Inside the Battle at Bristol: The biggest college football game ever

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...ristol-the-biggest-college-football-game-ever

20 years in the making

Legendary race track owner Bruton Smith and his company – Speedway Motorsports, Inc. – bought the historic racetrack in 1996. Almost immediately, Smith and his leadership team had interest in hosting a football game.
“We’re in racing and college football country, those are the two things” said Logan McCabe, vice president of consumer group at Bristol Motor Speedway. “I guess you could throw religion in there too…
“To some, racing and college football is a religion.”
Even walking through the NASCAR crowd, the demographics are obvious. Tennessee orange and Virginia Tech maroon dominated the crowd.
Bristol is positioned perfectly for a matchup of this caliber. While the track is in Bristol, Tenn., it is a sister city with nearby Bristol, Va., right on the cusp of ACC country. When a resident says they are Bristol, they make sure you know which side.
“Anybody who’s from the Tennessee side of Bristol is a UT fan, and the other side is full of Virginia Tech fans,” said Jeremy Davidson, director of business development at Bristol Motor Speedway. “People knew about the possibility, that this had been discussed for 20 years. This place is like a football stadium on steroids.”
Smith came to the University of Tennessee with the idea first, but struggled to get everyone on board. It was the height of the Phil Fulmer era in Knoxville, but neutral-site games had not yet reached prominence. The talks died out.
Then in 2001, on a train to South Bend, Ind., before a Volunteer matchup with Notre Dame, talks started again.
“The Tennessee athletic director came up to me and said we just planned a series against Marshall, and we think that would be a great game for your place,” McCabe said. “We came back and talked about it, but it just didn’t make sense for us.”
Then in 2005, Smith made a very sizable offer to both Tennessee and Virginia Tech to play at the racetrack. Bristol Motor Speedway is almost exactly halfway in between Tennessee and Virginia Tech – 106 vs. 108 miles. Even though talks did not play out, the matchup became the focus.
Finally, between 2012 and 2013, things clicked. The late Jim Weaver, Virginia Tech’s athletic director, was enthusiastic about the event. Frank Beamer called Bristol Motor Speedway his second favorite venue in the world (behind Lane Stadium, of course).
Tennessee also showed renewed interest in the event, pitched as the biggest football game of all time. Dave Hart and Butch Jones both agreed to the event, which was announced in 2013. Pilot Flying J, founded by former Volunteer football player Jim Haslam, was announced as the lead sponsor in 2015.
We had a game.

This is an amazing read and it really puts into perspective everything that had to come together and happen for this game to exist today. It is going to be a once in a lifetime type of experience and come September 10 TN and VT will be the darlings of the American sports world.

Go Vols.

Reactions: 6 people
But, but, they'll never get the grass seed to come up and take root in 2.5 weeks.

Nice article and very interesting. I had to read the original story @ BoB twice and make sure the calendar was not on 4/1. Rumors had been bouncing around since the 2000s iirc. I remember the early days on VN where people got flamed for even asking @ the possibility of this event. LOL.

Reactions: 1 person
The logistics are insane. We should be incredibly proud that we will be part of the biggest college football game in history.

Reactions: 4 people
But, but, they'll never get the grass seed to come up and take root in 2.5 weeks.

Nice article and very interesting. I had to read the original story @ BoB twice and make sure the calendar was not on 4/1. Rumors had been bouncing around since the 2000s iirc. I remember the early days on VN where people got flamed for even asking @ the possibility of this event. LOL.

The amount of people who actually think that we're going to play on grass blows my mind.

We haven't been able to get the grass to be worth a damn in our own stadium, let alone in Bristol with ~2 weeks to go.

Reactions: 2 people
Here are some pictures taken yesterday that I don't think you will see anywhere else. They are rolling in the turf today!

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• BAB1.jpg
    BAB1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 20
  • BAB2.jpg
    BAB2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 20
  • BAB3.jpg
    BAB3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: 4 people
Maybe I missed it but has a game time been announced yet. Will be on a flight coming back to Tn. that Saturday. don't want to miss anything. TIA

Maybe I missed it but has a game time been announced yet. Will be on a flight coming back to Tn. that Saturday. don't want to miss anything.

The Battle @ Bristol will be 8 p.m. Eastern, aired on ABC.

Hope you're back in time; welcome home, in advance. :good!:

I wonder what they are doing to field after game and whether they will restore the concave asphalt to original condition before they filled and made it a crown surface for football field.

I wonder what they are doing to field after game and whether they will restore the concave asphalt to original condition before they filled and made it a crown surface for football field.

There will be a second game on the field the following week I think but expect the crowd to be slightly smaller since it pits ETSU vs maybe Western Carolina. After that I am not sure what they will do with the infield but likely will revert back to its pregame status as it wouldn't serve very well for races.

There will be a second game on the field the following week I think but expect the crowd to be slightly smaller since it pits ETSU vs maybe Western Carolina. After that I am not sure what they will do with the infield but likely will revert back to its pregame status as it wouldn't serve very well for races.

Yes all this will be removed. I do not know what they're going to do with the field though.

I'm hoping they'll either donate it to ETSU or possibly some local high school.

Yes all this will be removed. I do not know what they're going to do with the field though.

I'm hoping they'll either donate it to ETSU or possibly some local high school.

I am not an astroturf expert, but I doubt it does all that well being torn up and placed elsewhere. Look for it to be cut into squares and sold to fans.

I think many of you would be surprised at how many UT fans live in Southwest Virginia. I would say in the border counties of Lee, Scott, and Washington (and Bristol City), there are just as many UT fans as Virginia Tech fans. Simply because UT has been such a big brand for such a long time. VT really wasn't that big of a deal until the Beamer era.

VN Store

Back