the ball to control clock, and the score will end up something close to the above.

I'd be happy with that ... and no thunderstorms.

Reactions: 2 people
2015 - Blown out by Clemson 41- 10
2014 - Blown out by Michigan 52-14
2013 - Blown out by Georgia 45-6
2012 - Blown out by E. Carolina - 35-13
2011 - Blown out by Virginia Tech - 66-13
2010 - Blown out by Florida - 48 -10
No power 5 team scheduled in 2009
2008 - Blown out by LSU - 48-10
2007 - Beat Michigan 34-32

47.8 - 12.2

since Michigan

They never scored more than 14 and never gave up less than 35

Last edited:
Not well. I've been at all of them. Some of them have been absolutely horrible. Some were closer until the age old issue of depth came into play.

I use to live right down the road from Boone (Granite Falls) and I enjoyed some Mountaineer games, good tradition, loyal fans...........can't wait to see them in Neyland.

Go Vols!

Appy State gonna get straight up murdered.

With that in mind I hope its a clean game, no one gets hurt.

Hey! Michigan thought they were going to blow out the Appalachian State Mountaineers back in 2007 before they went outside to play a football game. They did not score enough and did not...what?...oh nm. :unsure:

Hey! Michigan thought they were going to blow out the Appalachian State Mountaineers back in 2007 before they went outside to play a football game. They did not score enough and did not...what?...oh nm. :unsure:

Not only that, but does everybody know who was on that Michigan staff just a short 10 seasons ago? Huh? Anybody? ....... You got it, none other than both Mike DeBord and Steve Stripling!! Is that a coincidence? I think not. We better come ready boys and bring our "A" game or we in trouble.

Reactions: 1 person
that win against a mediocre michigan team was a fluke! UT will beat app state like a rented mule---52-10! bet the house!

Not only that, but does everybody know who was on that Michigan staff just a short 10 seasons ago? Huh? Anybody? ....... You got it, none other than both Mike DeBord and Steve Stripling!! Is that a coincidence? I think not. We better come ready boys and bring our "A" game or we in trouble.

Season cancelled, go home everyone.

Astute as always KB. They're bound to forget one of the most epic upsets in sports history...that they were on the short end of. If we go into this expecting to win, we're just being ignorant and elitist. We need to lose sleep wondering how we could possibly mess up. Of course we're not playing, but don't toss out the bathtub with the bathwater. :nono:

that win against a mediocre michigan team was a fluke! UT will beat app state like a rented mule---52-10! bet the house!

Honestly though-that Michigan team was not that bad. Finished the year 9-4 and beat Tebow and Florida in the Citrus Bowl.

Astute as always KB. They're bound to forget one of the most epic upsets in sports history...that they were on the short end of. If we go into this expecting to win, we're just being ignorant and elitist. We need to lose sleep wondering how we could possibly mess up. Of course we're not playing, but don't toss out the bathtub with the bathwater. :nono:

Heard a guy call into Swain this morning with the "DeBord and Strip were on Michigan's staff" as a trivia question for Jayson.....asked the question and then did his version of dropping the mic. Lol. It was ridiculous IMO.

We're gonna roll Appy State by no less than 30 points IMO...wish em well beginning a week from Friday. Until then though, bless their hearts.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back